Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm new to the EV world and just picked up my i3 this week. I'm looking to make some practical modifications to it, allowing me to do outdoors things I enjoy locally. I understand the roof rack issue on this car due to the bare roof. But all the threads I've read on different forums really show no suggestions for products to use. Closest thing I saw was a guy suggesting to use SeaSucker mounts and making your own roof rack. I wanted to see if anyone on here has done anything different, and if you have suggestions for parts you have used in putting one together. It will be used for interchanging a surfboard or Thule cargo box, or a bicycle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it difficult to get the forks attached to the top mount? I could see it being quite a dangerous exercise, especially with a heavy EMTB. Or do you attach the mounts to the bike first and then secure it to the car?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a sunroof, so aluminium rear roof panel. Is this good or bad for mounting a bike rack?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a sunroof, so aluminium rear roof panel. Is this good or bad for mounting a bike rack?
Good! The sunroof adds a support frame around its perimeter, which stiffens the roof.

I customized my Seasucker order to include a double-cup front with the smaller 3.5" cups to fit the roof panel ahead of the sunroof, a double cup rear, with the other 6 cups all standard size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't know if you're still looking for something, but I got the Seasucker system and I'm really happy with it. I wanted a general purpose roof rack for kayaks, lumber, sports equipment, etc, not just for bicycles. If you're thinking of carrying a surfboard and a Thule box you'll want the same. For a general purpose rack, I think Seasucker is the only one around.

I paid £350. It's absolutely worth that money - really well made, easy to use, totally strong and secure. Goes up in about 2 minutes, and folds away into the boot much faster than that. Hard to imagine a custom-made solution that would work as well for significantly less money.

(I think my Seasucker product is called the "Monkey Bars," it's got two bars that go across the car. I strap stuff to the bars directly with rope, so I haven't had to buy anything else so far).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts