Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low speed accident, wife driving and she got hit from the rear so at the moment it looks like both rear side panels, charging port shroud, front and rear bumper, some scuffing on the 2" high lower trim of the tailgate. Hopefully no damage to the CRP.

October 2016 car, just under 29k miles. Hopefully they don't write it off. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Ouch - I feel your pain. The rear of an i3 can look a real mess post even the smallest of bumps. I assume that the glass on the tailgate is still intact?

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, insured with LV who have been good so far. Monday being a holiday it will probably not get to the repairers until mid next week. We're off down to Italy again on the 5th in the model 3 so if we can get the admin done while we're away that would be a bonus. I'd kept the Up as a first car for the kids but so far no progress on the driving test front so I might end up selling both (if it's not written off) and replacing it with another EV (obviously)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,359 Posts
Yup, insured with LV who have been good so far. Monday being a holiday it will probably not get to the repairers until mid next week. We're off down to Italy again on the 5th in the model 3 so if we can get the admin done while we're away that would be a bonus. I'd kept the Up as a first car for the kids but so far no progress on the driving test front so I might end up selling both (if it's not written off) and replacing it with another EV (obviously)
Maybe an e-Up (for the kids obvs)?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Is there any chance of other party's insurers covering all your losses, so there is no need to claim on your own insurance?

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping the claim will be on the other cars Insurance yes, there was a police car 2 cars behind, they didn't see it but they have filed a report. My wife said she indicated to pull into the outside lane at a set of roadworks/traffic lights, there was a gap but seems as if the taxi driver wasn't prepared to let her into it. No news yet on getting it picked up, will probably hear tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Is there any chance of other party's insurers covering all your losses, so there is no need to claim on your own insurance?
You still have to advise your insurers of any accident so I don't see how it helps. Failing to advise them is against policy terms and they could refuse cover.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
there was a police car 2 cars behind, they didn't see it but they have filed a report.
Oh ....... If the police have filed a report, then it is likely that the taxi driver will receive a fine for taking up their time to complete the paperwork !.
Not a good day at the office for him at least.
Probably already looking for another job by now ?.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,359 Posts
You still have to advise your insurers of any accident so I don't see how it helps. Failing to advise them is against policy terms and they could refuse cover.
Agreed. I learned this the hard way after an accident a few years ago for which the other party paid for all my repairs.
I didn't tell my insurer, and although I wasn't refused cover over it, my premium for the next year got a sharp increase.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts
Apparently they’ve worked out that if you’re involved in an accident, even if it’s not your fault, you are then more likely to be involved in another. Go figure! (@80698 ;) )

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
I'm hoping the claim will be on the other cars Insurance yes, there was a police car 2 cars behind, they didn't see it but they have filed a report. My wife said she indicated to pull into the outside lane at a set of roadworks/traffic lights, there was a gap but seems as if the taxi driver wasn't prepared to let her into it. No news yet on getting it picked up, will probably hear tomorrow.
Might not have even needed to. Taxi should have merged in turn automatically.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

·
30,251 Posts
You two have said different things there.

Yes, inform them. Tell them you don't intend to make a claim. Advise them, but don't claim. End of.

I have had this happen twice. It was no claim. When you go for insurance they ask you if a) you have made a claim (NO) and b) have you had an accident (NO .. the other guy did!).

·
30,251 Posts
FWIW insurers are often liars and the worst of the fraudsters.

One of those incidents, I was stopped to pull into a parking space, and another guy just simply drove into me. He said sorry, my old car appeared to have received a slight improvement ( ;) ) and his light cluster was all mashed in and was clearly going to cost a bob or two on a new car. We exchanged details, I said I wasn't bothered and would not claim, but would tell my insurance company of it, all happy with that.

A few weeks later I get a letter from his insurer saying 'You drove into our stationary client, your fault' kind of thing. So I 'phoned him up, on record, and said 'Oh, that incident where we had a collision. I've told my insurer no claim because not much damage and you drove into me, right?' 'Yep' 'Did you tell your insurers that I drove into you' 'Nope, it was my fault I told them that, and I hit you when stationary'.

I ignored the letter.

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They've had a look, we're on holiday now for a week (out of the country) so I guess we'll find out more when we get back.

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's all back, not a bad job and the warranty renewal (£718) is here so I think keep it for another year and see if there are any 2nd hand ID.3's knocking round in a years time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts