Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
I'll be waiting until after market kits become available. The sound isn't that great so I can imagine adding rear speakers will help that much, apart from my daughter being able to hear the music when she's in the car. She's the one who likes music on the most but it's not that often she's in the car so it's rarely an issue. Uni runs will be about the only time, once she's able to go back.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
I don't find the sound that much worse than the e-Golf. I'm not saying it sounds great but it's a passable as the Golf, minus the rear speakers.
I've just got used to it I think, I'm at the point where it doesn't bother me any more.

Saying that, if you find a way to upgrade the sound for less than £500 I might just be following in your footsteps, depending on how efficient the car is over the next few weeks and months.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
Has anyone been brave enough to pull the Infotainment Head unit and at least check to see whether the wiring loom to the rear speaker are connected? It is dead easy no tools needed.

You just need to carefully squeeze the hinge stops on the glove box door (both sides simultaneously) and fold the door down to 6 o clock position. It will then simply unhook giving access to various electronics modules.
Th infotainment module is then visible. A simple plastic latch will allow it to realise and slide forward.

Going by Golf 7 wiring the Rear speaker pairs should be wired to the outer terminals of the orange/ brown 8-pin plug shown below:

View attachment 141530

If rear speakers are not pre-wired the you will only have the centre 4 pins connected (outer pins empty)

However If you are worried about warranty I would not go messing with the OEM plug though.

A quick google for 52 pin Volkswagen Quadlock Extension yields Harness 30cm and 60cm extension for a few quid.

Plug the Extension Harness between the OEM loom and the Head unit and you can make all the mods you like by splicing into the harness.

Simple to remove again and return to as supplied condition if your vehicle need to go back fro warranty work.

I have already ordered a harness extension one which I will mod to suit my subwoofer experiment/ project.

Example below (a bit on the expensive side) but there are cheaper ones from China

60 CM Power Quadlock extension, 52 pin
How do you get the head unit out?
I've opened the glove box fully, pulled what I assume is the head unit forward but it hits on the plastic of the dash and won't drop down enough to clear it.
Don't want to force anything and break it at this stage of ownership.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
@Tooks how did you get the unit out? I looked again this afternoon and couldn't work out how to get it forwards without pulling the dash apart!

With regards to connecting more speakers is normally possible to add more speakers without causing issues. A second speaker increases the resistance but amps will usually deliver more watts at a higher resistance.
You would need to find out the spec of the amp abs the speakers fitted but iirc in hifi terms a 50 watt amp delivers those 50 Watts at 8 ohms will deliver maybe 80 Watts at 4 ohms.
If the speakers in the front doors are 8 ohms adding a second pair of 8 ohm speakers in the rear doors will still work fine as the resistance will now be 4 ohms. The amp might be working a little harder but will still be well within spec as it is able to deliver more watts when the resistance is increased.
Unless you are turning the volume up really high all the time it's unlikely the amp would working hard anyway.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
Thanks, but I don't really need to remove it now you've had a look. I did manage to break one of the clips that holds the unit in first time I tried to remove it, in the dark, so I've been much more careful with it since then.

For anyone adding speakers rear using the front connection you'll need to check they give a similar volume. In the past I've heard speakers that aren't make much sound at all because the other speaker takes all the signal. I can't remember what the issue was but it's related to the resistance and not always entirely straight forward.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
I understood that amps don't cope long term with no load being connected, but that may have all changed with modern digital amps.
I still like my 80's analogue gear, I can understand a little bit of what's going, and a lot of 'tech' I played with was much higher powered semi pro sound systems.
I know that's completely different now and it's all controlled by software and needs a network engineer to make it all work together.

Sounds very similar to the ID3.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
But what is the cold weather, short journey, audio quality like? I feel a mega-thread for us to join forces coming! ;)
Is the same as when the sun is shining, pretty average. Matches the efficiency quite nicely
I'm currently considering getting an ipace or etron for the weekend just to see how bad the efficiency can be. Might make me feel better about the ID3 as the difference between the ID and Golf is still quite significant.

Though, for the record, I really am mainly past the 'whining' stage on all this... .
Like me with the efficiency? I'm not saying much but only because I'm tired of posting about the same thing all the time and getting the same responses, basically shut up going on about it the rest of us don't mind as long as the car works for our needs.
At least you can improve the sound if you want to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.