Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if any i3 owners on the forum had signed up for any of the BMW I packages, such as ChargeNow or Access? We're not in a position to afford more than one car (especially if one of them's an i3!) and so I find the idea of discounted access to a larger BMW ICE appealing for occasional use. I'd be glad to hear any views or experiences - also is it worth signing up to a package that includes msintenance, given that these should be fairly low maintenance cars anyway?

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
ChargeNow is pointless, you just pay unnecessarily for access to the Chargemaster network. I can't see any benefit in the Access scheme either. Perhaps it depends on your likely useage.

I do have the standard maintainance package but it's probably not really worth it because I don't expect to need more than two services anyway.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worked out that the Access component costs £300 a year, whereas the value of car hire provided is approx £450 if you restrict yourself to odd weekends. However the benefit shrinks if you aim to use a BMW ICE for a 2 week touring holiday abroad, in which case there is no particular benefit. The 20% discount offered to VW EV drivers by Europcar is similarly unconvincing.

It's a shame that the economics for these plans don't work out more favourably, as psychologically a package like this could help a lot of people become reconciled to a BEV as their only car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts