Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my experiences with my first EV, a BMW i3 94Ah LCI, ordered on Nov 11th 2017 and collected on 6th March 2018.

The black lining to this cloud was the complete dissipation of my ‘new toy’ enthusiasm over the 4 months.
Collecting the car and being subjected to the ‘BMW Bonding’ theatrical was a complete boring chore. Starting at 3.00pm I just got out by 5.30pm.

The Low Emission Allowance (scrappage scheme) worth £2,000, has in my case been a real roller coaster affair.
On (during the initial sales pitch).
Off (new car not available until after the Dec 31st cut-off date).
On (after a forum member pointed me to BMW documentation extending the closure date).
Off again (when the replacement sales person checked the scheme in detail).
The final straw being the age of my diesel Peugeot 205; 1992 is too old, the scheme only allows for cars no older than 2005.

Melbourne Red is advertised as metallic, but any metal sparkle is entirely absent.
However, the PDI was thorough enough get wax polish over the screens, creating a less than clear result when the weather turned to rain.
The silver lining was that the previously unused Comma Glass Cleaner, I had bought some time ago, was found to do an excellent job.

The rod antenna that should be screwed into the fin aerial housing was found still securely packed in one of the plastic bags in the front trunk, along with the redundant number plate fitting kit (redundant because the Dealer did their own thing).

Having been lead by the nose to the BMW documentation, the sales team say the no-cost, complimentary, 5 metre Type 2 cable is on order, but gave no date as to when it might arrive.
The silver lining to this cloud is that I have been able to test a couple of 3-pin extension leads, establishing for myself how hot they get (lukewarm only).

This LCI has a much harsher ride than the 94Ah demonstrator I had on 24 hour loan, (Registration YB17 XXD, 7 digit VIN V719899, Production Date 12/04/2017).
Either there has been an unannounced change to the springing, or the characteristics change markedly in the 18 months of life.
Yes, I have checked the tyre pressures, they were accurate to within a pound or two.

To finish this first post on a positive note, I am quite taken by Comfort Access, now I have discovered how to lock the car using Comfort Access.

Regards.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it's now 21 days since collection, today being notable for my first round trip of over 50 miles, 92 being recorded.

The real frisson of excitement was that the Chesterfield Dealership STILL haven't delivered a Type 2 cable, and I wasn't sure how much the hills of the scenic route through the Peak District between Matlock and Holmfirth would impact on the 'fuel' consumption.
A restrained 'Steady Eddie' driving style proved effective, according to the GOM I have 38 miles left in the tank.

I was chicken enough to pack the EVSE and a 20 metre mains extension lead, just in case.

I appear to have mastered locking the car 'first time (almost) every time' using the single finger technique associated with Comfort Access.
I've also managed to get the passenger mirror to auto dip when reverse is selected, although I'm not sure what action I've taken to enable this, when the first half dozen attempts failed.

Regards.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Davidss, that is interesting you say the ride is harsher in the LCI as I had heard the opposite, I find the ride in my 2016 REX 19” wheels to be far better than I dared hope for, not sure I would even contemplate the 20” wheels now if the choice arose.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what to say here.
Yes I'm in the UK, so drive on the left, and it is the left mirror that dips in reverse.
However the mirror selection switch has to be on the Right to engage the facility.

It's interesting in that you can switch the facility off (mirror selection to the left), then partway through your next reverse you can switch it on, and after a seconds delay the mirror will dip. Of course you have to stop the manouvre in order to both find the switch and wait for the dip action to be effective.
Stopping while halfway through a reverse might cause some frustration to other road users, when it pays to adopt the default attitude, 'I drive a BMW, what do I care?'.
My comments about design team who 'hide' the facility away on an unmarked, hard to find button, can be summarised as 'total contempt'. You really don't want the detail, and I don't want to get that angry.

Yes, the LCI is fitted with 19" wheels, I have just raised my total mileage to 686 miles, and I do still find the ride harsh. In fact, I've realised the associated discomfort is what keeps my natural cruising speed 'low', generally less than 60mph. (This is NOT what I wanted when I bought the car, and the test drive routes were deliberately chosen to test this aspect of the car. The test car passed, the LCI wouldn't).This is on the naturally uneven roads of the Peak District.

The enforced low speed is probably why, on the last 45 mile trip, the app can report fuel consumption of 4.3 mi/kWh.
I'm not sure what the reported Recuperation, during the same trip, says about my driving, 10.3 mi/kWh.

Regards

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not sure what to say either......apart from “oops, my bad” every other vehicle I have had the mirror control had to be switched to the side you wanted to dip to enable the facility, BMW it appears do their own thing.

Shows you how much we ever use the facility :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are a few things on the i3 which make sense for the LHD models but not the RHD models. The position of the radio on/off switch (quite a stretch for us UK folk) and the gear selector being on the 'wrong' side of the steering column are two examples. I'm guessing that, in small quantities, it was not economic to adjust them for our market.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes the radio switch is a glaring oddity, but I find the start/stop/gear selector to be in the perfect position, maybe LHD versions it feels wrong? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts