Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Not much better at 50mph average, although it was 65 on the acc then fast single carriageway with towns and villages to drive through with various speed limits from 30-50.
Average was 2.7mi/kWh. The Golf would have been over 3 but would have needed to stop and charge. I did wonder if I might need to charge in the ID.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,039 Posts
We can make a whole new thread from Bjorn's video. 😆
Yes, like why he said it was ‘cold gating’ at the first charger when in reality he was probably just plugged into a rubbish charger.

The ionity one was a lot quicker towards the end of the video though, so probably puts paid to the cold gate theory.

Seems to be between 13 and 25% less efficient than the 2021 Model 3 then in sub zero temps?

·
EGGY
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
and a whole lot less efficient than an ID.3 in summer ... I'm sure he'll come out with some stats, with a bit of luck he'll get curious enough to get some software to monitor what is going on in more detail, that's the only way we're going to find out what's causing such poor performance

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,039 Posts
and a whole lot less efficient than an ID.3 in summer ... I'm sure he'll come out with some stats, with a bit of luck he'll get curious enough to get some software to monitor what is going on in more detail, that's the only way we're going to find out what's causing such poor performance
To be honest, and until the final software is rolled out, I’m taking reported efficiency figures with a pinch of salt.

The short range cold temp efficiency is impacted by the battery being heated to 18c (according to Bjorn), which would explain that.

I know that my own car under reports distance covered by 4%, which is reflected in what the car is reporting in terms of miles per kWh.

From watching the video, I can see that he charged a number of times from various percentages to various percentages, and although he says he adjusted the efficiency figures for distance, that’s taking the % charged figure as gospel in the efficiency calculation.

With so many other things ‘off’ with the ID.3 software at the moment, like the reported -58 kWh/h figure whilst he was charging on a max 50 kWh charger, I wouldn’t be surprised to find the cars reported figures miles off.

I know from my own tests down to 2%, there seems to be a lot of ‘blue power bar’ left at that battery percentage, more than I’d expect. In another YouTube review I watched, the reviewer drove the car until it ran out which was quite a long way past zero...

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
31 Posts
Does the battery heating operate differently if there is a destination programmed into the navigation? If the car knew it was being used on a normal commute of, say, 15 miles, then it could potentially avoid heating the battery, as it wouldn't need to be charged up again. Just hypothesising of course!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,039 Posts
Does the battery heating operate differently if there is a destination programmed into the navigation? If the car knew it was being used on a normal commute of, say, 15 miles, then it could potentially avoid heating the battery, as it wouldn't need to be charged up again. Just hypothesising of course!
I think that the battery heating is for the long life of the battery and/or having maximum power available sooner rather than later rather than being related to any range issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh OK. And it doesn't pre-heat the battery if you set a time for pre-heating the cabin, right?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,039 Posts
Oh OK. And it doesn't pre-heat the battery if you set a time for pre-heating the cabin, right?
It doesn’t appear to, which is something that obviously would be better, although it would still suck power from the wall to do so.

Maybe other cars do that anyway, and we just chalk it up as the cost of pre-heating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Of course, the energy has to come from somewhere. Think that it would be worthwhile to be able to do both battery heat and cabin heat off the mains, rather than from the battery.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,423 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see battery heating optimised in future. We might even get the option to Pre-warm before going on a charger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fingers crossed. It seems like it's all in software, so will hopefully continue being optimised.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I've been told by my local dealer that the preheat works differently in the latest update. I'll find out soon.
I think my battery was warmer on Sunday after preheating for over an hour while charging and loading the car. It climbed to 2.5mi/kWh much quicker than it did the previous week. It didn't make much difference to the overall efficiency though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Don't really monitor the Tesla because we don't use it for this sort of stuff and with the efficiency and capacity of the battery it's not been an issue (only had it since March to be fair) I'll try another test tomorrow. Compared to the i3 it looks strange, 33kw battery, winter range on a trip round the M25 would be 100 miles, summer 120. At the moment from a usable range perspective I'm an idiot, should have stuck with the i3. Looking at the tests people like Next Move have done it does seem as if there is an issue with efficiency in colder temperatures / the battery needs to be treated nicely. Bearing in mind the energy consumption from the home charger I wonder what the optimal time (and hence energy usage) would be to heat the cabin and the battery up for ? Is this the sort of efficiency e-Golf owners have experienced ?

This one does have proper doors though.
Have i3 and did consider id3 as next car as you could get one decent price compared to M3 .
With lockdown and working from home can't really justify changing.
So not loving range of id3 at moment then?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ok, so you don’t really monitor the Tesla because with its efficiency and capacity it isn’t an issue. It isn’t in the ID.3 either then.

I did just over a 3 hour 175 mile drive home last night in sub zero temps, and snow, in the dark, with heating and seat/steering wheel heater on. I didn’t have to stop to charge and arrived home with battery to spare.

Your i3 couldn’t do that, and nor could any e-Golf. It is what it is, and everybody will forget about it when you’re sailing past 200 miles when it gets warmer. I’ve already had over 200 miles out of a charge the first week I had it, when the temps were in the teens rather than freezing.
I3 range extender will do that. But your burning Dyno juice.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,039 Posts
The i3 is range extender

I know, I owned one.

The point is, we’re talking about electric car range here, you could put a 24 kWh leaf on a flat bed, and count that as ‘range’ too if you like. 😉

But anyway, if it makes you happier, an i3 couldn’t do 175 miles at 0 degrees on electric power only, without a range extender.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I know, I owned one.

The point is, we’re talking about electric car range here, you could put a 24 kWh leaf on a flat bed, and count that as ‘range’ too if you like.

But anyway, if it makes you happier, an i3 couldn’t do 175 miles at 0 degrees on electric power only, without a range extender.
The 120ah probably could if you were driving it carefully.

Definitely wouldn't with me driving, but nor does my ID3 with me at the wheel!

61 - 80 of 293 Posts