Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven this thing for 26 months, I have picked up 6 points and attended a driver course since August this year! so I thought, must be more pro active and set the speed limiter, so where is it? only thing i can get to work is the crusie control and follow thing, but I want to limit the max speed the car will go to 30\40\50 or 60 and not allow my heavy right foot to go past those speeds, unless I decide and be able to change it on the move. The complete waste of my hard earned money that is a camera that puts a minute picture of speed limit and does not bong or make any other noise is like most things on this car a complete waste of time.

I have bought a speed trap camera, but I cant believe a £40K+ car will not have a normal speed limiter, what am I missing?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can configure a limiter for eco pro and eco pro+ driving modes. However, flooring the throttle or turning on cruise control will override it.

Not aware of any similar limit function in comfort or sport driving modes.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You can set a maximum speed warning but it is not something that can be changed whilst on the move. I had a new 3 series loaner a couple of months ago and the system alerted me when a speed limit was exceeded. Sadly, as the car also detected incorrect speed signs (eg: when going past a junction on a corner) this became rather annoying so I turned it off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BasilFawlty, I have so far been able to escape any speeding fines but it does require me to keep my eyes glued to the (optional and inaccurate) speed limit display. As the car is so quiet, has no gears and there is no engine noise it is really difficult to judge your speed. I believe even Ford’s with adaptive cruise control will not allow you to exceed the speed limit unless you consciously press the accelerator so the BMW’s ACC is very poor. Only bright spot is that the EU have mandated that from 2022 all new vehicles mus5 have speed limiters.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Having driven this thing for 26 months, I have picked up 6 points and attended a driver course since August this year! so I thought, must be more pro active and set the speed limiter, so where is it? only thing i can get to work is the crusie control and follow thing, but I want to limit the max speed the car will go to 30\40\50 or 60 and not allow my heavy right foot to go past those speeds, unless I decide and be able to change it on the move. The complete waste of my hard earned money that is a camera that puts a minute picture of speed limit and does not bong or make any other noise is like most things on this car a complete waste of time.

I have bought a speed trap camera, but I cant believe a £40K+ car will not have a normal speed limiter, what am I missing?
If you have the automatic cruise control, which is what I think you mean by 'cruise control and follow thing' then the bad news is you don't get a speed limiter. Just set the cruise control at every opportunity even if you're in a 20mph zone. When the speed limit changes just flick the speed control switch up or down and your lead foot hardly needs to touch the accelerator or brake.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
(optional and inaccurate) speed limit display.
Optional - yes. Inaccurate - yes, in the sense that it reports what it sees (or doesn't see). If signs have been turned around or there is a junction on a corner with a lower/higher limit then the speed display will be inaccurate. I am not sure what can be done about this. GPS/mapping speed limits sound attractive but I doubt that the map makers could ever get real-time information on, say, roadworks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It would be an extravagance to buy a separate SatNav, however, a Garmin (say) will give you very accurate speed limit information and a warning “ping” if you exceed the limit. I find it invaluable on the continent with our motorhome.
I tend to use cruise control quite a lot in restricted areas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
so any sat nav system like Garmin, tom-tom or, I used to use Navmii (a phone app) can fairly reliably tell you what the speed limit is on a given road. The BMW navigation system can't??? Weird!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
so any sat nav system like Garmin, tom-tom or, I used to use Navmii (a phone app) can fairly reliably tell you what the speed limit is on a given road. The BMW navigation system can't??? Weird!
How do you get that from this thread?

The discussion is about the absence of a limiter that will prevent speeding or alert you if you exceed the speed limit. The BMW sat nav's that I've used are the one on my i3 with Active Cruise Control but no speed limiter, and on my wife's 225xe which has ordinary cruise control and a speed limiter. Both display the current speed limit but the one with the active cruise control has no limiter so the best way to stick to the speed limit is just to drive with cruise control on as much as possible: something that isn't always appropriate or convenient. The 225xe limiter though will stop you breaking the speed limit unless you put your foot down hard or go down a steep hill and in that case sounds a chime to tell you that you are going too fast. Both vehicles use a combination of GPS and a camera mounted in the windscreen to detect road signs. Both will go wrong sometimes when they pick up speed limit signs that they shouldn't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well I do apologise - I was talking about a satnav (e.g. BMW navigation system) that tells me what the speed limit is on the road I am on. Looks like the nav system on myi3 doesn't do that but I'll ask people via another thread, maybe someone can answer me there.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
well I do apologise - I was talking about a satnav (e.g. BMW navigation system) that tells me what the speed limit is on the road I am on. Looks like the nav system on myi3 doesn't do that but I'll ask people via another thread, maybe someone can answer me there.
To get road speed limits, your i3 needs the Driving Assistant Plus optional package.

The Driving Assistant Plus equipment produces a clear improvement in safety and comfort. It includes the Approach control warning and Person warning with light city braking function, Speed Limit Info, Camera-based cruise control with Stop&Go function as well as the Traffic jam assistant.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That’s correct, but then we know that the SatNavs in most cars are nowhere near as good as the latest Garmin, TomToms etc. The traffic information in the i3 is not as good as Google maps and probably (although I haven’t checked) not as good as my Garmin. The mapping software certainly has up to date speed limit information so it’s up to the hardware providers to decide whether to include it or not. I have been in cars where the speed limit is displayed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts