Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 2.1 update thread, the view was expressed that it wasn't the place to talk about rejected cars. So I thought I'd start another thread specifically for us drop-outs and rejects! This thread is for those of us who are 'too cool for skool' and certainly too cool to spend weeks and weeks waiting around for VW to fix our inoperable cars.

Those teacher's pets (Herbert Diess' pets?) who are sticking it out in ID.3 school, knuckling down, getting the grades etc. may want to look away now.

I'm not technically an ID.3 reject yet, as I have given my dealer until Tuesday to fix my ID.3. But I have a strong suspicion that they won't hit that deadline!

My own latest tale of customer service woe is as follows,
  • VW Customer Support told me there's nothing they can do to help, and I should speak to my dealer.
  • My dealer ignored my email and dodged my calls all day yesterday. I finally got through to my salesman at the end of the day, and he said he'd been too busy to reply but would talk to his business manager and email me back first thing.
  • No email reply today. Wait until lunchtime to start bugging them (I also have a day job, so can't make bugging VW a full-time job as well), am told by reception multiple times that the salesman is there but too busy to talk.
  • Keep calling back, eventually I get through to salesman. He says "yeah, I'm swamped today, haven't had a chance to talk to the business manager."
  • I've been nice and polite with them up until then, but I lose it a bit at this point, tell him that it is frankly not good enough and he should pay more attention to the customers he already has instead of chasing new ones. He suddenly sounds like he's actually paying attention finally and promises to talk to the business manager right away.
  • An hour or so later, I have a reply from the business manager saying something like "I'm really sorry, no-one has raised this with me until now and so I need to look into your case. I'll talk to our service department and Volkswagen right away and commit to calling you by midday tomorrow to discuss further."
So now I wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I am on a waiting list for an iD3 from VW FInchley Road London. I have not actually driven one due to Covid. I have not put down any cash as the salesman said that he was happy to have an order, and if I did not like the car when it arrived, he would sell it to someone else. He was happy to have a car ordered.
So I am interested to know what problem/s you have and are you prepared to name and shame your dealer?
I currently have a BMW i3 and in 3 years have had no problems. I like the idea of the iD3 but am nervous about owning one given the number of problems that are reported
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread should really be named "Group therapy for those who had some shitttty luck that is not representative of the masses".
Hey, if I’m not allowed to post about my bad luck in other threads, you’re not allowed to post about your good luck in mine 😉
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on a waiting list for an iD3 from VW FInchley Road London. I have not actually driven one due to Covid. I have not put down any cash as the salesman said that he was happy to have an order, and if I did not like the car when it arrived, he would sell it to someone else. He was happy to have a car ordered.
So I am interested to know what problem/s you have and are you prepared to name and shame your dealer?
I currently have a BMW i3 and in 3 years have had no problems. I like the idea of the iD3 but am nervous about owning one given the number of problems that are reported
My problems specifically are that the car went in for the software to be updated from 2.0 to 2.1 a few weeks ago and never came back. My dealer at first thought the control unit had failed, but the last I heard have now been told by VW that they need to write a specific software 'token' for it (whatever that is) to bring it back to life, but they have no ETA on how long that will take.

Some others here have posted to say that they have similar problems with the 2.1 update but, in the interests of balance, I should say that those cars that have been 'bricked' by the 2.1 update appear to be the minority and most owners seem to have had the update completed successfully.

I'm not ready to name and shame my dealer yet (I'm unlikely to do so publicly), but I will say that it is not the dealer that you have your order with.
 

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
Joined
·
676 Posts
they need to write a specific software 'token' for it (whatever that is) to bring it back to life
Posh term for a big number. Remember when you sometimes had to enter a code into your car radio when something went wrong? That's a reasonable analogy here, except that the process is a bit more complicated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posh term for a big number. Remember when you sometimes had to enter a code into your car radio when something went wrong? That's a reasonable analogy here, except that the process is a bit more complicated.
Maybe VW could spin it to be a selling point... "our cars' systems are so secure that even we can't get into them!" :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest on my saga is that the business manager at the dealership has come back and asked if I can give them until Friday 16th of April to fix it. Reason for that date is that their sole EV technician is on leave next week so can't do any more work on it until the following week even if VW do come back with a solution! He did offer, as a gesture, to let me swap my Golf courtesy car for their ID.3 demonstrator.

To be honest, I'm pretty much done with the whole thing now and my preference is to just take the money and run to a different EV from another manufacturer as of now, and I told him as much. But in the interests of doing my best to be reasonable, I did say to him that I would reluctantly agree on the condition that I can swap the Golf for an ID.3 today, that if my car isn't fixed by the 16th we can start talking about refunds with no further delay, and that if I do reject on the 16th I can keep the ID.3 demonstrator until the 19th so that I have transport over that weekend.

That was a couple of hours ago and he hasn't replied. I've not been in a position where I've been able to call either, so I hope he emails back soon to tell me what time this afternoon I can swap the Golf for an ID.3 or my annoyance levels will go up if I do have to call him later this afternoon when my work situation allows to chase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I have to say you have more patience than I would have had. How long have they had your car already? A couple of weeks? Even now there's no guarantee that it will be fixed by 16 April, as they are still in VW's hands. I think I'd be rejecting today and asking the dealer for another car or a full refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to say you have more patience than I would have had. How long have they had your car already? A couple of weeks? Even now there's no guarantee that it will be fixed by 16 April, as they are still in VW's hands. I think I'd be rejecting today and asking the dealer for another car or a full refund.
Haha... I know... just a few weeks ago I was telling @Kansalis he was being too patient in not rejecting his as well :ROFLMAO:

By the 16th they will have had my car nearly 5 weeks. So that is definitely as long as they'll get from me. I said in my reply to the business manager that I already want to reject immediately, so I'm agreeing to this reluctantly and absolutely will not give them any further extensions beyond this one.

He just came back to me actually, said that I'm being completely fair and reasonable, and has arranged for me to come in to swap the loaner Golf for a loaner ID.3 at 5pm today.

I expect being a demonstrator it'll be a Life spec, which still isn't a like-for-like stand-in for my Family spec, but I guess living without some of the toys for a few weeks is the least of my concerns at this point...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I have to say you have more patience than I would have had. How long have they had your car already? A couple of weeks? Even now there's no guarantee that it will be fixed by 16 April, as they are still in VW's hands. I think I'd be rejecting today and asking the dealer for another car or a full refund.
Same here.

@loggamatt I'm surprised you're giving them yet another chance, especially knowing that your case can't be progressed until the EV technician is back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here.

@loggamatt I'm surprised you're giving them yet another chance, especially knowing that your case can't be progressed until the EV technician is back.
I know, I know... I'm disappointed in me too. What can I say, I caved :ROFLMAO:

I suppose part of my thinking is also that if I rejected today I would have no transport at all. My motorbike is off the road until the 22nd as it needs a service and MOT and my motorbike mechanic is all booked up until then. Not ideal for driving around to dealership and trying new cars.

At least now I know I'll have an ID.3 loaner car until the 19th (as dealer agreed to let me keep it for the weekend following rejection day) so can be mobile to go try out other cars, negotiate prices, etc. and be ready to buy my replacement as soon as I almost certainly do reject on the 16th.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
Joined
·
8,597 Posts
@loggamatt

Dealerships are at least open from the 12th.

Might be worth considering a short lease like Onto for a month or two that way you aren't bounced into getting the first EV that's nearby. They have a few EVs so that's also a quick route to trying a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
I know, I know... I'm disappointed in me too. What can I say, I caved :ROFLMAO:

I suppose part of my thinking is also that if I rejected today I would have no transport at all. My motorbike is off the road until the 22nd as it needs a service and MOT and my motorbike mechanic is all booked up until then. Not ideal for driving around to dealership and trying new cars.

At least now I know I'll have an ID.3 loaner car until the 19th (as dealer agreed to let me keep it for the weekend following rejection day) so can be mobile to go try out other cars, negotiate prices, etc. and be ready to buy my replacement as soon as I almost certainly do reject on the 16th.
I do hope they sort it for you. I understand that the replacements modules may be arriving on the 7th, but I guess it depends if yours got “delayed by VW” pending them trying the fix.

As you know, I cancelled my order, I have however also caved and given them a bit more time based on a few concessions from there side. Saying that it may still all fall apart as it seems my part Ex is now nor worth as much as it was yesterday - it’s with the business manager for a decision, but it will go back to being cancelled if the part ex price changes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@loggamatt

Dealerships are at least open from the 12th.

Might be worth considering a short lease like Onto for a month or two that way you aren't bounced into getting the first EV that's nearby. They have a few EVs so that's also a quick route to trying a few.
Oh that's not a bad shout! Yeah, I'll have a look at their prices and keep that in my back pocket as an option, thanks!

I do hope they sort it for you. I understand that the replacements modules may be arriving on the 7th, but I guess it depends if yours got “delayed by VW” pending them trying the fix.

As you know, I cancelled my order, I have however also caved and given them a bit more time based on a few concessions from there side. Saying that it may still all fall apart as it seems my part Ex is now nor worth as much as it was yesterday - it’s with the business manager for a decision, but it will go back to being cancelled if the part ex price changes
God only knows, my assumption though is that they will not fix it, so I'm not holding my breath on replacement modules or asking them any questions about that. This is as much an exercise in me being able to say "there... you couldn't fix it by the deadline that you yourselves set, now gimme my money back please" and giving me time to figure out what my replacement will be as anything else. I've made my peace with waving goodbye to my ID.3 and I suspect that when I see it again in an hour (in order to recover a few bits and bobs I left in it, including charging RFID cards), that will be the last time I ever see it.

And... ha! They really are pushing it with you thinking about changing the terms of the deal with you at the last minute! Yeah, I would be having zero patience for anything like that either!

Gone, finally got my money back last month.
Will stick to my 2 series PHEV for the foreseeable future
Congrats! Did they drag out actually paying the refund once they agreed it? I'm a cash buyer so won't be able to complete the deal on buying my replacement until the VW dealer complete the refund. I'm hoping they don't drag out that process a long time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Call just received from Service Dept at my dealer -

"Hello, just letting you know that we've completed the software update on your ID.3 just now. It's passed all the checks, so we're just washing it now for you and it'll be ready for you to collect in half an hour."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My response was "............... oh. Well. I wasn't expecting this, so I'm kind of speechless."

Service Manager said "yeah, we had a bit of a breakthrough this afternoon. VW gave us a code to try and it all just went through first time fine. I know you've been talking with our business manager about rejecting the car, and obviously that's between you and him, but from our perspective the car has passed checks and is ready."

I honestly don't know how I feel about this now. As per my post literally 20 minutes ago I'd kind of emotionally said goodbye to this car and moved on. I even have a list of dealers all ready prepared to call to speak to other replacement cars I've seen. I've been picking out colours for other cars and everything... haha

So, I guess I'm happy that I'm about to have my car back? Or am I? I honestly don't know... :ROFLMAO:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Call just received from Service Dept at my dealer -

"Hello, just letting you know that we've completed the software update on your ID.3 just now. It's passed all the checks, so we're just washing it now for you and it'll be ready for you to collect in half an hour."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My response was "............... oh. Well. I wasn't expecting this, so I'm kind of speechless."

Service Manager said "yeah, we had a bit of a breakthrough this afternoon. VW gave us a code to try and it all just went through first time fine. I know you've been talking with our business manager about rejecting the car, and obviously that's between you and him, but from our perspective the car has passed checks and is ready."

I honestly don't know how I feel about this now. As per my post literally 20 minutes ago I'd kind of emotionally said goodbye to this car and moved on. I even have a list of dealers all ready prepared to call to speak to other replacement cars I've seen. I've been picking out colours for other cars and everything... haha

So, I guess I'm happy that I'm about to have my car back? Or am I? I honestly don't know... :ROFLMAO:
How uncanny is that - perhaps my car is just missing a special code as well 😂
 
1 - 20 of 303 Posts
Top