Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any RExizens (edited) here know more than me (not hard) about the benefits of using premium petrol? I know this is one of those debates around claim vs no difference, but any extra miles of range in such a thing?

D'you know? RExist sounds like some sort of anti-REx predjudiced person. That's no good at all...

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
I've done long runs with both bog-standard and premium, and the be honest I didn't see/feel/here any kind of difference. Range's were roughly the same but I was going down hill one way and slightly uphill the other so its not quite an apple to apple's comparison. GOM read roughly the same to within a couple miles in both cases when brimmed.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done long runs with both bog-standard and premium, and the be honest I didn't see/feel/here any kind of difference. Range's were roughly the same but I was going down hill one way and slightly uphill the other so its not quite an apple to apple's comparison. GOM read roughly the same to within a couple miles in both cases when brimmed.
Thanks muchly.

I think in my ICE-focused days the debate settled on if your car needs it don't not use it, but if it doesn't need it, you may not see much difference. Not familiar with bike engines, so don't know if bikers use premium fuel to a greater or lesser degree than car drivers...

·
Registered
731 Posts
It certainly made a differance to my MPG on a recent bike tour but to be honest I think that's because the standard fuel had something like 10% ethernol in it. The bike seemed to really suffer running on that.

I can't see it making a lot of differance in a rex. I doubt it's fuel system is capable of adjusting the fuel map to suit it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It depends. If your not using it hard then normal is fine but if your using it hard id use 99ron for a few reasons. No pinking. Possibly better fuel consumption. Also if that fuel is sitting there for ages then if it loses a few octanes it's still 95+ compared to using standard 95ron and losing some octane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts