Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've currently got my eye on a i3s and was wondering if it's possible to start the cabin preheat when the car is not plugged in? There's no charging where I work and I'd rather not have to scrape the car when finishing late shift!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it is easy, just text the car from the app. Just 5 mins makes a difference. If icy before you leave for home then 15 mins will have the cabin nice and warm and a clear screen. Will use 3-5% from the battery.
if you can see the car and it is in blipped range then the diamond button on the remote can be set to perform the climate function as an alternative to the connected app.

·
EGGY
1,692 Posts
You can also code it into your key, the app can be a bit unreliable

·
EGGY
1,692 Posts
For some reason our's (off peak charging) has gone haywire recently, thought it was the Zappi but the Tesla works fine. Pot luck on the i3 at the moment.
But anyway, bit off topic

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi all. I've currently got my eye on a i3s and was wondering if it's possible to start the cabin preheat when the car is not plugged in? There's no charging where I work and I'd rather not have to scrape the car when finishing late shift!
One thing I would add to this:
Yes. It can easily be pre-heated while unplugged at work but only if you are going to be charging it at home regularly. The app in my experience will only work to start preconditioning 2 or 3 times. After that, it will constantly fail and doesn't seem to work again until after the car has been charged, even if you still have plenty of range remaining.

And maybe keep a scraper in the car just in case, since the app isn't 100% reliable even when you are within the above number of attempts to precondition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys. Thanks for the input.It'sll a toss up between the hyundai kona and the i3s rex. The Kona is probably edging it at the moment due to the longer range and warranty. But the i3s is more of a drivers car. It's a head versus heart decision I think. 🤔

·
Registered
880 Posts
I didn’t realise you could do this unplugged. Do you have to set a departure time? There doesn’t appear to be a “Pre-condition immediately” option. Unfortunately, by some strange BMW logic, to charge off-peak you need to set a departure time so I have a weekly time and unplug beforehand. Setting an additional pre-condition departure makes it even more complicated.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
708 Posts
It's called "climatise now" in the app. No need for being plugged in, no need for setting departure timers. This is not a full pre-condition, it's just operating the cabin heaters, afaik.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's called "climatise now" in the app. No need for being plugged in, no need for setting departure timers. This is not a full pre-condition, it's just operating the cabin heaters, afaik.
Do I understand correctly that full pre-condition (via the timer in the app) is only available when plugged in? And when not plugged in, it will only pre-heat the cabin?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
It think it will cool too. The i3 will only warm the batteries if it is plugged into an EVSE capable of delivering at least 16A. (or at least that is how mine works)

Not sure about battery cooling. Normally that would only happen on a rapid charger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts