Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an i3 rex, new list price £44,000 but cost me £22,000. Last year I paid the premium vehicle tax for a car that cost more than £40,000 new. I thought that had since been scrapped for electric cars but have received a demand for £465 for this year. Does anyone know if that is correct?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you will find that it was only scrapped for BEVs but hybrids were excluded. Unfortunatly the REX is counted as a hybrid.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
127 Posts
Wow, just wow when you realise it would be cheaper taking a punt on a 5 year old Corsa.

Politics aside, the UK Goverment couldn't organise a proverbial knees up in a brewery. They'll always been behind the curve. They were like this with solar too. Where have I been? Next 4 years?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,818 Posts
Wow, just wow when you realise it would be cheaper taking a punt on a 5 year old Corsa.

Politics aside, the UK Goverment couldn't organise a proverbial knees up in a brewery. They'll always been behind the curve. They were like this with solar too. Where have I been? Next 4 years?
Its not the gov, its the Civil Service. If they had been charged with organising the vaccine research, development , production and vaccinations, we would be 6months behind where we are. If the CS was kept outside the loop, things would happen much more quickly.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,470 Posts
Its not the gov, its the Civil Service. If they had been charged with organising the vaccine research, development , production and vaccinations, we would be 6months behind where we are. If the CS was kept outside the loop, things would happen much more quickly.
I’m not sure what’s driving that idea, but the civil service exists only to put into action the policies of the Government. Exactly how would Ministers implement things otherwise?

I’ve got personal experience of advising Government Minsters (aviation related), and they rely on the civil service to provide the expertise to coalesce behind whatever policy it is they’re trying to bring in.

Actually, without a civil service, it would be rather chaotic, even more so than now.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
127 Posts
Actually, without a civil service, it would be rather chaotic, even more so than now.
True. Governments come and go, but it's the civil servants who put into action. That said before Brexit we pumped £50m into a ferry company with no ferries. Due diligence is the name of the game.

Back to the OP, it seems the sales person was light on detail if you are questing your tax bill now. That said, I don't know the full details.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LCT was scrapped for cars with a V5c emissions figure of 0g/km.

The i3 Rex has 13g/km on the V5c.

Not quite sure how the system working as it's meant to veered immediately off into claims of incompetence and bashing the civil service....

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,818 Posts
I’m not sure what’s driving that idea, but the civil service exists only to put into action the policies of the Government. Exactly how would Ministers implement things otherwise?

I’ve got personal experience of advising Government Minsters (aviation related), and they rely on the civil service to provide the expertise to coalesce behind whatever policy it is they’re trying to bring in.

Sorry, I should have added that I was aiming my barbs at the upper echelons, not the front line. There have been a few high level departures in the last year or so and this will have reminded many that the job is not for life, and nor is a peerage or knighthood. (or a job running an NGO for those who had to be moved but not sacked).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably an oversight by someone to treat it as a hybrid which produces many times the pollution. Otherwise very cheap to run and perfect for nipping around built up areas. Time will tell how reliable it is long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts