Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

I3 Tyre Troubles

Tags
bmwi3 tyre
8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Boxbrownie 
#1 ·
Hi Chaps,
New I3 Owner having tyre issues, hoping someone with more knowledge than me about the I3/car tyres in general might be able to help.

I got a puncture in my rear offside tyre, took it to closest tyre place (500 metres away) as it was leaking fast after being reinflated. They told me that the puncture couldn't be fixed because of the location of it and that they'd have to get a new tyre in - fair enough. Unfortunately the only tyre they could get for it was a Nankang tyre, not the ecopia tyres I currently have

They installed it and since I've had several problems -
1) Tracking seems to be all off now, car wants to steer to the right when steering wheel is centred.
2) I'm losing traction from that wheel with a little bit of acceleration and the car feels generally less stable.
3) The Regen braking seems to be about half as effective as before the replacement.

So I guess my questions are:
1) Is my assumption that the steering is off/less traction is due to using two different types of tyres on the rear (both same sizes, different makes/tread depths) correct? (New tyre is a Nankang Ice 1, didn't realise it was a winter tyre until after fitment).
2) In the process of changing the tyre, is there someway the mechanics could have scuppered the regen braking on that side?

Edit - 1 further question, I've noticed that the rears are both 175/60R19 whereas the front are 155/70R19, now I know the width difference is due to it being the REX version, but should the rear tyres actually be 175/70R?

If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Robin

See less See more
#4 ·
If I recall the REx came with 2 rear tyre size options: 19 and 20 inch. I am no tyre expert but I think that you have been badly served by your chosen tyre fitting centre. Surely, the simplest way of checking tyre size is to look carefully at the markings on the tyre on the other side of the car. That said, fitting one new tyre from a different manufacturer or one with a different wear level can often lead to significant traction control issues. The Ecopia OEM tyres were specifically chosen/designed for the i3. You may have to put this one down to experience and look to get an OEM tyre from BMW or another supplier.

#6 ·
I think you're right Lexden. It pains me to spend another 130 pounds after wasting 130 already but as you say, I'll have to put this mistake down to experience/growing pains.
I'll try just the one new ecopia tyre for now freddym (match the other rear tyre) because the other still has a fair amount of tread on it and I can't bear spending yet more money unless its absolutely required. Hopefully it'll feel fine once just the one is replaced.

I'm not too sure what caused the original puncture, just found it completely flat when I came back to it the morning after using it. (I don't remember kerbing it if that's what you're hinting at, also it's the rear tyre not front)

#14 ·
I think you're right Lexden. It pains me to spend another 130 pounds after wasting 130 already but as you say, I'll have to put this mistake down to experience/growing pains.
I'll try just the one new ecopia tyre for now freddym (match the other rear tyre) because the other still has a fair amount of tread on it and I can't bear spending yet more money unless its absolutely required. Hopefully it'll feel fine once just the one is replaced.
Understand your motivation here but, if you're expecting to keep the car for some time, I think you should consider getting a new pair of the correct tyres now and have them put on the car. Sell your new used Nankang on fleabay for whatever you can get to offset some of the losses and put your part used Ecopia in the garage or under your bed ready to be used when the same thing happens again next year...

#7 ·
175/60R19 is correct for REX rear tyres and also BEV with 428 & 429 style wheels.

Sounds like problems you are experiencing are due to different compounds of tyres on the same axle, Summer and Winter. Which in my opinion is dangerous.

"It is inadvisable to mix tyres of different categories on a vehicle, e.g. summer tyres, winter tyres, “run flat” tyres, on/off road tyres, etc and never across an axle." - British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association.

#8 ·
Unfortunately the only tyre they could get for it was a Nankang tyre, not the ecopia tyres I currently have
Hmm, the problem associated with not having a spare to use. Assuming you had to have it fixed there and then?

There's no back order problem on Bridgestones as far as I know as I ordered and had two fitted last week. £138 fitted and balanced by my local mobile.

#9 ·
They stated they were the only tyres they could order, and unfortunately the puncture was severe enough that I didn't want to drive it again due to safety/rim damage. In hindsight I should have done further research about tyres and got a mobile mechanic to come and replace it who could order in the right tyre.

#13 · (Edited)
Edit - 1 further question, I've noticed that the rears are both 175/60R19 whereas the front are 155/70R19, now I know the width difference is due to it being the REX version, but should the rear tyres actually be 175/70R?
Tyre sizing works thus

155/70/19 = 155mm tread width / sidewall height is expressed as 70% of the tread width / 19 inch wheel

So in the case above, the sidewall height of the tyre is 108.5mm (155x70/100)

In 'normal' road going cars, to keep both ends of the car at the same height and the rolling circumference of the wheels the same size, the sidewall height has to remain constant for the same size wheel.

If you therefore design a wider tyre for the rear at 175cms tread width and it has a 108.5mm sidewall height, it's ratio will be 108.5/175x100 = 62% so as near as damn it, it's a 175/60/19 tyre that is made and fitted.

#15 ·
It took them several days to get the tyre in, had to leave the car with them and work from home. So they must have ordered the tyre,
The rarity of i3 tyres (that garages don't keep stock of) is the reason I bought a spare wheel & tyre off ebay.
It sits in the garage, but means the car won't be off the road for days when I get a puncture.

#18 ·
Hi all,

Just want to say a big thankyou to all who responded. To give you an update - I bought a single new tyre (ecopia) to replace the winter tyre and thankfully the car is back to it's normal self. I'm having no further issues with it.
As a back up however I have now bought a set of new alloys (with tyres), partly because I much prefer the new rims, and partly so I can have a winter and summer set of tyres.

#19 ·
Just read this thread and I am utterly shocked that a tyre shop would put a winter tyre on the same axle as a summer.

If they couldn't get the ecopia they should have said there and then 'sorry, can't help you'.

Take the tyre back and ask for your money. Tell them 'I now understand you had no business at all mixing a winter tyre on my axle, you took me for a ride not really knowing this, but now I do know and I want my money back.'

You have experienced what happens, and contrary to previous posters who have tried to argue with me that mixing winter tyres makes no difference, you now have physically proved the problem. For tyres to actually cause noticeable yaw in a car, if you had exaggerated that in a heavy braking event you would probably have lost control of the car, crashed, and been prosecuted for driving on inappropriate tyres and then the insurance company would probably not have paid out too. Just consider this risk this tyre company has handed out to you, you could have lost your car with no insurance cover to help you, and end up with a criminal prosecution to deal with.

You say you don't know much about tyres, but I am afraid to say that you need to spend a few hours reading about them if that is the case. It is the driver who is responsible for the suitability of the tyres they are driving around on.

#20 ·
As an aside I wouldn’t fit Nankangs on any vehicle regardless of posters who say “I had them and they are great”.

As for mixing them with decent tyres like Bridgestones on the same axle, unbelievable let alone the fact it was a Winter tyre......your tyre dealer needs going out of business!

DITCHFINDERS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.