Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

621 - 640 of 662 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,294 Posts
The ID is designed as an EV, surely a purely electric car would be designed to be as efficient as possible and could make better use of the energy than an ICE derived EV. It wouldn't take magic to make a slightly larger, heavier car as efficient as the smaller one through good design and efficient engineering.
I’ve never quite followed the oft used ‘SpeakEV’ism’ of ICE derived EVs being somehow automatically worse than a ground up EV. The e-Golf is a case in point, turns out you can just shove a motor and some batteries into a car and get good efficiency.

As somebody has already mentioned, a ground up EV design is mostly about packaging and manufacturing ease, not automatically efficiency. I’m sure I’ve said it before, cars are a compromise aerodynamically, otherwise they’d all look like UFOs on wheels.

It wouldn’t take magic to make the ID,3 more efficient than the e-Golf, but it would require the bending of the laws of physics and aero.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
179 Posts
We get bang on 3.4 m/kwh almost every journey. Long term and since start it shows 3.4. It's uncanny how it never seems to change. I wonder if the warmer weather that (might) come in summer will see that increase.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The WLTP tests start at 23c and then are repeated at 14c (as apparently that's the average European temperature).

Either way, the cars are not comparable.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
552 Posts
My tests of ID.3 58 kWh & Ioniq 38 at true 70 mph on motorway show the Ioniq to be 10% more efficient than the ID.3 . On that basis, I think it's going to be a close call between Ioniq 38 & ID.3 45 kWh as to which has the better range! It's even lighter still, with better aerodynamics, slimmer, lighter, cheaper tyres, and a decent set of buttons to play with!
Will be a good race between Ioniq 38 and ID3 45, Ioniq has better efficiency, ID3 has faster charging!

·
Registered
261 Posts
We get bang on 3.4 m/kwh almost every journey. Long term and since start it shows 3.4. It's uncanny how it never seems to change. I wonder if the warmer weather that (might) come in summer will see that increase.
That’s strange -is it not affected by the outside temperature at all? I’ve had as low as 2.7 on cold days and a personal best of 4.3 when it was 18°. That’s on essentially the same journey.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That’s strange -is it not affected by the outside temperature at all? I’ve had as low as 2.7 on cold days and a personal best of 4.3 when it was 18°. That’s on essentially the same journey.
The very short range journeys into wife's work are lower, but anything over 10 miles evens out the long term to 3.4. I don't seem to be able to get any higher when we do longer journeys.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
The very short range journeys into wife's work are lower, but anything over 10 miles evens out the long term to 3.4. I don't seem to be able to get any higher when we do longer journeys.
Sounds about right on the longer journeys in the still single figure temps we’ve been having.

I did a long trip last week when the temp was in the high teens, and it was significantly better.

Mind you, I tend to trade efficiency for speed, so end up with a lower efficiency number but a shorter journey time wise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's taking the weather a long time to get any higher than low teens so far this year.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don’t know how efficient my ID.3 is because I can’t really be bothered to test it properly. I have to go up some very long, steep hills at the beginning of most of my long journeys which skews the overall efficiency logging of the journey. So I have to make an effort to reset after that bit to really test.

But more than that, I just can’t be bothered. I find that if anything the ID.3 has too much range for me. I usually end up with the dilemma of wanting to stop for a bite to eat with the SOC still somewhere up around 50% and wondering whether I should plug in at all.

So with that in mind, there just doesn’t seem much point in me putting it in Eco mode and really focusing on driving efficiently in order to do a decent test.

Maybe one day I will for the purposes of science, but right now I‘m really not tracking the mi/kWh thing at all. I’m just driving it as fast as I want to, and as hard as I want to, and not thinking about efficiency.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would be good to get better than my usual 3.5 on the motorway. Dont go over about 68 mph in D on ACC so not exactly hammering it.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
It would be good to get better than my usual 3.5 on the motorway. Dont go over about 68 mph in D on ACC so not exactly hammering it.
ACC does seem to be less efficient than manual in my experience with the ID.3. Just passed 10k miles in mine I noticed today! 😳

The time I’ve driven in 15c plus, it makes a big difference, either higher efficiency or higher speeds for the same efficiency.

Roll on the summer proper!

·
Registered
306 Posts
3.5 miles per kWh maintaining 68mph on the motorway? What ambient temps are we talking about for that?

When I pick my ID3 up, I have a 240 mile journey home with it. Going to ask for a 100% charge, but even so, I've got a dilemma on my hands. Do I...

1. Drive like a nun and see if it's possible to get home or nearly home (2 sets of chargers near my workplace, 31 miles from home that I would elect to use to give myself a safety margin) just out of curiosity.

2. To hell with it, it's a new car to be enjoyed, find a charging point at 80 -100 mikez from home and top up.

I'll have a long day on pick up day. I've got to get from Newcastle to Evesham as early as possible and still face at least a 4 hour drive home after pick up.

Just planning how to get there as quickly and cheaply as possible seems a total PITA given the volatility of ticket prices.

1. Newcastle to King's Cross then London Paddington to Evesham isn't too bad, the cheap tickets to London start fairly early. Long time on the train, transit times between 2 legs is fairly short.

2. Newcastle to Birmingham then Birmingham to Evesham. The cheap tickets start later. Less time on the train, but long waits for second leg.

3. Newcastle to Cheltenham then an Uber back up to Evesham seems the most convenient.

I suppose that's the downside of going via a broker.

·
Registered
261 Posts
After having my car in B mode pretty much since I first got it, I’ve been experimenting with D over the last few days and I think I prefer it. I can see that when I am coasting up to a junction in D there is no regen going on as you would expect and then when I finally use the brakes for the last few yards, the regen indicator can be almost full. Is it regenerating the equivalent of what B mode would have done when my foot is off the gas?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
127 Posts
Yes, brakes only kick in above a certain force - aka if you brake quickly. It uses regen to brake as much as it is allowed to.

D or B is a superficial difference but by driving similar to B in D mode you achieve the same thing.

Also note that the car predicts junctions even in D mode and applies more auto regen at that point anyway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mechanical brakes only kick in once you've maxed out the green bar which is more than 0.25g worth of braking according to a page on the VW newsroom.

The caveats to this being when the battery is full, you max out the green bar long before 0.25g is achieved.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
263 Posts
Mechanical brakes only kick in once you've maxed out the green bar which is more than 0.25g worth of braking according to a page on the VW newsroom.

The caveats to this being when the battery is full, you max out the green bar long before 0.25g is achieved.
Or perhaps more accurately, the available green bar is much shorter when the battery is very full ( to the point of being virtually non-existent at 100%); it took a good 10/15 minutes of driving before I got full length green bar and hence full regen at something like 93/94%. It was a touch disconcerting the first and only time I’ve charged to 100 - approaching roundabouts near journey start, lifting off and getting almost zero regen braking!

·
Registered
89 Posts
3.5 miles per kWh maintaining 68mph on the motorway? What ambient temps are we talking about for that?

When I pick my ID3 up, I have a 240 mile journey home with it. Going to ask for a 100% charge, but even so, I've got a dilemma on my hands. Do I...

1. Drive like a nun and see if it's possible to get home or nearly home (2 sets of chargers near my workplace, 31 miles from home that I would elect to use to give myself a safety margin) just out of curiosity.

2. To hell with it, it's a new car to be enjoyed, find a charging point at 80 -100 mikez from home and top up.

I'll have a long day on pick up day. I've got to get from Newcastle to Evesham as early as possible and still face at least a 4 hour drive home after pick up.

Just planning how to get there as quickly and cheaply as possible seems a total PITA given the volatility of ticket prices.

1. Newcastle to King's Cross then London Paddington to Evesham isn't too bad, the cheap tickets to London start fairly early. Long time on the train, transit times between 2 legs is fairly short.

2. Newcastle to Birmingham then Birmingham to Evesham. The cheap tickets start later. Less time on the train, but long waits for second leg.

3. Newcastle to Cheltenham then an Uber back up to Evesham seems the most convenient.

I suppose that's the downside of going via a broker.
Done a number of longer motorway drives in the last 2 weeks so 6 to 12 centigrade.
Go for option 2 and always charge 10% more than you think you need to get home.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Or perhaps more accurately, the available green bar is much shorter when the battery is very full ( to the point of being virtually non-existent at 100%); it took a good 10/15 minutes of driving before I got full length green bar and hence full regen at something like 93/94%. It was a touch disconcerting the first and only time I’ve charged to 100 - approaching roundabouts near journey start, lifting off and getting almost zero regen braking!
Maybe this is a contributory factor into why VW generally advise only charging to 80%, unless you need that full 100% for a long journey?

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
368 Posts
And remember initial battery heating will cost you 3 to 5 miles and aircon up to 15 on a long journey.
It is quite a warm car, I guess well sound insulated. Any sun outside even when only 8 degs and I’ve got the aircon cooler on.
I think if you drive like a very warm monk you’d get about 220 miles on that long motorway journey.

·
Registered
306 Posts
And remember initial battery heating will cost you 3 to 5 miles and aircon up to 15 on a long journey.
It is quite a warm car, I guess well sound insulated. Any sun outside even when only 8 degs and I’ve got the aircon cooler on.
I think if you drive like a very warm monk you’d get about 220 miles on that long motorway journey.
I do like a cool car, looks like I will have the aircon on. This may be the only trip of the year where range will be of concern to me.

What a memorable day pick-up will be - first drive in an EV (beyond test drive) and first charge out on the wild.

621 - 640 of 662 Posts