Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owners know what the service schedule actually is?

Is the £375 fixed price deal worth it?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Any owners know what the service schedule actually is?
There is no service schedule as such - like other modern BMWs the i3 uses condition based servicing - it monitors itself and requests different types of service when needed based on how it is used. In my experience this greatly cuts the requirements back because you are not needlessly changing perfectly good oil or other parts.

The BMWi App currently shows my car as needing a Brake fluid service and Inspection 2 years from the purchase date.

There also isn't any service log book - nothing to get stamped. The car maintains its own service record.

Is the £375 fixed price deal worth it?
I don't think anyone knows that yet, we'll find out in 3 years. (I didn't take it.)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
FWIW I'm probably going to go for the fixed servicing but only because I'll exceed the 50,000m limit anyway on my 4 year plan. Not sure whether the maintenance + service is worth it, but if it includes tyres then it may well be.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW I'm probably going to go for the fixed servicing but only because I'll exceed the 50,000m limit anyway on my 4 year plan. Not sure whether the maintenance + service is worth it, but if it includes tyres then it may well be.
Tyres alone likely to be more than £375 per pair, the higher fixed price deal includes brakes but don't think tyres.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Completely depends how long you have the car for, if it's 3 years/30k miles you will likely only have 1 service. Any ownership period which may require 2 services or more then it makes sense to get it as your unlikely to get 2 services cheaper than £375. The Service Inclusive Plus does not include tyres so that wouldn't appear to be worth going for as you shouldn't be wearing brakes out on the i3 for a long time. For the BEV 2 services may cost less than £375 though as there is clearly less to do!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm expecting to take delivery of my ex-demonstrator i3 REx within the next couple of weeks and am still undecided about the service plan.

I'm assuming (but will obviously check!) that the car will be prepped such that I shouldn't need any servicing for 2 years. I'm also not sure yet if I'll keep the car for 3 or 4 years, but probably not longer than that. So I'm really wondering if what seemed like a good package at first is actually worth it in practice.

Has anyone here even *had* their car serviced yet, if it's a 2-year interval? :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm assuming (but will obviously check!) that the car will be prepped such that I shouldn't need any servicing for 2 years. I'm also not sure yet if I'll keep the car for 3 or 4 years, but probably not longer than that. So I'm really wondering if what seemed like a good package at first is actually worth it in practice.

:)
I wouldn't bet on it. All BMWs now have Conditioned Based Servicing so why would the dealer service the vehicle? Check it - Yes; top up the REX oil - Yes but change the brake system hydraulic oil - no. Also, if the dealer has been demonstrating the REx on test drives then it is possible that it could require servicing before the 2 years are up. Ask your Dealer, all this information is available via the key fob and via the IDrive.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cheers! If it's truly the case that the cars may want different things serviced at unspecified times (ie on condition rather than on time) then maybe the £75/year really isn't a problem.

To be fair, I don't consider £375 over five years a bad deal per se - I've had a Freelander 2 the last 3.5 years which is NOT cheap to service each year (never mind the fuel etc), so as far as I'm concerned I'll be quids in :)

I found it quite interesting to compare when I test drove the Leaf because the Nissan dealer said they would have the car in annually and it was about £120.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
A quote from the BMW i3 Forum where this issue has also been debated:

'I've asked my dealer for servicing prices. £375 for 5 years servicing, which works out as 2 services at 24 and 48 months, is a no brainer, as every service on its own costs over £400 (for REx it also incl oils and fluids). Brake pads and discs add another £600 after 48 months - in today's prices.

So basic package: yes. Plus package: probably not.'

I confess that the prices quoted look a little high to me; that said, BMW labour has never been cheap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That was my thinking - I have the basic package too. But we should remember there is very little to service / go wrong - apart from the potential for nightmare electrical "silliness" - which wouldn't b covered anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I confess that the prices quoted look a little high to me; that said, BMW labour has never been cheap.
I think thats probably on the high side, I decided just to stick the money I would have spent to one side, I am probably looking at only once service over the 3 year lease so wasn't that fussed for the service plan - time will tell if thats a good idea, I have another year left before first interval service unless CBS triggers.

Also as an aside on log book, the iPhone app manual has been updated. When your serviced there will be a new menu in "Vehicle Information" that details the service history and when it was carried out. BMW and your dealer also get a ping from the car when it decides it wants to visit the Spa :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have had one service. They kept the car for 19 days & it was a lot more complicated & presumably time consuming than a simple service, but it cost nothing as we bought the plan.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
We have had one service. They kept the car for 19 days & it was a lot more complicated & presumably time consuming than a simple service, but it cost nothing as we bought the plan.
Clearly, there is more to this than just a simple service which should take no more than a few hours. Further clarification would be appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I understand it, when my car came to be serviced the high voltage disconnect system didn't work an they couldn't disconnect the battery, which was required before starting work. Finding a work around required the help of BMW in Munich & I don't know what they replaced etc. As the car was over 2 years old I would have expected to be charged for the considerable amount of work required.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
As I understand it, when my car came to be serviced the high voltage disconnect system didn't work an they couldn't disconnect the battery, which was required before starting work. Finding a work around required the help of BMW in Munich & I don't know what they replaced etc. As the car was over 2 years old I would have expected to be charged for the considerable amount of work required.
Thanks. Clearly, the dealer got BMW UK approval to do the extra work under warranty. The car warranty is, as I sure you know, 3 years and battery 8 years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts