Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow I3 owners, I am a week into ownership of my 2017 I3. I love everything about the car.....apart from the infotainment system.
Coming from a 2018 Seat Leon, it's like stepping back to the Stone Age! The Leon had a large touch screen with Android Auto. The I3 has....a 10 year old I drive system.
Even the HK speakers are pretty rubbish compared to the Leon.
I was thinking of getting an Android tablet and mounting it below the dash and running Android auto on that. Anyone done anything similar?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,673 Posts
Some people have been installing an aftermarket kit that allows Android/Apple apps to be used with the existing display, I'm thinking of going down that route so I can use Waze etc instead of the BMW SatNav which is pants.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Did the 2017s have the older iDrive? I quite like the lack of dependence on touch screens, at least you can operate it while you're driving, but the older cars screen was a bit disappointing and the lack of Android Auto support is frankly scandalous.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Some people have been installing an aftermarket kit that allows Android/Apple apps to be used with the existing display, I'm thinking of going down that route so I can use Waze etc instead of the BMW SatNav which is pants.
Link to the kit, please.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Yes, 2018 models brought in the newer iDrive gear. A much bigger screen for a start. Still no android auto support.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Link to the kit, please.
+1

I also drive a newer ICE BMW which has Apple CarPlay - it's a pleasure to use, and it has changed my view on the i3 in-car system.
I end up with Deezer tunes and Waze nav much more often than I use the BMW 'dark side' of the system.

It's not perfect, but being able to dictate WhatsApp replies and use my apps on the go is brilliant.

If there was an ECU kit to retro-fit this to our late '16 i3 I would buy it in a heartbeat, especially if it used the existing screen.
No touchscreen needed, the ergonomics of the iDrive knob are much better when you're driving anyway.

Personally, I think a 'thin client' in the car with OEM money diverted to a nice screen / HUD as 'in-car interface elements' is the future.
Consumers need Android Auto & CarPlay prep. Our iWatches and smartphones are personal digital / cyber hubs already.

:unsure:

·
The best there is at what I do
10,673 Posts
Link to the kit, please.

These are some I've found:

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's really tempting - especially because the first Ali Express page has an i3 owner leaving a positive review with a photo.
For us, this upgrade would cement the i3 as a long term keeper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am contemplating trading in my 2018 i3Rex for a 2020 i3s one of the accessories that I must have is apple carPlay which my current vehicle doesn't have.
It says in the blurb that apple carPlay preparation is standard in the 13s am I correct in assuming that this will work with my phone off the bat or is there something else that I need to purchase?
The wording (preparation) is slightly unnerving.
Would someone clear this up for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Hmm, correction, airplay prep shows as being standard in the configurator but I don't and won't have any apple devices so I have no idea if it works or not..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Its just that I've heard the prep may only be some wifi ariel thing and looking at the kit required in this post it looks quite a bit of hardware so im still not sure.
Anyone else please!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your car has NBT EVO then carplay is possible on any i3 as long as you install the wi-fi antenna - these are about £20 from BMW. You then have to either buy the subscription for BMW if your car came with Carplay prep or extended bluetooth (6NS, like mine or 6NW) or you get an aftermarket activation.

Beware of some aftermarket activations, if the car goes in to BMW for a software update and the activation has no restore process then your headunit will comeback without the Carplay, Nav, Voice control and Apps - this is because of an Activation Code mismatch - BMW will tell you it has been tampered with and try to charge you for a new headunit (£1700) - this can be fixed with the right tools but is a faff on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks NMONKEY its a lot clearer now.
No worries, hope it made sense.

The hardware solutions are ok but only use the AUX in on the headunit so the sound quality is well below par compared to the factory Carplay which uses WiFi for the connection.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No worries, hope it made sense.

The hardware solutions are ok but only use the AUX in on the headunit so the sound quality is well below par compared to the factory Carplay which uses WiFi for the connection.
As far as I know a non-LCI car (e.g. one without the newest iDrive) needs an extra box, not just the wifi antenna. Is that the case @NMonkey ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts