Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the car continues to do it's best to annoy me .... I post this for information only, I'm not interested in trying to guess what could be wrong here but more as a bit of a warning for people.

We have an Osprey charger in town, and I have credit to use on the wecharge card, so off I go to charge the car, especially as it's peeing down with rain so I'm getting bugger all solar.

The ID.3 resolutely fails to charge, plug it in, hold the plug, push it up, pull it down, wiggle it about, make a sacrifice to the god of charging, do a dance, nothing ... in 5 attempts now it has charged once.

Take the Tesla up there, just charges, no fuss plug it in and it does what it supposed to do.

No big deal as it's local but if I was on a journey and needed it, I'd be hacked off (so as always, have a plan B) and if I was a newbie I might be thinking this electric car malarky isn't quite what it's cracked up to be :mad:

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
It’s a strange one, I haven’t tried an Osprey charger yet, but mine has always charged first time on everything I’ve ever plugged it into.

It was connected to an Instavolt at Keswick once, it stopped and when I got out to check the charger was completely dead. I don’t think my car killed it!

But you’re right, this EV malarkey isn’t quite what it’s cracked up to be for a lot of people.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
450 Posts
What exactly happens when you try and charge?
I use Osprey successfully all the while. The only issue was when the RFID card reader was faulty which I reported and they repaired within a few days.

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the RFID card reader issue as well and yup that was fixed. So the usual routine, select authentication, select "nozzle" plug in, run round to the other side of the unit (not easy at the moment for me as the blinking hip replacement isn't going great), run back round to the car, white light flashing, charger says "starting", charger says "failed to start". Unplug, repeat but try holding plug at a variety of different angles/push it in and hold it etc.

Another point I missed was it has been doing this on both versions of car software. I got chatting to Ian the CEO when it first went in and he pointed out that one of the challenges of the public charging world is they buy a charging unit of manufacturer A and they are reliant on them to update their software for each car that is on the market and is coming onto the market. Then they have to test and adapt each time said set of cars updates their software. So no easy trick to pull off but then of course there is an alternative with a private network where you can control the variables.

So far with the V-Dub I've had success at Instavolt, failure at Ionity (seemed like a card reading issue) and failure at the local Osprey. Now of course you could go to the same network with different charger hardware and maybe get a different result, but as I say it get's bit wearing when you have to goo down to this level of granular detail and all this is not going to help joe public get off the dino juice and stop poisoning us as all (exaggeration for dramatic effect here).

It's frustrating in that I do fancy taking the car beyond the shopping run but every time we do a journey we take the Tesla, it's just easier.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I had the RFID card reader issue as well and yup that was fixed. So the usual routine, select authentication, select "nozzle" plug in, run round to the other side of the unit (not easy at the moment for me as the blinking hip replacement isn't going great), run back round to the car, white light flashing, charger says "starting", charger says "failed to start". Unplug, repeat but try holding plug at a variety of different angles/push it in and hold it etc.

Another point I missed was it has been doing this on both versions of car software. I got chatting to Ian the CEO when it first went in and he pointed out that one of the challenges of the public charging world is they buy a charging unit of manufacturer A and they are reliant on them to update their software for each car that is on the market and is coming onto the market. Then they have to test and adapt each time said set of cars updates their software. So no easy trick to pull off but then of course there is an alternative with a private network where you can control the variables.

So far with the V-Dub I've had success at Instavolt, failure at Ionity (seemed like a card reading issue) and failure at the local Osprey. Now of course you could go to the same network with different charger hardware and maybe get a different result, but as I say it get's bit wearing when you have to goo down to this level of granular detail and all this is not going to help joe public get off the dino juice and stop poisoning us as all (exaggeration for dramatic effect here).

It's frustrating in that I do fancy taking the car beyond the shopping run but every time we do a journey we take the Tesla, it's just easier.
Chademo just works!

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So does CCS ... on a model 3 :rolleyes:

Reactions: freddym and ringi

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
450 Posts
I have charged ok at Osprey (many times) via RFID, Engie many times via RFID, Instavolt 5 or 6 times, Ionity once, GeniePoint a couple of times via website.
I have had some failures but looking back I think they were probably all faults with the charger not the car. I think once you lose trust in the car you tend to look at it as the cause for most problems, although clearly if your Tesla works that is very strange!!
I do think the ID3 seems quite keen to lock the cable in on a red light rather too easily though. So if things look to be going iffy I always quickly get the cable out quickly and then try again from scratch, don’t leave it in too long else it will lock it and give you a problem!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
I’ve had this once at an Osprey, tried the same point twice and it didn’t work, I have used that point before and since with no issues.

At the time, I tried the next point along and it worked first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was recently trying to charge my ID.3 at an Osprey and it authorised my bank card but couldn’t negotiate with the car so kept failing - three times. So I phoned support and she went through various questions, including “Is the driver's door open?” It was (it was a warm day) so she said to close it and try again. Needless to say the charging session started. She said that some cars don’t charge with the door open. It had never happened to me before (or since) but the very fact that she asked the question leads me to think that it is a known issue, perhaps with some cars or maybe with some chargers. Or maybe its just coincidence. But she did ask that question…..and after closing the door it worked.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
I’ve successfully used the Osprey points I mentioned above with the driver door open during the handshake multiple times - I’ve never considered the state of the door, but have read this “tip” elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts