Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting project. Conversions remind me of the first EV I came across (many, many years ago). An old teacher of mine ripped apart an ancient Renault and whacked in an awful lot of lead acid batteries. I suspect the range was absolutely minimal - but he only lived in the next village so it probably wasn't an issue.

What battery tech and drive system are you planning on using? Is it all going to be self-developed or can you source a proven BMS etc off the shelf?

Does the VW van fan world have a preservationist wing who think that modernising it is a heinous crime?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
So cool look forward to the next video. I would love to convert a 1980 camero but I will never have the money or know how

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
For me it would be an electric Citroen DS, though the splitty camper would be a close second. Looking forward to seeing more of this project.

·
Banned
558 Posts
For me it would be an electric Citroen DS, though the splitty camper would be a close second. Looking forward to seeing more of this project.
DS Safari would be super if only we could bring back the XM as a BEV.
I wonder is some more 'veterans' could have a new life as a BEV e.g. MGB - TR4?

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
An electric DS would be something. Powering the pump for the suspension, steering and brakes might be a pain though.

I've just come across this chap on Youtube doing a VW bus too. But he has spent a year fixing up the bodywork so it looks like Kevin has a good start on that!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've always loved the VW Split Screen camper so will be following the project with interest. Especially how and where you squeeze the batteries in!

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
An electric DS would be something. Powering the pump for the suspension, steering and brakes might be a pain though.
I think it wouldn't be impossible - modern EV's and hybrids use electric power steering, so that would be a good fit, and it would have to use a modern EV regen braking system too. The suspension sounds more difficult, but apparently the current version of hydropneumatic suspension uses electric pumps for the hydraulic system, so there you go - easily doable, if only I had the time/skills/money ;-)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hope the acceleration is better as an EV..I was going in to work on the ebike last week,a VW camper made the turn at the junction at the end of the road in front of Me,and I was keeping up until they got over 20! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts