Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about attempting to make the EV meetup in Port Solent tomorrow, and thinking about a couple of aspects of the Ampera that may affect this, I'd be interested in views..

First is the tyres, these are low rolling resistance I believe, and pumped up quite hard. Isn't this likely to mean theyre not as good gripping on ice / compacted snow / slush?

Secondly, my road is going to have plenty of compacted snow and ice ridges on it and I'm concerned about damaging the front air dam.

This will be the first ice and snow for UK Ampera/Volt owners - thoughts? Any input from Volt owners across the pond?

Mike

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Although US Volts have different tyres as standard, they are another LRR one. I've seen video of one going up a hill covered in ice that the ICEs couldn't due to better traction control.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Mike
The ampera I think drives great in snow and ice on just the normal tyres compared to several other cars I have driven.
I think the smooth power delivery of the drive unit makes it easy to pull away, and early on today a few inches of snow presented no problems.
You can hear the rubber skirt complaining about the snow and ice, but its still there so no bother.

Put my snow wheels back on earlier and as I had already experienced in Europe it's a dream to drive with no surprises, unless you push too hard.

Garŷ

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the Ampera on Saturday on the icy roads local to my house and was very pleased with how well it handled them. The regenerative braking was a big help slowing the car in a controllable way at junctions. One other aspect of the car I liked was the pre-conditioning which avoided a whole lot of scraping ice off windows!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last time I drove in snow was in a manual rear wheel drive.
I drove the Volt about 400 miles over the weekend including heavy snow on Friday. I was amazed at how controlled it felt, the only drama being as I needed to slowly overtake a Merc going nowhere (actually backwards at times) uphill, my Volt slid the front end sideways a bit under power but it breezed past.
With the gears in L stopping on ice was perfectly acheivable.
The airdam was scrapping the snow mounds between the ruts occasionaly but I understand that it's easily replaced if it breaks free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update...

I encountered more snow last Friday, just a little patch but this time it was too deep for my poor Volt.
The bottom of the car was grounded and both front wheels were off the ground. I went in quite fast so had to dig underneath and find five people to push me backwards out.
It cost me a few quid in the nearest pub! Met some nice people though.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit overconfident eh lol :) no damage I trust? Guess the underside is pretty flat (I haven't looked) so less to get damaged..

·
Registered
31 Posts
It was the only snow on the road in about 600 miles driving to, from and around Cumbria. I was not expecting it to be so deep :-(

The front air dam took a pasting but I won't be too upset if that falls off! The rest of the car seems just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts