Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the i3 hold up on the motorway in terms of comfort?

I’d be using a 120ah model for a 60 mile round trip commute so presumably loads of headroom range wise even in winter at normal motorway speeds rather than a slow crawl

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
533 Posts
Should be fine. It's quite comfortable and has plenty of power left at motorway speeds too. The lowest range number I've seen for a 120Ah for winter motorway driving is still over 100 miles so you'll have no issue and you may not even need to charge every single night, particularly as the weather warms up. Or, ironically, if you get stuck in traffic - the range will increase just because you're going slower! (How unlike a petrol car!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d say 50% of the commute is stop start traffic on the motorway so that’s a good point!

My employer are offering me one for £250/mo including insurance and fully maintained with no deposit. Feels too good to ignore!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's ok, not brilliant. I regularly do a motorway commute and it's a little harsh and you keep having to correct the steering with the slightest bump. I guess it's due to the tyres and the lightness of the car. My 10-year old 330d was a dream in the motorway, even with over 100k on the clock. Also the range gets eaten away very quickly at 80 mph (the speed I usually do)...

But like you say, at that price, it's difficult to decline that offer...

Prob best to take one on a 3-day test drive so you can take it to the limits and decide if it tickles your fancy...

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'd just stick the cruise control on at 70mph, and relax. If you hit traffic in theory you could use the ACC (if you have it) though tales of its unreliability would make me hesitate.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I'd just stick the cruise control on at 70mph, and relax. If you hit traffic in theory you could use the ACC (if you have it) though tales of its unreliability would make me hesitate.
I use the ACC on my i3 all of the time. Yes, occasionally low sun or rain makes it cut out but that's a minor price to pay for the convenience the rest of the time.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve booked a test drive. Will see if they’ll let me keep it for a few days to test out the commute!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought a 3 month old 69 plate i3S 120 and do an almost entire motorway commute of 60 miles a day which includes maybe 10 miles of 60mph country roads. I find it handles really well and is a nice place to be for around 1 1/2hrs of my day.

I agree it can be a little twitchy but there are trade offs with all cars and it’s not something that would put you off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only thing I find a little annoying on motorway drives is that I find it tricky to drive at a constant speed. I accelerate up to a speed, relax my foot and then realise my speed is drooping. Cruise control fixes this obviously, but the 1-pedal driving nature which I love so much in town works against me on the motorway.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I find it fine on motorways but the range does suffer significantly at higher speeds which is why in Eco Pro Plus there is a “soft“ speed stop at 56 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I’m not worried about range as plenty of headroom on my commute (54 mile round trip).

Thought was more around stability / comfort at speed. Would the i3S be much better in that regard or not noticeably so?

Is the twitchiness at high speed something that could be fixed with alignment adjustment or just down to the quick steering?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
You will get used to the quick steering. It does not twitch at speed on a good surface. I found the car to be very good on the motorway. Two features standout. You sit up high so visibility is excellent and the 50 to 70 mph for a lane change is brisk so it makes it easy to move the car into a clear space. You will be calmer and more relaxed driving a BEV than an ICE. Be warned there is no going back once you have got used to a BEV.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You will get used to the quick steering. It does not twitch at speed on a good surface. I found the car to be very good on the motorway. Two features standout. You sit up high so visibility is excellent and the 50 to 70 mph for a lane change is brisk so it makes it easy to move the car into a clear space. You will be calmer and more relaxed driving a BEV than an ICE. Be warned there is no going back once you have got used to a BEV.
The narrow tyres can get stuck in the tramlines created by HGVs in the inside line. Having had a new 330D as a loaner for a few days, I would say that the classic ICE is a better long range commuting car. That said, one can take a bit of discomfort whilst thinking about the £s and planets saved.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
The narrow tyres can get stuck in the tramlines created by HGVs in the inside line. Having had a new 330D as a loaner for a few days, I would say that the classic ICE is a better long range commuting car. That said, one can take a bit of discomfort whilst thinking about the £s and planets saved.
Yes., the shorter wheel base does have an impact, so it does not feel so planted for straight line running as a 330D would. However for me the way the i3 drives keeps one more alert. The quiet and lack of vibration helps keep the driver fresh and focused. As for tramlines I didn't think BMWs were designed to go on the inside lane anyway! :)

A 330D without winter tyres is a nightmare in snow and ice. The i3 with weight over the rear wheels is much better behaved in adverse conditions.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
533 Posts
A lot of modern cars are designed with ultra-fast steering racks, it's a safety improvement in some respects, but it can make for slightly less "stable" feel on long straight roads. You learn more finesse on the wheel - it's not like there's no way to drive it smoothly, it just takes a little adaption on your part.

·
Registered
283 Posts
No problem at all, my Mway round trip commute is 90 miles.

I set the adaptive cruise at 72 miles an hour - my 45 mile commute has 8 miles of country lanes, the rest is dual carriageway and motorway. Currently there are roadworks so have to drop to 50mph for about 10 miles. I consistently use 30% of the battery each way. So the i3s 120ah uses in the current winter weather 60% over this 90 miles. I love it very stable and no issues at all and great fun to drive. I have played around with Eco mode, makes very little difference on my run, so just keep it in comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Useful stuff thank you guys. Will get my test drive sorted and hopefully order.

Drive an M3 at the moment so expect comfort will be a lot better regardless!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts