Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody come from an Ioniq BEV?

Most of my driving is only 1 person on fast A roads so space isn’t an issue. Currently considering a 94 i3 BEV or a 28 kWh Ioniq?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do test drive both. For me on my 90mile round trip motorway commute the i3s is fantastic. Generally just me in the car, sometimes 2 but the car has the capability for 4. The boot is surprisingly big when one or two seats down. Most of all the i3s accelartion is amazing on A roads, Not tried the Ioniq - I always choose a car for the journey I do most.

·
Premium Member
11,586 Posts
Yeah, drive them both, ideally for a decent time.

We had an i3 for 4 months while waiting for our Model 3. Maybe as a second car it is OK but we used ours for longer trips too and neither me nor OH liked it. The positives were - it was quick, the TACC worked and voice control was good. The latter was fortunate as the UI and buttons everywhere was a nightmare - I also couldn't believe it didn't have Android Auto even as an option ? Ride wasn't good either and boot size was pathetic - we weren't happy about dropping seats and leaving stuff visible while grabbing lunch over a charge.

I know many BMW fans love their i3 so maybe it suits some people and their use case. For local or commuting use I wouldn't spend the money over a Zoe (I am not a badge snob) and IMO it isn't a long distance car. I believe sales and used values were inflated by it being the only small EV "badge snobs" would buy - we have friends who wouldn't be seen dead in a Renault ? As more EVs enter market (eg Mini & Honda) that will probably change, so used values might drop.

If long range isn't too important do also consider the eGolf. There are some great deals on pre-reg right now. Use prices will probably stay strong as is both practical and has VW "quality" perception in market. I am not a VW fan but recognise it's strengths in market.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Note the warranty on the Ioniq. If buying second-hand that might be worth something.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
730 Posts
I went from an 94ah i3 to a 28 kWh Ioniq, the Ioniq is a much more chilled & comfortable place to be & much more practical with its bigger boot, the i3 is quirky, fun & sporty... I got roughly the same range out of both, 125 winter, 150 summer..
The 5 yr warranty is better for peace of mind on the Ioniq & it's also cheaper for tyres & servicing ...
Depends what your requirements are?
Practical & roomy or fun & sporty with higher running costs...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I test drove both of them when I was looking for a EV.
Ioniq is unbeatable interns of value for money, comfortable and large enough boot. The best thing to remove the terrible “foot parking brake” and have an electronic one instead. It was quite even at motorway speed, not a lot of wind noise.
However, the interior is typical Korean , but boring and it is a car take you from A to B comfortable not excitingly

i3 on the other hand if you have little use of a 5th seat, it is the most “driver” EV I have even test, (never test a Tesla or Porsch, or I-pace). The interior look very roomy and the design feel futuristic. However, do not expect top spec 3 series premium feeling and despite everything is optional, i3 is still “lack of options” to customise unlike those 3er or even 5er. Wind nose is more noticeable than ioniq. Yet, if you want a sporty and gimmick EV with relatively lower cost, i3 is the only choice in the used market so far

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went from an 94ah i3 to a 28 kWh Ioniq, the Ioniq is a much more chilled & comfortable place to be & much more practical with its bigger boot, the i3 is quirky, fun & sporty... I got roughly the same range out of both, 125 winter, 150 summer..
The 5 yr warranty is better for peace of mind on the Ioniq & it's also cheaper for tyres & servicing ...
Depends what your requirements are?
Practical & roomy or fun & sporty with higher running costs...
did your i3 have the heat pump? I assume no Rex.
I’m pleasantly surprised it offers similar range.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
730 Posts
No heat pump or Rex in my i3 but it's your right foot that effects range the most, I did find it harder to drive the i3 really economically thanks to the addictive shove when throttle is planted but if you can resist that then your rewarded with better range..
The Ioniq does have a heat pump & is more aerodynamic + I found it easier to drive economically, it's still pretty quick in sport mode if needed, but not as tempting as the i3 to stomp on the loud pedal, or rather quiet pedal in an EV ?..
One thing that really impressed me with the 28 kWh Ioniq is how quick it charges, see Bjorns videos to see how good it is compared to other stuff..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts