Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with a backdrop of the UK only getting the ID.3 1ST Pro (middle one of the three 1ST editions), I wondered if anyone knew what of the main range will come to the UK, due in Germany in the autumn (but without HUD):
ID.3 Life
ID.3 Style
ID.3 Business
ID.3 Family
ID.3 Tech
ID.3 Max

Later, Q1 2021:
ID.3 Tour

ID.3 Pro Perf
ID.3 Pro S

I think that the ID.3 Tech might be the one for me, or the Style. Which, by the look of the German prices should be cheaper than the 1ST Pro.

·
Registered
ONTO car hire referral code - a6b57
68 Posts
The 'Life' looks pretty much spot on for us. More practical, dark-coloured seating, 18" wheels for a better ride and slightly better miles per kWh, and most of the kit we want. Just 2-zone aircon missing. Price could be v low 30s or even sub 30 with a bit of luck. 😃

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I have been reading that the 1ST do not have the hitch mount. So a key need for me is to be able to carry bicycles. If that is confirmed then the 1ST has another negative compared to a series ID.3

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nine distinctly named variants of the same vehicle - I don't understand why they don't just make three models, each sorted by battery size, and then you just select the options you would like. Typical confusing car manufacturer, making it pointlessly difficult for the consumer to know if they are getting the best value and configuration. By the time you figure out which one you want from the nine, the next version of the ID.3 has been launched and you have to start again. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nine distinctly named variants of the same vehicle - I don't understand why they don't just make three models, each sorted by battery size, and then you just select the options you would like. Typical confusing car manufacturer, making it pointlessly difficult for the consumer to know if they are getting the best value and configuration. By the time you figure out which one you want from the nine, the next version of the ID.3 has been launched and you have to start again. :p
It's to reduce the number of variants - easier and cheaper to make. You can only choose the wheels and colour for each model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's to reduce the number of variants - easier and cheaper to make. You can only choose the wheels and colour for each model.
Agreed. It is not the way I got used to buying cars, and VAG were masters of the options list, but I suppose economies are to be made by simplification of production variants. I often added about £10k of options to an AUDI or VW in the past!!!

However, after inspecting the pre-production ID.3 in January I was a little underwhelmed by its interior fittings. VW UK also kept me ill-informed about things too.

Then there were the timescale changes and the software issues. So I cancelled my pre-booking and now own a KIA Soul - the interior has more perceived quality in terms of touch points and can be compared to my Golf 7 GTi (still owned). I also have a working HUD which is great. So I am happy.

FYI, the efficiency of the drive train is so much better than my old Nissan LEAF 40 too, resulting in great real-world range.

If only I could say I really liked the exterior styling of the Soul and its rather small boot...but nothing is ever perfect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agreed. It is not the way I got used to buying cars, and VAG were masters of the options list, but I suppose economies are to be made by simplification of production variants. I often added about £10k of options to an AUDI or VW in the past!!!

However, after inspecting the pre-production ID.3 in January I was a little underwhelmed by its interior fittings. VW UK also kept me ill-informed about things too.

Then there were the timescale changes and the software issues. So I cancelled my pre-booking and now own a KIA Soul - the interior has more perceived quality in terms of touch points and can be compared to my Golf 7 GTi (still owned). I also have a working HUD which is great. So I am happy.

FYI, the efficiency of the drive train is so much better than my old Nissan LEAF 40 too, resulting in great real-world range.

If only I could say I really liked the exterior styling of the Soul and its rather small boot...but nothing is ever perfect.
I meant to add that the KIA was only a colour choice car for me - I would have liked to option the sunroof they can have in Canada, say.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,389 Posts
ID ShortrangeComparedToOriginalBlurb
ID TooExpensive
ID LongWait
ID LadaFittings

Any others ? ( Tongue is firmly in cheek if you haven't realised

·
Registered
409 Posts
I see why that might make sense, but then they've undone that by offering "NINE" variants, so in effect they've not reduced it just made it so you can't select what you want on your vehicle, and have to either miss options you want or take options that you don't, or be lucky and something prefect for you is already there.

Offering too many option in the first place is what complicates things, but obviously they need to ensure they can hit the base spec price when it actually launches, but that you can then add options back to it when you realise everything you might want has likely been removed to hit that price.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I have been reading that the 1ST do not have the hitch mount. So a key need for me is to be able to carry bicycles. If that is confirmed then the 1ST has another negative compared to a series ID.3
When I went in to my dealer, as part of being a pre-booker, I directly asked about the hitch mount in the 1ST - they said yes it would have the facility.

I am still in a quandary about whether to:
1. stay with the 1ST pre-book
2. wait for the ID.3 Tech and get my order on the list early
3. stick with the e-Golf

On #3, I would like more range, and a way to have a tow hitch for a bicycle rack. I also see the big benefits of having a solely designed for BEV rather than shoe-horning a battery pack, motor into a vehicles designed for ICE. This also applies to Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall e-208/etc. The reviews of the ID.3 really point out the great driving, handling, etc. I am less worried about the interior material selection - as I would gain electric seats, steering wheel. I like the extra cargo space in the ID.3.

So really it is 1ST or Tech. The dealer had no info about the models beyond the 1ST. But in fairness to them, they were well-briefed on the 1ST, the 1st Movers club, etc. I was their first pre-booker (1 of 5). And was already a BEV driver - fully experienced with all things BEV.

So what is the difference between the 1ST Pro (UK) and the ID.3 Tech, from some German info:
a) Tech has HUD, Panoramic roof, more colours, different wheel sizes and rims, insulated windscreen, back up horn, 6+1 speaker system, Travel Assist, Lane Assist, Emergency Assist, Side Assist, Inductive charging for phone
b) 1ST Pro has 1 mile more WLTP range (420 vs 419), the carpet mats are included, 2-Zone Climate, granny cable included, special 1ST features, 2000kW of free charging
And the Tech in German pricing seems to be €1000 less! Otherwise they seem to be the same in everything else.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
So what is the difference between the 1ST Pro (UK) and the ID.3 Tech, from some German info:
a) Tech has HUD, Panoramic roof, more colours, different wheel sizes and rims, insulated windscreen, back up horn, 6+1 speaker system, Travel Assist, Lane Assist, Emergency Assist, Side Assist, Inductive charging for phone
b) 1ST Pro has 1 mile more WLTP range (420 vs 419), the carpet mats are included, 2-Zone Climate, granny cable included, special 1ST features, 2000kW of free charging
And the Tech in German pricing seems to be €1000 less! Otherwise they seem to be the same in everything else.
Can you have combination of the tow hitch and the Panoramic roof?

The WLTP is presumably related to the wheel size (presumably you can down spec if bothered by a loss of 0.25% efficiency)?

Otherwise the Tech seems a much better deal!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you have combination of the tow hitch and the Panoramic roof?

The WLTP is presumably related to the wheel size (presumably you can down spec if bothered by a loss of 0.25% efficiency)?

Otherwise the Tech seems a much better deal!
Yes on the Tech you can have the Pano roof and hitch. (You get the Pano on the Family, Tech, Max. The hitch on all - some included and some as a extra option).

Yeah the WLTP difference was irrelevant!

And agreed the Tech seems a better deal. As I would be unlikely to charge at Ionity, and no idea about any We Charge network in the UK, the 2000kWH for free is unlikely to be used. The "cosmetic" aspects are largely irrelevant to me as are the extra acceleration. Sounds like I'm heading to a Tech. But there is a risk that the Tech may not make it to the UK, and the equipment and price may not be same as the German Tech variant.

May have to try to talk to someone in VW to resolve that, and leave my decision until the last moment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They will do that eventually. For now they just said that it is easier for them to scale production. They probably do big batches of the same trim on the same day.
Would be harder to do, if everyone can combine whatever package they want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
(My first post - so please be gentle! :))

I went into a dealer today to ask about line edition ordering and likely prices. I guess it may change, and could just be the current internal VW planning prices, but I saw that the configurator he had access to was showing a UK list price for the ID.3 Tour of £42,100. Based on that, scaling from the Euro prices listed in the VW Press release at https://vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4277, it might suggest these prices:

Life: £34,646
Business: £37,854
Family: £38,788
Tech: £41,085
Max: £40,048
Base Pro-S: £37,533
Pro-S Tour: £42,100

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,681 Posts

I went into a dealer today to ask about line edition ordering and likely prices. I guess it may change, and could just be the current internal VW planning prices, but I saw that the configurator he had access to was showing a UK list price for the ID.3 Tour of £42,100. Based on that, scaling from the Euro prices listed in the VW Press release at https://vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4277, it might suggest these prices:

Not sure what to make of these figures without access to configurator but worth knowing to see what happens (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts

I think the press release is inaccurate, as it's not consistent with Emission-free mobility for all: sales of ID.3 start on July 20
It doesn't make sense that the Tech is more expensive than Max, and there has to be more than £1k mark up for the Tour.

I've seen on Facebook that dealers have advised Life will be £32,990 and Max £39,990. This is broadly consistent with Tour at £42,100 when priced at €48,432 in Germany.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I suspect any prices could be subject to change depending on how the EU trade negotiations go. If we end up on World Trade Organisation terms there will be a 10% tariff on EU manufactured cars. I know these negotiations tend to go down to the wire but there appear to be a couple of areas where it's hard to see an agreement being reached. It was this uncertainty that persuaded me to put a deposit down on one of the cancelled order 1st edition cars, another £4K on the price would make me think twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the press release is inaccurate, as it's not consistent with Emission-free mobility for all: sales of ID.3 start on July 20
It doesn't make sense that the Tech is more expensive than Max, and there has to be more than £1k mark up for the Tour.

I've seen on Facebook that dealers have advised Life will be £32,990 and Max £39,990. This is broadly consistent with Tour at £42,100 when priced at €48,432 in Germany.
I see what you mean - the figures in that link are more logical taking into account the relative specs. Looks like a transcription error on the original link, as most of the Euro price numbers are the same, just against different trims. I'm pretty sure of the £42,100 expected figure for the Tour, as the dealer said that was his currently expected price for it as well as me seeing it on his screen. Hopefully we'll know soon! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts