Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering buying an i8 roadster but a little concerned that a £115k car that was pre-registered in dec 19 is now being sold off around £88k from bmw dealers. I know pre reg cars do come with a discount for being the 2nd owner, but this seems quite a steep drop and am concerned about future resale values plummeting!

any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is a car forum, not a world affairs chatroom. zyka sars ebola etc have all come and gone like this will too, meanwhile people have continued to buy cars globally as im about to now. If you cant say anything constructive or helpful on the matter in hand, im not interested in your thoughts elsewhere. seems fair.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There are some on Autotrader, I'd have a rumage of 4 / 5 year old ones and see what the drop has been like. At a quick glance 5 year old ones seem to be about 40k thats a substantial drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
considering buying an i8 roadster but a little concerned that a £115k car that was pre-registered in dec 19 is now being sold off around £88k from bmw dealers. I know pre reg cars do come with a discount for being the 2nd owner, but this seems quite a steep drop and am concerned about future resale values plummeting!

any thoughts on this?
Well BMW have announced the end of i8 production in April 2020, so that could be one reason. Also they were made in relatively small numbers, so part that and being BMW, parts are going to be pricy. Smart looking car but there’s more efficient full electric and hybrids around now. It’s got a drag-co of .26 and from its 9.4kWh pack, it manages a mere 15mi on battery on average, (30mi on an exceptional day. And then it’s got a 1.5L under the bonnet. (The first ones produced, a 7.1kWh pack with a 1L under the bonnet.)

It could be a future classic but for now, it’s looking old in a future world. Even new ones are pricing at £114,000 from dealers. After April and the downturn in sales due to Cv, they’ll be paying customers to remove them from display. I’m not you; but I’d be inclined to wait a few months, then make a bargain basement offer. Or buy a Tesla Model Y LR tomorrow for £20k less or a Model S 100 D for £3k more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well BMW have announced the end of i8 production in April 2020, so that could be one reason. Also they were made in relatively small numbers, so part that and being BMW, parts are going to be pricy. Smart looking car but there’s more efficient full electric and hybrids around now. It’s got a drag-co of .26 and from its 9.4kWh pack, it manages a mere 15mi on battery on average, (30mi on an exceptional day. And then it’s got a 1.5L under the bonnet. (The first ones produced, a 7.1kWh pack with a 1L under the bonnet.)

It could be a future classic but for now, it’s looking old in a future world. Even new ones are pricing at £114,000 from dealers. After April and the downturn in sales due to Cv, they’ll be paying customers to remove them from display. I’m not you; but I’d be inclined to wait a few months, then make a bargain basement offer. Or buy a Tesla Model Y LR tomorrow for £20k less or a Model S 100 D for £3k more.
I agree with all of that. I dont drive much / far, about only 30 ish miles a week. Looking at the figures and the reviews from owners, it would seem I could do almost all of my driving ( on 30 mph roads ) on all electric. There are absolutely much more efficient electric and hybrid cars out there, but none that i actually like - and thats a big part of the i8 for me is that I really like the car. we already have a tesla in the family and whilst its electric performance and range are both great, I just dont like the interior at all. It feels very plasticky / budget on one hand and yet very electronic with the enormous touch screen on the other. And i just dont like it. In addition id never personally make full use of its performance or range. whereas the i8 i would try to maximise electric driving as much as possible and enjoy the style and bmw - familiarity inside.

Waiting a few months - on one hand, the few new cars left may sell out, but Iv been making noises at the various dealers who have one and letting them know im ready to buy and hoping they will make me an offer i simply cant refuse!. heres hoping!. I can get a pre reg del miles car from around the £87k region. If any dealer will drop to £80k, ill take it!. so just having to wait and see!. only thing is, what will it be worth in 3 years - rumour seems that its replacement is coming in 2-3 years just when ill be wanting to sell mine!. dilemma!.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.