Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I will be doing a bit of karting this year after all, in the TKM clubman class at a couple of circuits in the midlands (very fast and noisy two stroke engines!). I had a test day on Monday and it looks like I've still got the speed, despite being out of it for almost 2 years.

If that isn't bad enough, in order to go karting I need to get my transit campervan MOT'd, which I'm doing this afternoon. I haven't driven it since november.... fingers crossed that the brakes aren't seized & it'll actually start first time.

Bizarrely, I'm finding myself feeling guilty about using fossil fuels for propulsion since taking ownership of the Leaf. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I know it's stupid to think like this when there are millions of vehicles running at any given moment, spewing out fumes. I'm just annoyed that there isn't a better way. I'd love an electric conversion kit for my transit!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,611 Posts
Don't feel guilty, I still have my VX220 (had for 13 years since new in March but don't do a lot of mileage in it), a 1977 VX490 (awaiting better weather for an MOT) and my motorbike (again 2001 and had it since new) but look on it that I am doing 'my bit' by doing my best in the Ampera.

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
If you start to feel guilty I am big trouble, 5.7 ltr V8 chevy powered Ski boat (I have had it converted to LPG)
As h8ten says we are doing our bit most of the time so the scales are still in our favour

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's worth watching EVTV because the conversion market is taking off in a big way... here's our latest project :)

View attachment 283
that'll be awesome when it's finished. What are the specs? Did you need to do much work on the body to get it up to scratch before the conversion?There's enough room under the transit floorpan (it's a LWB T350) for a humungous cell array.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
What are the specs?
The initial build will have a 57kWh battery pack although that may increase overtime. It has a 160HP (200HP peak) liquid cooled motor. Charging is via a dual 43kW AC or 150kW DC power source for 'rapid' charging.

Did you need to do much work on the body to get it up to scratch before the conversion?
The body is in good shape having spent many years in South Africa. It's due to have an MOT and be UK registered in the next couple weeks, then we rip out all of the ICE related crud. Suspension and braking will get a serious upgrade and we may lower the van for a more surf bus look. Plan is to eventually repaint in Tesla electric blue.

If all goes to plan we will use the van to join the 80 day around world race in 2016 :D

There's enough room under the transit floorpan (it's a LWB T350) for a humungous cell array.
That would make a great conversion... at last years WAVE we had an amazing Merc conversion with solar roof;

http://www.solarmobil.eu/?p=1577

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Kevin
If its not a rude question what sort of cost is the electric conversion? I have a ex police mini bus Spinter that we are converting to a camper van

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
If its not a rude question what sort of cost is the electric conversion?
I have no idea because it's an RND project to test a lot of Mainpine technology... it certainly won't be cheap :)

I have a ex police mini bus Spinter that we are converting to a camper van
Very cool... if you need parts then talk to New Electric the EU distributor for EVTV who are currently testing Leaf battery cells which are very, very cheap :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Kevin

But everyone knows "EV battery's cost a fortune and only last for a few years"

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Eunicholas

I was being sarcastic…………………..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I raced TKM karts for a couple of years and then went on to 160 C as I was a bit heavy and the TKM guys were all a bit young (or is that me being too old???)!!!

Loved it!

We got a motor home and trailer and a full awning, compressor, 2 engines the works. It cost a fortune but was great fun. We tested every 2 weeks and raced every 2 weeks. Mainly at Kimbolton and PFI near Grantham but also at Rye House, Buckmore Park.

Sally was my "mechanic" and was fully involved setting up the kart and engine etc.

It would have helped if I was any good!!!!

I had a couple of big crashed and so I gave up racing and did marshalling as I was already an experienced car marshall. I finished as observer at Kimbolton.

I have to say that when karts go electric it won't be as much fun or as skilled. building and setting up a performance 2-stroke racing engine is a real skill and was a big part of the fun of racing. I wonder if an EV version would offer the same challenge?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those weekends were tremendous fun. I especially liked the challenge of setting up and managing the tyres. Gave us this teeny weeny insight into the complexities that F1 teams have to manage. Those tiny little slicks were difficult enough!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I felt bad every time I drove my wife's company car after getting the LEAF, but since that's gone I can feel all smug and superior. ;)

To be honest though, EVs just can't meet all demands and wont for some time. The less we burn, the better, but (and I KNOW this is the wrong approach) surely a small burst of high-octane fun once in a while is doing less harm than the dad who drives two miles to school and back twice a day... and for much better reasons?!

I've tracked a few times, crash a few times, go-karted a few times (once inebriated, that wasn't smart) and generally lived off of petrol as much as many, more than most, but it's almost behind me know... Almost.

As I said elsewhere EVs have destroyed a lot of my "car culture" thinking, but as a "thing", as a past-time, I can't deny I wouldn't turn down a drive in a stupid fast car or toy once in a while.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you haven't driven a real 2-stroke racing kart then you cannot possibly know what fun kart racing is. The 4-stroke karts you can rent for 10 mins at the seaside are fun and I always enjoy them but they are SOOO slow in comparison.

Even a slow 2-stroke racing kart, as KTM or 160C (or Rotax 125 now I suppose) are, is a very fast and grippy beast.

This was my 160C... I bought it new with 2 racing engines. This is the day I first ran it on the track.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes it is!

Half full that would give about 10 laps or about 10 mins at racing pace... this kart up to about 100mph.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts