Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My thanks to @YoWombat who has spotted a definite assembly fauilt that's affecting more than 1 ID.3.
See his append here: HVAC fan failure

I looked inside my fusebox on RHS under bonnet, and, yes, mine's the same! Mine's a Life fwiw. I gave this 80A fuse a waggle. It appears to be firmly fastened at the RHS end, with a bolt from the underside going into a threaded hole.
The LHS end of the fuse is simply resting in contact against an M5 threaded post, probably it's the torque from the first bolt that's applying a small conrtact force. I can easily lift the free end of this fuse with my finger and take it out of contact! No sparks flew, but the car was powered off so I wouldn't expect any. But bouncing along the highway could be a different matter...

I have now fitted a washer, spring washer, and a Nyloc nut (plain will do if you can't find a Nyloc with the built-in nylon washer to discourage it coming loose) and tightened these up with an open-ended 8mm spanner. There's plenty of room to do this without any risk of shorting anything.

I'll post some pics in a moment. In the meantime, I consider this a fault, so please everyone check your fusebox under bonnet and see if te 80A fuse is bolted down.

Fuse as seen when Fuse Box lid removed

Fuse after fitting washer, spring washer nut

·
Registered
642 Posts
Each to their own but for something like that my car would go back to the dealer for a warranty-approved fix. I'd be careful about adding something like that to avoid any possible warranty implications.

I was initially refused a warranty replacement dashboard box by Skoda when the catch failed & it kept flipping open while driving. The reason they gave was that I had installed a phone holder that sat between the trim near the stereo (nowhere near the failed box) & they tried to assert that it had warped the dashboard, breaking the clip... In my experience anything to do with insurance or warranty is a minefield where those responsible for assessment will do anything they can to wriggle out of a payment/fix.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fair point about warranty. That said, I'm an engineer, and I know a fault when I see one as blatant as this. I would not want to be driving the car, even back to the dealer to fix, with a fault like this! God knows what might suddenly power off; servo brake pump? power steering? Worse? I'm prepared to stand up & back my case any day on this particular point.

That fuse is tehre to do something. It's not just a spare parked in case it may be neeed one day. And if it's for some as-yet unused feature, towbar lights maybe, it may be no problem, but I would not want it vibrating as that could cause fatigue at the other end! (Unlikely as I know very well, but I can argue that one from previous experience of a fatigued fuse).

I'm going to email my dealer right now about this item, also see if I can find a VW feedback site.

Reactions: Mr_G

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's the one - looks the same in mine.

The service guys in York didn't know if it was meant to be like this, but (as mentioned in the other thread) there was another car in the same state. My gut feel is that it didn't seem right to them for it to be unfastened either.

I made sure it wasn't the cause of my fan problem (just through continuity checks), and decided to leave it. But I likely would have done the same as @HandyAndy if it weren't in the workshop.

80A is a heft current!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,514 Posts
I think that it may be deliberate and be for something like a screwed 12v power connector for powering the car circuits during updates.
Whilst I'm not impressed by VW and the ID.3 situation I credit them to be better than to accidentally omit a nut and question why the stud is so long if it's just for the fuse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just spoken to a friend who bought a Family model. He's also missing the 80A Nut. So that sounds like 7/7 so far, including post immed above. All we need is one, just one instance of this car with that nut in place! Then we know VW have slipped up for sure...

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone here on twitter or facebook & can post the question to VW plz? Probably going to get a quicker response that way...

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's hope it is an accessory, and of no importance at the moment.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
199 Posts
The fuse looks like a limiter fuse but the vertical post (without the nut) does not look like a power terminal to me-
What circuits is the fuse used for -Does anyone have access to the manual to check?
From the photos and the way it is mounted it looks like it could possibly be a spare fuse or for uninstalled options on higher spec series models.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
Just been out to look at mine, a 1st Edition, no nut on that post, but as far as I can tell no wiring connected either end of the fuse either.

I’m away with work at the moment, I’ll get my borescope out tomorrow to confirm my wiring assertion, but it looks like it’s purpose is for additional/optional equipment that no ID.3 in the U.K. yet has.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not the Heat pump as I have that. Looks like not yet used. So why fit it?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
Any number of reasons I guess, mostly to do with inventory management, or it’s cheaper for the Tier X supplier to manufacture a basic fusebox that covers the whole range of models it will be fitted to?

I mean, there are terminals behind some of the fuse positions that aren’t used either, why make 20 versions of something when one will do.

It would be interesting to find out what it will be doing and in what models, for sure.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The fuse is listed as F1 in the manual, without a purpose (most positions have no purpose listed, including many that have fuses installed).

It doesn't appear to be a spare, as there is nothing else like it in either fusebox. In either style, or marked as 80.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
830 Posts
I've seen this on ice cars too, I thought a nut had been missed or even come loose but when I checked carefully I found it was just a spare & wasn't actually doing anything so left it as it was, its just the way it is...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have the same in my first edition. I had a quick look and came to the conclusion that it is for options not fitted (yet) and based on my experience in a previous life as a Manufacturing Engineer, I would also suggest that this is to aid the supplier process.

VW wanted to get this car out as simply, quickly and with miminal impact on the manufacturing process as possible and so the supply of a single or very few versions of the fuse box was specified. It's also why the first cars came as trim levels with no options aside from straightforward things like paint, wheels or different car mats. When the car becomes established, options will return like 'normal' cars as there's simply too much money to be made to not include them in the future.

I'd even suggest that the heat pump option will be a straightforward retrofit for those that can get the car apart and work it out.

I think I've read somewhere that VW wanted it to be possible to retrofit options that were installed at the factory but not enabled. I know Audi do this with things like sat nav.

·
Registered
Looking for a new EV...again 😂
421 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that VW wanted it to be possible to retrofit options that were installed at the factory but not enabled. I know Audi do this with things like sat nav.
Not just SatNav, if you go inside the ECU of any Audi with a OBDeleven for example you can activate host of options geared for a higher spec cars and "not available" out of the box for a lower spec.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts