Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,005 Posts
I think there is some man maths or something going on here. Lets take the NV200 dci - 108hp so 80kW ish. That's only got to deal with around 25kW into the cooling system at peak so the idea of a 34hp genny throwing more out seems a bit off. Infact I make it more like 8kW.
The engine runs all the time, the Rex only for short bursts. Think average heat displaced versus peak displaced.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm a big fan of the i3 Rex, so can totally understand why you have this idea.

How about if you had the Rex on a manual control, just a simple on/off?

The physical bit of fitting the Rex would be the easy bit (relatively!!), getting everything connected electrically sounds like a nightmare!

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
I think there is some man maths or something going on here. Lets take the NV200 dci - 108hp so 80kW ish. That's only got to deal with around 25kW into the cooling system at peak so the idea of a 34hp genny throwing more out seems a bit off. Infact I make it more like 8kW.
80kw output from a 33% efficient engine means 160kw of heat. 106kw goes out the exhaust pipe and 53kw goes into the cooling system. You're very unlikely to actually drive the vans engine at 80kw output for more than a couple of seconds when very aggressively overtaking in second gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I thought I should chime in as I'm considering doing the same thing to A Tesla. So here's what I know. The I3 Rex ICE is also used on scooters. Repurposing the electronics and cooling system from a scooter should be simple. That leaves the generator which I haven't figured out yet, but I'm thinking it could be hardwired. The Rex would have a manual switch to turn it on and off. Really shouldn't be that complicated.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,005 Posts
....That leaves the generator which I haven't figured out yet....
Yeah, along with all the other things you haven't figured out.

Never ceases to amaze me how people think engineering is so simple. Just throw in some magic ingredients and give it a shake.

I do, genuinely, wish you every success in accomplishing whatever it is that you are planning on and hope to see it soon. I'd like to see long range REx cars, maybe someone needs to do it who hasn't got a clue. Many a successful venture has come to fruition by people who hadn't got a clue when they started, because those that did have a clue clue see how much time and money it would take.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
It is possible:

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's interesting, I was going to start off by saying it's amazing how complicated people can make things, but I thought I world keep it positive. Are you familiar with the K.I.S.S. principle? Anyone can do anything, it's just a matter of determination and time.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The thought for this conversion and methodology reminds me of this

Alternatively wait for these to turn up, the Gripz, with a petrol-electric drivetrain using components from the Nissan Leaf. The whole job will be ready made!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It might be a whole lot easier to take a Prius or Ampera* and add batteries to get the EV range equivalent to a Leaf; wouldn't that be the same result?

*for something van-sized, there's the Toyota Estima hybrid.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Simplest of all is wait for the Mazda MX-30 with Wankel rotary engine Rex to appear. 35 kWh of battery, and as-yet-unknown power & tank-sized Ice should make a very useful combo. If they allow it to tow a small trailer then I'll be very interested indeed.

·
Premium Member
10,410 Posts
Deep pockets required but the "coming soon" LEVC van has 80 mile EV range and a REX (plus rapid charging)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Alternatively wait for these to turn up, the Gripz, with a petrol-electric drivetrain using components from the Nissan Leaf. The whole job will be ready made!
Jesus Christ have mercy, that is even uglier than a Cybertruck and I didn't believe that to be possible.
At least a Cybertruck is kinda "neat" because it looks like an oversized DeLorean. That "240Z" is just hideous.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Jesus Christ have mercy, that is even uglier than a Cybertruck and I didn't believe that to be possible.
At least a Cybertruck is kinda "neat" because it looks like an oversized DeLorean. That "240Z" is just hideous.
It's only a concept car though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
sounds do-able.

1/ It would need to mount on to the tow bar and maybe have straps up to the roof like a cycle carrier.
2/ Tapping the into the traction battery has been done. - it would need to always start after the car starts and shut down before the car shuts down or it will damage the leafs electrical system.
3/ you could make a radiator and fuel tank.
4/ control would be the hard bit. if you have to by-pass the BMW controller then you would have to invent something to vary the engine speed to control the amps.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Im not sure how the env200 counts its energy in and out of the battery, in the prius they use a coloumb counter.

When I added a leaf battery to the prius to make it into a 16kwh plug in hybrid (12kwh useable due to my generous voltage cut offs) we had to fit a pcb controller to intercept the warning codes from the battery ecu, as the ecu knew something was wrong as it could not account for the additinal energy the vehicle was seeing, so htrew out codes. The additional pcb knew the codes that were anticipated, so calculate its own decision on whether there was a battery issue, and oridnarilly intercepted and cancelled them.
Without this pcb, the prius would not run as the battery ecu would have shut down the car.
If a rex unit was to be fitted to a Env, or leaf, i`m inno doubt a similar device would be required.

Yeah, along with all the other things you haven't figured out.

Never ceases to amaze me how people think engineering is so simple. Just throw in some magic ingredients and give it a shake.

I do, genuinely, wish you every success in accomplishing whatever it is that you are planning on and hope to see it soon. I'd like to see long range REx cars, maybe someone needs to do it who hasn't got a clue. Many a successful venture has come to fruition by people who hadn't got a clue when they started, because those that did have a clue clue see how much time and money it would take.

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts
maybe the next leaf shoud have discreete mounting points for an outside engine?
I would rent it once a year maybe?
There isn't going to be a next LEAF. At least not anytime soon,.

Nissan's next EV, will likely have 300+ miles of range. Details are slim, but they showed it in October. No external ICE mounts or range extender.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
At 300 miles range (even 250 miles) theres no need for the rex, but in our 24 and 30kwh cars, we would ike one, even an after market thing..... to help us out over the winter months and the odd journey beyond its capabilities without stiing for hours on a rapid.
I was hoping an aftermarket addon might have been developed, but sadly, nothing. Shame.
Or, a redesigned battery pack based on the same battery cells as the Tesla reconfigured match the leaf and to fit under the car, to give maybe 50 - 60 kwh.

There isn't going to be a next LEAF. At least not anytime soon,.

Nissan's next EV, will likely have 300+ miles of range. Details are slim, but they showed it in October. No external ICE mounts or range extender.

View attachment 125342

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
but in our 24 and 30kwh cars, we would ike one, even an after market thing..... to help us out over the winter months
There is an after market thing for 24 & 30 kWh Leafs... it's a 40 or 62 kWh Leaf. :sneaky:

21 - 40 of 82 Posts