Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems if you have a company car and it has a dashcam then a fee is payable to the ICO.

And so thats all tesla S/X/3 company cars I guess.
Is that correct?
Anyone more in the know ?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,448 Posts
A dashcam is not CCTV unless its functioning 24/7, is my understanding. You are also not using it for crime prevention and not storing personal data so no fee is needed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A dashcam is not CCTV unless its functioning 24/7, is my understanding. You are also not using it for crime prevention and not storing personal data so no fee is needed.
You'd think so. but here's the wording...

You should select ‘Yes’ to this question if you operate a dashcam on or in your work vehicle.If the dashcam is also used for work purposes it will not be considered as ‘domestic’ so you are likely to need to register and pay a data protection fee to the ICO unless you are exempt.

And so reads like even if you use your own car for company purposes and it has a dashcam, then there's a fee.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,448 Posts
For the dashcam to be used for work purposes then surely it must have been installed and paid for by the company. If you fitted it to your own car, not at the request of the company, then I'd argue it was for domestic use. Clearly a bit of a grey area. You could claim it was turned off when using your car on business. Its highly unlikely the ICO will ever know and I doubt anyone would think to complain to them were you to need the footage to support a claim against a 3rd party. On the other hand, you could pay the fee for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It says 'If the dashcam is also used for work purposes' not 'if the dashcam is used in a vehicle used for work purposes'.

And this question is in the section 'For organisations' which I think is the perspective from which to read it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,823 Posts
I don't believe 'a company car' is 'a work vehicle'. It means stuff like goods carrying vehicles.

Take the law literally and it can mean even less than the sum total of the words!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
A company car used for purpose of carrying out your role is a work vehicle, even our reps in company cars are cover by that, the qualification I would say is whether the individual installed the dashcam, or it was done by the company or at the company's request.

All our company cars are considered no smoking zones as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts