Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Uniquely underwhelming given the price and huge promise of its physical aspect. I wonder if BMW will bother to equip the i8 with the newer i3 cells and bigger motor or something with more balls than the 1.5 litre turbo? Handling only gets you so far when the competition have already out horsepowered you and vanished over the horizon:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well yes and no, to what I think the democratic audience is for this car (911, R8, F-Type etc) it's about character and actual driving rather than who is fastest between roundabouts.

My 2p obviously but going faster in a straight line can get boring compared to a rounded package

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Mos
Am I right in thinking all but the most basic ModelS would absolutely blow the i8 away?

Edit: oh dear god, I thought it would be bad but not this bad:

Most owners will not be in too many drag races.
The i8 looks fantastic compared to the Tesla, and the 0 - 60 is around 4 seconds in the i8
which is fast enough for me!
I love my Leaf!!!:)
Anyone with a Reliant Robin who wants to challenge me, is more than welcome!!

You can see the NEW Leaf looks a lot like the i8:-
Unknown.jpeg

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Mos

Most owners will not be in too many drag races.
The i8 looks fantastic compared to the Tesla, and the 0 - 60 is around 4 seconds in the i8
which is fast enough for me!
I love my Leaf!!!:)
Anyone with a Reliant Robin who wants to challenge me, is more than welcome!!
It's kind of odd, but there are quite a few i8s around Newcastle and most seem to be driven by women, one is pink. It's a weird car indeed.

I'd rather have a mint old 6 series I think, maybe a 1980 6 Highline with an EV conversion? :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I haven't driven a Model S, but I've been around a circuit in an i8 and the handling is very impressive. On the same day I drove a Nissan GTR and a baby Lambo so it was a tough comparison.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In defence of the i8, the i8 looks the part, albeit 'all bark and not bite' when compared to the Tesla.

i8 is a car you can step out of and go yeah, that's mine :) .Tesla.. ummm. not so much, it's such a shame it does not look better.

i8 also will never leave you stranded when you run out of electric, no range anxiety.

I personally like them both for different reasons, I have had to choose (and I've driven the Tesla), I'd most likely go i8, those gull wing doors are just too cool to pass on, the looks are worth the sacrifice, I have 26 speed bumps to get of of my town, thanks to an insane High Peak Borough Council, so you're lucky to get to 20 before you have to break, or risk damage, so either would feel fast to me

21 - 28 of 28 Posts