Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 120Ah i3 is due its first service and I took out Service Inclusive. My dealer is now saying that this does not include the change of brake fluid. Service Inclusive on my previous i3 did include all fluids. Has anyone any idea when this changed?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is still included under Service Scope

-----------
Service Inclusive is not currently available to purchase on the ConnectedDrive store in the UK.

With BMW Service Inclusive, you are eligible for the following services during the agreed term and mileage combination**:
  • Service engine oil incl. refills (oil, wiper fluid)
  • Service vehicle check according to BMW specifications
  • Service micro filters
  • Service fuel filters (only for diesel engines)
  • Service air filters
  • Service spark plugs (only for petrol engines)
  • Service brake fluid
You are also eligible for the included services regardless of how often your vehicle needs servicing during the respective term and mileage. You are always eligible for services if the smart maintenance system, Condition Based Service (CBS), displays the need for servicing on your BMW display. When you reach the specified mileage or term*, you are no longer eligible for services included in Service Inclusive.
You can find more information on the T&Cs for BMW Service Inclusive in the ConnectedDrive Store as well as legal notices regarding data protection HERE
* Whichever is reached first; the term (in months) and mileage (packs may show in kms as global product, mileage will be converted to miles). BMW Service Inclusive begins on your BMW's registration date and new car Service Inclusive must have been purchased by the first service appointment so that the respective services are covered.
** This example applies only to vehicles with petrol and diesel engines. There may be differences based on the model.
---------
This is probably meaningless in view of **

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is still included under Service Scope

-----------
Service Inclusive is not currently available to purchase on the ConnectedDrive store in the UK.

With BMW Service Inclusive, you are eligible for the following services during the agreed term and mileage combination**:
  • Service engine oil incl. refills (oil, wiper fluid)
  • Service vehicle check according to BMW specifications
  • Service micro filters
  • Service fuel filters (only for diesel engines)
  • Service air filters
  • Service spark plugs (only for petrol engines)
  • Service brake fluid
You are also eligible for the included services regardless of how often your vehicle needs servicing during the respective term and mileage. You are always eligible for services if the smart maintenance system, Condition Based Service (CBS), displays the need for servicing on your BMW display. When you reach the specified mileage or term*, you are no longer eligible for services included in Service Inclusive.
You can find more information on the T&Cs for BMW Service Inclusive in the ConnectedDrive Store as well as legal notices regarding data protection HERE
* Whichever is reached first; the term (in months) and mileage (packs may show in kms as global product, mileage will be converted to miles). BMW Service Inclusive begins on your BMW's registration date and new car Service Inclusive must have been purchased by the first service appointment so that the respective services are covered.
** This example applies only to vehicles with petrol and diesel engines. There may be differences based on the model.
---------
This is probably meaningless in view of **
Thank you: your post is very helpful.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just sounds like your dealer is trying their best to get out of doing it for free.
Why provide and pay for something called “Service Inclusive” if one of the few things the i3 requires isn’t included.
Above post is useful. I never trust the dealers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I do find it strange changing brake fluid every 2 years. At the garage we used to test the fuid every year at two years it would normally test as new, it would take about 5 years before even being close to requiring changing. We did however always spray bleed nipples with lube at every service to stop them seizing up. I have bled brake fluid out of nipples to see if it tests different and it hasnt. What really makes me smile is my Tuk Tuk from India has dot 5 fluid in its brakes so allegedly isnt hydoscopic ,

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a rather strange response from my local dealer. They will cover the brake fluid change, if it is needed, but they believe that it is now Condition Based for the i3. He did say that dealers are getting a lot of flak from customers about BMW's Service Inclusive Plans and they have stopped recommending them to new customers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I got a rather strange response from my local dealer. They will cover the brake fluid change, if it is needed, but they believe that it is now Condition Based for the i3. He did say that dealers are getting a lot of flak from customers about BMW's Service Inclusive Plans and they have stopped recommending them to new customers.
The details do say service rather than change brake fluid. The i3 service could well turn out to be just a check with nothing replaced...

·
Registered
502 Posts
The details do say service rather than change brake fluid. The i3 service could well turn out to be just a check with nothing replaced...
The brake fluid change is part of the itemised list on the app (under "Required Services") and required every 2 years (according to the app or at least my app for the i3). If it is now Condition Based Servicing, the car will decide and therefore this should also show on the app.
Brake fluid changes have become a routine service item although still optional for the owner in most cases, and recommended every 2 years for many cars for many different manufacturers. Tesla who do not have a routine service schedule at all still recommend a tyre and brake check only and brake fluid change every 2 years. With an EV (any EV!) there is simply nothing much else to do.
It is questionable that the OP was told by his dealer that the brake fluid was not included under the SI pack, but when clarified that it is listed as an item to do, they have then said it is now Condition Based! Basically sounds like they do not want to do it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The brake fluid change is part of the itemised list on the app (under "Required Services") and required every 2 years (according to the app or at least my app for the i3). If it is now Condition Based Servicing, the car will decide and therefore this should also show on the app.
Brake fluid changes have become a routine service item although still optional for the owner in most cases, and recommended every 2 years for many cars for many different manufacturers. Tesla who do not have a routine service schedule at all still recommend a tyre and brake check only and brake fluid change every 2 years. With an EV (any EV!) there is simply nothing much else to do.
It is questionable that the OP was told by his dealer that the brake fluid was not included under the SI pack, but when clarified that it is listed as an item to do, they have then said it is now Condition Based! Basically sounds like they do not want to do it.
My app shows Brake fluid - Service on June 2021. There is no indication as to whether it will be a check and change if required or a change whatever the condition. OK gotcha, clicking on the info icon reveals "Next change due at the latest by the stated date" The newer app My BMW has no information at all.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My app shows Brake fluid - Service on June 2021. There is no indication as to whether it will be a check and change if required or a change whatever the condition. OK gotcha, clicking on the info icon reveals "Next change due at the latest by the stated date" The newer app My BMW has no information at all.
It is time based; that is, every two years. I am beginning to think that my i3 may be the first 2 year servicing that my dealer has done on an i3. I say that because 2 years ago, all i3 sales and servicing were carried out by their main dealership in Warwick as opposed to my local dealership in Shrewsbury. I confess after 15 years of BMW ownership the sparkle is coming off the BMW brand.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is time based; that is, every two years. I am beginning to think that my i3 may be the first 2 year servicing that my dealer has done on an i3. I say that because 2 years ago, all i3 sales and servicing were carried out by their main dealership in Warwick as opposed to my local dealership in Shrewsbury. I confess after 15 years of BMW ownership the sparkle is coming off the BMW brand.
I have never been fussed by them as a brand. though I loved my 2002 Til which was a great car. The I3 Rex fitted the bill and was built as an EV with the right materials, servicing I will do myself I have seen the boys employed to do these jobs and know I can do better

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have never been drawn to owning a BMW until the i3 and I am now on my second. The first was an i3 94Ah REx and I now now have the 120Ah i3s. Each have been fully loaded and about 12mths old. The new prices are crazy once you add on the essential extras and the recent price increase makes them prohibitive.
As a brand, I think they have gone a long way downhill from the time their cars were over engineered and bulletproof to today's offerings. My dad had a couple of very solid 3 series and my brother an excellent 2002 Touring, but I've never been tempted by their ICE cars...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts