Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

641 - 660 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,664 Posts
I do like a cool car, looks like I will have the aircon on. This may be the only trip of the year where range will be of concern to me.

What a memorable day pick-up will be - first drive in an EV (beyond test drive) and first charge out on the wild.
Don't charge about, though!
You will be going faster than you think since it's quiet!

·
Registered
306 Posts
That was the weirdest thing about the test drive. I do like engine noise (our other current car - 2019 Polo GTI+ has a good engine note when wound up (I have the Soundaktor deactivated, so it's all genuine), and our old Golf R was great above 5k revs. I won't miss the tramping the Polo has when you're heavy on the throttle from a standstill.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
368 Posts
I do like a cool car, looks like I will have the aircon on. This may be the only trip of the year where range will be of concern to me.

What a memorable day pick-up will be - first drive in an EV (beyond test drive) and first charge out on the wild.
I did exactly the same. First EV, pick up in Kent 240 miles trip to Yorkshire. Charged with 60 miles to go.
My tips would be charge at 30% or so, no pressure. And look for a charging station with a plan B nearby. The Duckhampton, Markham Vale charging station just off the M1 might be good for you. Has 2 Instavolts and 2 Ospreys.
also has food outlets.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did exactly the same. First EV, pick up in Kent 240 miles trip to Yorkshire. Charged with 60 miles to go.
My tips would be charge at 30% or so, no pressure. And look for a charging station with a plan B nearby. The Duckhampton, Markham Vale charging station just off the M1 might be good for you. Has 2 Instavolts and 2 Ospreys.
also has food outlets.
The last leg of my journey will be getting onto the A19 from the A1(M) around Dishforth (A168) - there's some charging there on the route without a detour. That's where I'm aiming to get to unless the range really impresses, and I progress further on to Billingham.

Got got to get a pickup date sorted. The car arrived in Grimsby Tuesday teatime, was hoping to pick it up next Saturday / Sunday / Monday, but not sure how long it will take to get to Listers' Central PDI centre, then onto the dealership - so near yet so far.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Learned this lesson recently, I am currently filling out a speeding ticket notice as we speak :LOL: Hopefully they let me go on one of those courses to avoid points on my license, as I have a clean license currently and it would be nice to keep it like that.

Bloomin' ID.3! It's too quick... can I blame VW for this? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
368 Posts
And final tip if your not experienced using commercial chargers.
As Swiss Tony would say “Charging is like making love to a beautiful woman. Slowly and gently look and read all the signs on how to proceed and press all the right buttons. Dont just roll up, stick your nozzle in and hope for the best”

·
Registered
282 Posts
Learned this lesson recently, I am currently filling out a speeding ticket notice as we speak :LOL: Hopefully they let me go on one of those courses to avoid points on my license, as I have a clean license currently and it would be nice to keep it like that.

Bloomin' ID.3! It's too quick... can I blame VW for this? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
You could always say it suddenly accelerated and wouldn’t disengage - I’m sure they are familiar with the ID3’s “unusual” software behaviour and may well let you off 😂

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
84 Posts
also has food outlets.
The Markham Vale Services are becoming a regular stop for me on my Oxford to York university run. Last time I was there (April 25) there was a queue for the instavolts whereas the Ospreys were free. From what I can see although the Instavolt has a headline faster speed, at this charging point it shares 125kw between the two chargers. I have a 1st Edition so happy to use Osprey as its included in my We Charge credit :cool: The other stop I use is Ionity at Skelton Lakes (also due to the We Charge credit). I managed to roll in there on the same round trip with 6% remaining and get my first 100kw charging rate .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a bit of a hairy time coming back yesterday on the longest run I’ve done so far. It was a 90 mile round trip. I set off with 140 miles of range showing, so a reasonable margin I thought. When I arrived I was down to 90 miles for the 45 mile return trip. When I set off back though, night had fallen and so had the temperatures, down to 4°. I had the cabin set to 21° and the heated seat and steering wheel on. I then watched in horror as the range just melted away in front of me. It dropped 15 miles within a couple of miles of departing.

At the rate it was falling I was not going to make it back, so I turned the cabin heating off and switched the drive mode to Eco. This seemed to settle things down a bit. I was about 10 miles from home with 30 miles of range showing before I felt confident enough to put the cabin heating back on.

I guess the 90 mile range was based upon my previous day time trips at temperatures around 10°. I’ll have to plan better next time, but I was really cursing the car as I was shivering about half way back in the middle of nowhere last night.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,294 Posts
I had a bit of a hairy time coming back yesterday on the longest run I’ve done so far. It was a 90 mile round trip. I set off with 140 miles of range showing, so a reasonable margin I thought. When I arrived I was down to 90 miles for the 45 mile return trip. When I set off back though, night had fallen and so had the temperatures, down to 4°. I had the cabin set to 21° and the heated seat and steering wheel on. I then watched in horror as the range just melted away in front of me. It dropped 15 miles within a couple of miles of departing.

At the rate it was falling I was not going to make it back, so I turned the cabin heating off and switched the drive mode to Eco. This seemed to settle things down a bit. I was about 10 miles from home with 30 miles of range showing before I felt confident enough to put the cabin heating back on.

I guess the 90 mile range was based upon my previous day time trips at temperatures around 10°. I’ll have to plan better next time, but I was really cursing the car as I was shivering about half way back in the middle of nowhere last night.
I always leave the heating on, I find the best way to stop erosion of the predicted range remaining is to slow down.

It’s pretty accurate too the GOM, especially when you’re down to double figures, so I’m happy to set off with 20 miles showing over my distance to destination, unless the weather is very wet/windy, then I might want a bit more.

On Saturday I started a return leg of 111 miles with 131 showing, arrived home with 17 miles remaining and about 8%.

I haven’t had this much fun doing fuel consumption calculations since I was doing my PPL! 🙂

·
Registered
89 Posts

Need to be very careful with the GOM if you are doing a mixture of driving, e.g. b roads then motorway. Try ABRP.
Turn heating off, slow down to 60-65 and keep seat heater on is best policy.
But it ain't great on motorways always charge high

·
Registered
261 Posts
The entire journey was in Lincolnshire, so motorways were not a factor (we don't have any). It was mainly NSL A and B roads with 30s and 40s through the odd towns and villages. I doubt my average speed was over 50.

I'm not bothered in the slightest about how much a journey costs me in terms of power consumed so in future I'll make sure I have more charge so I can have the heating blazing away without any range worries. I'll be jiggered if I'm in a new £35,000 car and having to drive with no heating in 4 degree temperatures for fear of it not having enough charge to get me home.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tonight was a bad night with the strong winds. 95 mile journey with 50 mile margin (59% charge)bailed once margin was down to 12 miles and 25 to go. Likely eould have been fine as off motorway by this time but a quick 10 minute charge made sure.

Temperature was falling, rain getting worse and wind meant not taking shortest route and wanted margin in case of road blockages from trees.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Isn't it just dandy that the wind and rain sucks the juice out of your car and then you have to get out in that driving rain to plug in your car.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,932 Posts
Yep - canopies would have been nice yesterday. I guess there’s an assumption that it only takes a few seconds to plug in (and successfully start a charge first time) versus several minutes holding a petrol pump….but IME that assumption can and often does fall down completely unless it’s a Supercharger or an Instavolt.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Haha… yeah, I also had a long drive in yesterday evening’s weather, and got rained on a bit when I made an unplanned charging stop because of it.

Still, it isn’t the end of the world really with the ID.3. Bad weather in the e-Golf was a pain in the neck because on a journey to somewhere 2 or 3 hours away I’d end up having to do at least one full 20-80% charge, maybe two. Whereas in the ID.3 yesterday, I could have almost made it back probably… if I’d slowed from 70mph to 60mph I would have made it back I’m sure. But instead I plugged into a 150kW charger at a BP petrol station for literally just 5 minutes while I used the toilet (sorry @Tooks haha), and that little bit of charging gave me the extra I needed. Literally a ‘splash & dash’ in my case!

·
2,932 Posts
I had the mis-fortune of driving about 450 miles in yesterday’s weather, starting on 20% in the Kona, so that involved 4 stops, or 8 instances of getting rained on! But at least I wasn’t the unfortunate chap with young family we saw at Gretna with a broken iPace and JLR breakdown in attendance seemingly trying to get it to accept any charge. They were stood around outside in the rain the whole time we were there charging, and longer, whilst just opposite was the huge canopy over the fossil pumps taunting them with unobtainable shelter!

·
2,932 Posts
Well, you learn something every day. I feel a bit stupid, as it seems totally obvious now that I know it, but I did not know this is (presumably) the primary reason why petrol stations have canopies. I just kinda always thought it was so customers were kept dry and didn’t all go to the one station in town with a roof whenever it rained. :LOL:

641 - 660 of 662 Posts