Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So later this year I will be servicing the I3, this got me thinking what exactly it will need? A pollen filter, oil and filter change check brake fluid with tester then the Rex part plugs, air filter? and will the coolant require a change? Has anybody got a link to a real service schedule for the car

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, I've just had my 2017 i3 REx serviced last week - I've had the car from new and this is its second service. Here's the list of items they changed, as listed on the service invoice:
  • Engine oil change and oil filter change
  • Microfilter service (i.e. change pollen filter)
  • Change brake fluid

...And that's everything! No mention of changing the air filter or spark plugs for the REx. There are a number of other things that they "checked" listed on the service sheet (e.g. check function of parking brake, check coolant level, reset electronic service indicator on the dashboard etc), but no other parts were replaced.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The important bits (or the bits that wear/degrade) are the brake fluid and cabin filter, the REX engine filter and spark plugs (normally) never get anywhere near their service life as used so infrequently, unless your a user who needs the the REX on almost every journey.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts
Its all I am planning on doing as well, spark plugs and air filters do 20k normally I doubt my rex has done 1K, the oil looks like it was put in yesterday not 2 years ago
Do you run the REX engine much? [as a precaution to keep the internals oiled]

·
Registered
721 Posts
Beginning of every month for 20 mins, I know it cycles every six weeks, but I would rather choose when I want it to run than when it wants to run
This does work, we tend to run it when the occasional trip to the butchers (8 miles) or something further is needed, it just negates the sudden unexpected maintenance cycle on a short journey starts, and then you arrive home with it still running and not finished.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today the car went to Stratstone in Chesterfield, it had been to Arnold Clark to have a new front tyre fitted under warranty and then to BMW for four wheel alignment and a wash and vac. An hour later phone call to collect car not washed and when I drove down the bypass the steering wheel is off center Grrrrrr! I also had a quote for the second service £349.16 including the Vat, the trouble is would you trust them? I am afraid that the work wont be done right so i definitely will be doing it myself I think, the only issue is the battery warranty, the car has done 54K already so only 25k ish left, its not the cost its whether it will be done right and not just treated as a money making episode?

·
Registered
721 Posts
So today the car went to Stratstone in Chesterfield, it had been to Arnold Clark to have a new front tyre fitted under warranty and then to BMW for four wheel alignment and a wash and vac. An hour later phone call to collect car not washed and when I drove down the bypass the steering wheel is off center Grrrrrr! I also had a quote for the second service £349.16 including the Vat, the trouble is would you trust them? I am afraid that the work wont be done right so i definitely will be doing it myself I think, the only issue is the battery warranty, the car has done 54K already so only 25k ish left, its not the cost its whether it will be done right and not just treated as a money making episode?
You are going to take it back and get the wheel centred, just as it is specified in the repair manual?

Steering wheel/rack should be locked/fixed in central position and then each front wheel aligned in turn.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are going to take it back and get the wheel centred, just as it is specified in the repair manual?

Steering wheel/rack should be locked/fixed in central position and then each front wheel aligned in turn.
Yes I am I will mark the position of the wheel when driving straight to show them its out, I am disappointed with them. What is an issue is that it more than likely has had front and rear tracking issues from day one, which doesnt say a lot about BMW quality control

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes I am I will mark the position of the wheel when driving straight to show them its out, I am disappointed with them. What is an issue is that it more than likely has had front and rear tracking issues from day one, which doesnt say a lot about BMW quality control
Was it tyre wear or general handling made you suspect from day one?

I must say ours has been fine, especially after reading lots of posts about high speed stability as ours seems to not be affected any more than any other car we have had, I have even driven it in winds/storm that lifted the wipers off the screen and not had a scary moment whizzing along.

I just wonder if the alignment is very sensitive to this and maybe we got lucky and it’s either bonk on or off the correct bit to make it stable......strange, our tyre usage has been about a set per 18K miles which I though not to bad considering.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was it tyre wear or general handling made you suspect from day one?

I must say ours has been fine, especially after reading lots of posts about high speed stability as ours seems to not be affected any more than any other car we have had, I have even driven it in winds/storm that lifted the wipers off the screen and not had a scary moment whizzing along.

I just wonder if the alignment is very sensitive to this and maybe we got lucky and it’s either bonk on or off the correct bit to make it stable......strange, our tyre usage has been about a set per 18K miles which I though not to bad considering.
The last MOT said all tyres wearing on inside edge, the dealership changed 3 of them before putting it up for sale. It was transferred to Chesterfield where I asked the question whether it had been tracked, they said no and said they would track it, in the end they replaced the last tyre and sent it to BMW to track as they said their tracker wasnt suitable, the car handled fine but I didnt want to ruin tryes that were new, once wear starts you cant stop it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.