Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to i3 ownership and this forum. Having trawled through the forum and contacted a few Warranty companies, does anyone have any recent advice please.
Just bought a Nov 2017 96ah BEV i3 and love it. Am looking to buy a 1 year warranty but struggling with perhaps the best/most cost effective company.
BMW direct too expensive. ALA/RAC Premium does not appear to be specifically for EVs £285. Motoreasy seem to be the best as specifically for EVs but quite pricy (I think) at £750.
Any thoughts or ideas please? Anyone had any claims on a late 2017 i3 BEV?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
BMW servicing and repairs are expensive compared to many other marques. Personally, I would go for BMW's extended warranty as it does offer greater assurance that you will not end up fighting off warranty exclusions. You can hedge your cost by agreeing to a voluntary excess.

FWiW, I am on my second i3. The first, a REx, suffered from the well known fuel tank sensor problem, and my 120Ah has had an EME replacement. I was told that the latter would have cost over £4K. Both repairs were under warranty. That said, the fuel tank sensor problem became apparent about 3 days before the end of the warranty period and I had to run around to find a dealer that would agree to investigate the problem before the warranty expired.

·
Registered
BMW i3
417 Posts
Our 66 reg AUC i3 has been fine thus far but I’ll probably go for the BMW warranty once current one expires - perhaps with an excess to bring down the cost. (not checked the figures as yet)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts