Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presumably blocked anyway. When activating they produce an initial squirt, then nothing more whilst the motor is wirring away.

I’m thinking if I can easily remove the front boot I can access the pipe and motor connection, pull the pipe off and blast the garden hose through it, although I’m not sure if there’s a one way valve there so the fluid might pour out.

Has anyone had the same experience or have any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
BMW use the most complicated washer jet system in the automotive industry. I've had same problem in a 1 series a few years ago, before having used a non - BMW branded windscreen washer fluid. It blocked up the jets and I had to take the car back to the dealer. They had to take it apart to reach the windscreen water reservoir, clean and unblock the pipes. It did cost me over £150 and a lecture from the dealer to ONLY use the BMW washer fluid. Total pants - I only ever use tap water now in my cars.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm confused... it occurred "before having used a non-BMW wash"? So it was the BMW wash that caused the problem, but BMW told you to use it anyway?

...or the non-BMW wash caused the problem, BMW told you to use official BMW screen-wash, and so you use tap water?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I had a similar problem on a BMW once, and BMW washed their hands of the issue despite me saying it had only ever been filled by me with the correct fluid as I couldn't prove it. It was a total PITA to strip the inside lining of the bonnet to get at everything to clean it out, and in the end there was a gel like substance similar to that you get in fuel lines with stale petrol blocking the tubes. After that I used cheap supermarket fluid at high concentrations without issue.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'm told steradent is a likely fix for gummed up washer jets in BMWs ...
If you try this make sure that you wash it off any paintwork thoroughly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry - I didn't make it clear before... I used an alternative screen wash - non BMW, and this made the system clog up. BMW told me to only use their 'special' screen wash, but after that rather expensive bottle ran out, I can't be bothered to pay out for their stuff, so I just use tap water now, which seems to work just as well for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I managed to resolve the issue today. After process of elimination, blasting the pipes through with the garden hose, then the motor, and finally having to remove the washer bottle entirely I discovered the little filter was clogged with a slimy blue gel like substance. Having removed that and put everything back together the jets work better than ever!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Moral of the story, assuming you are not using reindeer pee, DONT mix different brands of washer fluid. Get a good one and stick to it. Comma comes to mind!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the filter was doing it's job.

I'm trying to get my head around what I'm seeing in that first photo. Obviously that's the slime, but where are we?
The first photo is simply the ‘slime’ in my kitchen sink! A close up. It looked almost like there was an inner lining to the filter mesh which has mixed with the slime, hence the nobbly bits, either that or the harder bit of the slime had moulded itself into the mesh..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moral of the story, assuming you are not using reindeer pee, DONT mix different brands of washer fluid. Get a good one and stick to it. Comma comes to mind!
To be fair now I know how to do it I'll probably continue with my £3 Halfords stuff and clear it out once a year! ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The first photo is simply the ‘slime’ in my kitchen sink! A close up. It looked almost like there was an inner lining to the filter mesh which has mixed with the slime, hence the nobbly bits, either that or the harder bit of the slime had moulded itself into the mesh..
So that's why it looks like a caterpillar... as lon g as it doesn't move, I guess all is OK ;)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The £3 Halfords stuff is probably unstable. Avoid.
As previously stated, the Comma stuff is cost effective and problem free.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The £3 Halfords stuff is probably unstable. Avoid.
As previously stated, the Comma stuff is cost effective and problem free.
Sorry. I thought you were suggesting I’d missed some punctuation..

£25 on Amazon for some super concentrated 5L, 1L makes 20L - I like the sound of that!

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
296 Posts
The first photo is simply the ‘slime’ in my kitchen sink!
Aaaah! That explains why I couldn't think what bit of a car I was looking at. 😁
The photo still confuses my brain. The light seems to be coming from 12 different directions and it looks like the sink is made of paper with a tear in it.

It's scary - it looks like it may be alive...
Those "legs" are just the grid of the filter leaving it's pattern on the slime. Took me a while to work that out too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts