Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are travelling to the Belgian Grand Prix, staying in Germany. Our vehicle is a 2015 i3 Rex with rapid charge (CCS), and we are travelling out just using electric (75 mile max range) but will travel back using both electric and petrol Rex. I have owned the car less than a month so follow my newbie adventure at:
BMW i3 Road Trip

I am an EV engineer so will be keeping records of trip and charge energy available on a linked googlesheet.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If you don't drive like a maniac then, at this time of the year, you will get 90 miles range out of a 60Ah i3. Minimum journey time is often a delicate balance between time at speed and time stopped at a charger.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,630 Posts
If you don't drive like a maniac then, at this time of the year, you will get 90 miles range out of a 60Ah i3. Minimum journey time is often a delicate balance between time at speed and time stopped at a charger.
Now I know where I'm going wrong, damn you MK:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. It's because it's a challenge. And not that difficult to be honest. Although we've been on track for almost 100 miles from a full charge we've stopped short to ensure the Rex doesn't come on.

Currently in the hills where a BEV is such a great option. We drive up one side of a 1000 foot hill then it feels like we get most of it back on the way down the other side.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, regen downhill can result in some impressive graphs.

This from a recent road trip in France in the Vosges. Starting at 700m climbing to 1100m and then back down to 200m in the Alsace near Colmar. We were heavily loaded with camping gear so needed more than planned for the climb and regened more than anticipated on the way down again. For the second half of the decent regen levels were limited by the high state of charge of the battery !

Still managed to end up with an impressive predicted range. :)

IMG_5426.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts