Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowing an i8 this friday - and doing a 800mile round trip southcoast > london > manchester (over probably a poor w/e for travel).

I've got the app and skimmed the manual, but can any existing (or new i8 owners, eh @Simon Mac )
offer tips ...... especially any non-obvious, and BMW centric subtleties....

I'm keen to:
Sample electric only
maximise motorway ecconomy
minimise engine noise !
get sat nav and BT hooked up
sample grip levels (in empty carpark ! )
enjoy (I hope) the steering on twisties
charge at home (commando/13amp/type2)
charge at rest breaks: type 2 / Chadamo ?

I ask because I've never owned a BMW !!! .. (almost did, 20yrs ago - Chris Low, Pet Shop Boy's Z1 - full of Nakamichi stereo)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Mark, the silence is deafening ;)

I'm not surprised as I suspect you and I represent the total addressable market who care about the i8 being used as an EV. :p

There is more chatter about the i8 over on Pistonheads, so the general vehicle forums might be better than an EV enthusiast forum for info?

What I can tell you after 600 miles and less than one tank of fuel is:

The i8 has no rapid charge ability so CHAdeMO/CCS are out.

Type-2 AC is the only game in town, so you will need to check if the car has a Type-2 to Type-2 cable, as they aren't supplied (only a 13A plug granny cable). Type-2 A/C works fine, even if slowly @ 16A of the on board charger. I'd be more worried about militant BEV purists accosting you if they saw an i8 using a public point though ;)

In order to get maximum economy you have to switch on "Ecopro", it's slightly annoying as the car returns to "Comfort" every time you switch it on. (I've read there are some ways to get third party firmware tweaks to fix this). Ecopro not only messes with the A/C stuff, but also favours more EV input. If you are gentle enough on the throttle it's pretty close to being permanently in eDrive mode. (Which itself is a dedicated button).

Pairing my phone was straightforward. Navigation works OK, but destination entry is miles behind the Model S. I've not tried the ability to send a destination from the mobile app to the car yet.

The stalks are taking some getting used to as they don't move into latched up or down positions, rather are momentary actuated. You will also note the auto wipers and headlights are activated by push buttons on the end of the stalks. Both must be enabled on every journey :(

The physical key has an additional diamond button on it which is configurable in what it does: either switch on the lights or start cabin heating. I've opted for the lights, as by the time I'd be in range of the car the pre-heating seems a bit pointless.

Enjoy your trip, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Simon,
GREAT - you are a Star !!
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for !
I am a bit shocked at the 16A ;) .... so pure EV and 'rapid hopping' all the way to Manchester is out :D,
and so wont be too much winding up militant BEV purists .... maybe just a bit ;)

Very useful to hear about all the buttons and especially 'ecopro'... it will be my default, if not its default.

I'm actually quite excited about the loan ... 'fun of the new' and a bit of 'pampering'
Will report back, weather atm looks OK too.
thanks, sir !

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Mark Sanders.

You are welcome, happy to help.

I also remembered one other item, and that's the gear selector. It took me some getting used to because it has a small button on the lever you have to press before selecting a gear. I found it a bit annoying at first, it's taken me a while to unlearn the Tesla column shifter, and I'll admit to sometimes still accidentally switching on the wipers when I intended to reverse the car :D

Re public charging: The other day I wished I did actually have a type-2 cable or commando to 13A on me, and I would have had no issue if an angry Leafist had said anything ;)

It actually made "destination charging" sensible at a local car park. I'd been running around and just made it to the car park on EV mode. (It's this sort of sporadic short trip stuff rather than out and out cross continent trips where I'm missing the big battery).

If I had some way of topping off my car for 8 miles or so of EV to get home, then during the couple of hours the car was parked it would have been super handy*. Plus I'd have had zero problems justifying my use of it. In the Tesla I wouldn't have used these points because the only plus point would have been getting cheap electricity rather than trying to get more EV driven miles. It's an interesting moral debate for sure.

The concept of "grazing" when it comes to charging has clicked a bit for me with the i8, when it simply wasn't relevant with the Model S. Induction charging would actually make a lot more sense for some of these hybrids IMHO.

(* the EV bays are wider making the doors less of a problem ;) )

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of tips...
- if you want to preserve your electric range, use the hold state of charge function
- when you are in sports mode, you can charge the battery to ~80% whilst driving

Have fun!
thanks again everyone -

now reading the manual and app - tough going, as few pix and dont have car yet.
I'm sure all will be more obvious from drivers seat and next to a type 2 'hose' / adapter

excited, but expect traffic hold-ups on trip.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was hoping you could drop off the merchandise. Not interested in the gas guzzler ;)
Ha Ha .. I got 40mpg over 600 mostly gentle/ motorway miles - felt very privileged - report to follow. If you can organise a meetup with Mike (super cooling reaction jet) I'll bring the gear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a terrific weekend with the i8 - got to know it properly over 600+ miles, all weathers, all road types, and back to back with Golf R, and Tesla R2.5
IMG_20171216_091357527.jpg

What I loved:
Seats - laid back, great for my back - as tall
Shape - some fascinating curves.
'Deep Space' cruise ability - eats distance
Feeling special
HUD - now planning to add aftermarket version for self - more than just nice - essential !
Grip - - most of the time - got back end to twitch surprisingly easily out of wet roundabouts (in a good way)
Composure at speed (alas at illegal speeds - might do good times on a fast circuit / trackday).

What was OK
Acceleration - after v slight hesitation, but not as much as expected from the lights.
Doors - depending on POV:
- wonderful theatre
- also pantomime - (yep, I had the 'reverse of shame' at a polling booth - couldn't reach and couldn't open door !! ),
- also 'richard head' derision in some places.
Ride - whilst the suspension was silky quiet, it was pretty hard - no lotus / jaguar for bumpy b-roads / potholes
Steering - precise, but like most modern (german) cars- little feel
Size - its big - feels v safe in CF tub. but R8 wide - not much room to position on B-roads.

Jobs for re-design
Make it 100% Electric ! (apparently due 2020 .. where have we heard that before)
Fast charging - it only charges at 16A !! (I got 1 KWh for £3-20 .. ecotricity only go to charge per KWh in january - Durr)
Ditch the 'brum brum' noises ! clearly the original spec was done by disgruntled 'petrol-heads' forced to do a hybrid sports car. Synthesised noise only inside car, so ironically, impresses no-one !
Windscreen wipers - delay after wash, never got intermittents working properly
Not much otherwise
IMG_20171215_142447407_HDR.jpg

Share a garage with
Lotus, Bike, Ariel, mx5 ??

Best review: Car Long term: BMW i8 verdict: we live with one for half a year

I would be VERY tempted if it was 100% electric. I can see it works perfectly for people (eg @Simon Mac ) with short daily commutes with destination charging - leave fully charged from home up to 16 miles to work, charge all day. And good for occasional long distances and high speed 'blasts' ... maybe tempting a track day or 2 ??

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I think that's a very fair and balanced review Mark.

Having lived with the car a little longer I would say under the "Jobs for redesign" category the infotainment system is a chunk behind the Model S. It really could do with a lot of TLC.

I have to say I'm disappointed with your MPG figures though. Here's yesterday's usage :p
BMW.png

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Yep, had one of the first UK examples.

Decided to switch last month. I basically got bored of the Tesla, and fancied a change. The Model S hasn't really moved on enough and I couldn't face buyingwhat is ostensibly the same car twice on the bounce. Life's too short!

TBH the i8 was a somewhat unexpected turn of events. I was going to buy a used i3 Rex as a runaround until the iPace arrives (I figured selling mine with 6 months warranty left was the right time). An i8 with the "frozen grey" accents came up used, and I fell in love. (I was never a big fan of the blue accents, as I'm in the EV's don't need to look like EV's camp).

Facing a tricky dilemma now. I'm getting 100's of MPG, and still not going to the petrol station with the i8. I miss the torque of the Tesla, but I'm definitely more in the handling and build quality side of things, so on balance the i8 is edging it. Will I go for an IPace.... possibly not as one of the first anymore, some of the buying pressure has been taken off.

(And of course the i8 is much more of a head turner and I'll admit to some vanity ;) )

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, had one of the first UK examples.

Decided to switch last month. I basically got bored of the Tesla, and fancied a change. The Model S hasn't really moved on enough and I couldn't face buyingwhat is ostensibly the same car twice on the bounce. Life's too short!

TBH the i8 was a somewhat unexpected turn of events. I was going to buy a used i3 Rex as a runaround until the iPace arrives (I figured selling mine with 6 months warranty left was the right time). An i8 with the "frozen grey" accents came up used, and I fell in love. (I was never a big fan of the blue accents, as I'm in the EV's don't need to look like EV's camp).

Facing a tricky dilemma now. I'm getting 100's of MPG, and still not going to the petrol station with the i8. I miss the torque of the Tesla, but I'm definitely more in the handling and build quality side of things, so on balance the i8 is edging it. Will I go for an IPace.... possibly not as one of the first anymore, some of the buying pressure has been taken off.

(And of course the i8 is much more of a head turner and I'll admit to some vanity ;) )

Glad to hear that you are pleased with it. I have had mine for just under 2 years now. It certainly is a head turner and seems to receive far more admirers in comparison to haters which can't be said for many other cars with similar head turning qualities!

Was going to ask you if you were planning on joining any of the Pure Impulse events but I believe that you need to have purchased from new unfortunately...

I think you made the right choice - the i3 is a fine car but the i8 is a different beast altogether. Congratulations!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finally, ..nice to see some posts reg i8's : ) They've nearly doubled up the battery and they've given it the newer ID6 tile based nav system on the facelift due to start production March if it's of much use regarding the above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts