Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this useful information on how to maintain ID.3 batteries. I need help understanding this, in the table where it indicates "Long distance" these are my questions:

1. Row - Maximum upload limit: 100% (avoid discharge the maximum). What does avoid discharge the maximum mean?
2. Row - Minimum load limit: 40%. Does that mean we should not let the battery % drop below 40% on a long journey, or does it mean when we charge a car on a long journey we should always charge to over 40%?
3. Row - Charging Type: The. reduced for alternating current charging overnight... This makes no sense to me?

It seems they have tried there best to make this simple, but to a non EV driver like myself I find the table particularly confusing. I think I get the following:

1. When you charge at home you should always make sure the car is between 20%-80% in the summer and 40%-80% in the winter.
2. Never use a DC fast charger if you can use an AC charger instead.
3. If you are going on a long trip, charge to 100% but use the car straight away do not leave it at 100% for anytime.

What does seem fantastic is that the ID.3 comes with a charge manager, providing the software for it works :).
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2316.JPG

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
They talk about ROOM TEMPERATURE for the battery.

They talk about using the battery CORRECTLY

Clearly read the fine print before parting with any cash.

·
Registered
416 Posts
1. Row - Maximum upload limit: 100% (avoid discharge the maximum). What does avoid discharge the maximum mean?
Avoid taking the battery to a low level maybe below 10%? Total guess as it is confusing.

2. Row - Minimum load limit: 40%. Does that mean we should not let the battery % drop below 40% on a long journey, or does it mean when we charge a car on a long journey we should always charge to over 40%?
Don't charge unless you are below 40% is how I'd interpret that.

3. Row - Charging Type: The. reduced for alternating current charging overnight... This makes no sense to me?
It makes no sense, it could mean that the AC charging type is best used when charging over longer periods, e.g. when staying overnight at a hotel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Avoid taking the battery to a low level maybe below 10%? Total guess as it is confusing.

It makes no sense, it could mean that the AC charging type is best used when charging over longer periods, e.g. when staying overnight at a hotel.
Its actualy prety simple its basicaly lowest charge level basicaly if you plug it in with 35% it will start charge to 40% then wait and finish charging to 100% before departure. This long and short distance modes are simply preplaned settings for minimum and max charge levels that eGolf has

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its actualy prety simple its basicaly lowest charge level basicaly if you plug it in with 35% it will start charge to 40% then wait and finish charging to 100% before departure. This long and short distance modes are simply preplaned settings for minimum and max charge levels that eGolf has
That makes perfect sense and actually seems to be a very good feature.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I am glad I am not the only person confused. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They talk about ROOM TEMPERATURE for the battery.

They talk about using the battery CORRECTLY

Clearly read the fine print before parting with any cash.
It seems like it will be very difficult to get them to replace the battery. :). However the fact that the ID.3 has LG batteries and has liquid cooling and heating the batteries should not be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts