Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had my first instance of the ICE coming on for a couple of minutes to warm the car. It happened after I had been on the road for a mile already but the outside temperature dropped to 1ºC and the ICE came on. The windscreen was actually clear by then and the interior was warm enough (I had it set to 19ºC). I tried to turn the ICE off with the drive mode button but you can't.

It actually coincided with me joining the motorway, so it may not have been the most efficient time to do it. It turned off again shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Did you preheat the car before you started the journey on this occasion? It's going to be interesting this winter when we all learn how our cars behave for the first time!

Mike

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I preheated for about 30 seconds as I walked out to the garage. My key doesn't reach from the flat (why I want a smartphone app the most).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have set the heating to engine assist at very cold temperatures rather than cold temperatures to try and avoid ICE firing up when not required.
What was the setting when ICE turned on at one degree?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Certainly worth checking but if it is on very cold setting already it is not what I would class as very cold.
Will try mine on the cold setting to see if the ICE kicks in at a higher temperature above one degree.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe you two have hit the nail on the head. I have a 2012 Chevrolet Volt and my ICE turns on at about 26 degrees Fahrenheit period. The newer Chevrolet Volts 2013 have a default of 35 degrees Fahrenheit or 1.6 centigrade and an optional 19 degrees Fahrenheit or -7 centigrade. Somewhere in this changeover I assume the Vauxhall/Ampera have the newer default setting. On the plus side I do get to use my Italian driving gloves much more often with my Chevrolet Volt in winter driving.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
REB said:
On the plus side I do get to use my Italian driving gloves much more often with my Chevrolet Volt in winter driving.
How do the touch sensitive buttons cope with the gloves?

I was in Northumberland at the weekend and on Saturday morning it was -3C the preheat fired up the ICE to defrost everything, I was unfortunately at a hotel without charging facilities so I don't know if being plugged in would have made a difference. My lifetime mpg has also taken a big hit as I have just added 400 miles of petrol driving (couldn't have done that trip in one go in any other EV).

·
Registered
13 Posts
On Tuesday in North London it was -1c the car was covered in frost.
I did a preheat about 6:00am and then another at 6:15, i left at 6:23 while the pre-heat was still active.

All the front windows where clear of frost and the rear screen also. I had pre-set the interior temp at 28c and comfort mode with both defrost screen and rear screen on. With the fan set to Max.

I'm plugged into a 240V charge station and the ICE didn't come on at all, mine's set to turn on the ICE at cold temp not very cold.

As I set off I changed the temp to 22c and set it to fan only and turned the fan to off. About 20 minutes into the journey the screen stated to mist so i turned the fan on, that seemed to be enough to clear the mist. Outside temp was now showing as 3c

My journey to work is 19 miles about 35 minutes.

I've a UK Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Parax,

I mentioned Italian driving gloves because they are a fairly thin leather and my body warmth is apparently enough to activate the buttons. Others here in the US have had issues with gloves not activating the buttons on the Volt. This could be the difference in various persons body temperatures or the gloves they are wearing. I wouldn't drive my Volt in the same gloves I shovel snow in for example.

Amazon.com here in the US also sells a type of glove specifically designed to carry a weak current to the touch-screen buttons. Isotoner Men's Smartouch Fleece Lined Glove. I assume they would ship to UK or may also be on the UK Amazon.com web site.

I've not needed to buy them but others have and appear to be happy with the results.

Ross

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so I checked this morning and the ICE assist was set back to cold, not very cold. So that has also reset itself at some point. Another one for the bugs list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts