Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, I'm happy currently* that I went the route I did, spent a bit more money but got a really good system for it. Comparing my factory system to my aftermarket system the biggest advantage has been that at higher volumes panels don't buzz and vibrate annoyingly anymore. They filtered it so most of the bass goes to the sub in the boot, and being able to turn the volume up as high as I like with no buzzing interior panels is a huge difference. Just adding rear speakers might have improved the sound a little, but putting in a sub and a proper amp has made most of the difference in mine I suspect.

*(I say currently because I haven't had to claim for anything on the warranty since putting it in. Remains to be seen whether they'd decline warranty work on the car now because of it)
Hi. I´m thinking about to improve my audio system in my ID 3. It will cost me 700€ to put new speakers in front (Hifonics) and back (car rear tray) with an amply (the old school way, I mean, tying wires from front to rear). I´m not sure to do it because of the warranty of the car and the possible problems with the 12v battery. But from the other side, I miss a lot a good sound in our car. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid an aftermarket installer to fit my system, so I can't give you any technical advice unfortunately. I also haven't had to take it in for any warranty work since having the audio system put in, so I don't know whether my warranty will have been affected or not. If you read back through the thread you'll see there were a range of opinions about that from people. Some people thought I was mad and would definitely lose my warranty for almost everything; other people thought it wasn't a big risk and I shouldn't worry about it. If my car keeps behaving well - as it is at the moment - for the next two years and doesn't need any warranty work, we may never know!

On the system itself, though I didn't get it done in stages so I can't say for sure, I suspect the biggest improvement comes from now having a powered sub. If you're running cables to the boot anyway, I would suggest you consider this. The Pioneer TS-WX400DA fits so perfectly in the little cubby underneath the boot floor that it's almost like it was made for the ID.3!
Thanks. I´ve been reading all the quotes and it drives me in really doubt. Maybe I´ll take the solution of upgrading my front speakers and keep my guarantee. I´m not sure. Thanks anyway!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Worth saying that what I've had done to my ID.3 isn't technically much more invasive than just replacing the front speakers. You will be plugging 2 wires (right and left audio channel) into third party equipment - the front speakers. My installer has also plugged 2 wires (right and left audio channel) into third party equipment - the amp and powered sub. In terms of repurposing the factory wiring, the only thing extra in my setup is that the installer will have had to find a switched power source from somewhere.

Of course, my install will be more detectable by a dealer than yours. But if VW denied a warranty claim for something big that isn't related to either the audio, or panel rattles where my installer had the door cards off etc. and I took them to court, it would be interesting to see them argue how the problem could have been caused by tapping into two audio channels and switched power! Though I suspect unless it was something ruinously expensive out of warranty, I wouldn't go to the hassle of taking them to court and would just glumly pay up.

But, bottom line, in terms of wiring what you're proposing isn't much less invasive than what I had done. If I've put my warranty at risk (whether I've put it marginally at risk, or significantly at risk is a matter of forum debate!), you will be putting your warranty at some theoretical risk by replacing speakers too.
Hi.
At the end, I decided to go on for the upgrade as you did. They upgraded my front speakers and put others in car rear tray with an DSP. Now it sounds better, but I think I´m going to put a subwoffer to improve the sound (as the installer told me).
Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.