Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think it was generally known/believed we probably wouldn't see the car till at least next summer. Hopefully Bjorn Nyland will get his hands on it early enough to help RHD people make a real world informed decision.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So are we going to be asked to commit to buy a car this Autumn, without a test drive? When are the demonstrators due?
Yes, there will be no demonstrators, all cars will be customer deliveries only from what my local Volkswagen brand manager has told me.
To be fair, it will drive pretty much like a Golf, predictable....

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
To be fair, it will drive pretty much like a Golf, predictable....
If it drives just like a Golf I'll be disappointed, it's rear wheel drive to start with. I hope the suspension handles the weight of the batteries much better than the e-Golf does

·
Registered
513 Posts
If it drives just like a Golf I'll be disappointed, it's rear wheel drive to start with. I hope the suspension handles the weight of the batteries much better than the e-Golf does
You have to remember that the iD3 is not a replacement car for the Golf GTI / R. I would say that the Golf is a pretty decent handling / driving car, so it wouldn't be a bad thing if the iD3 did drive like a Golf.
You won't notice the RWD aspect too much compared to FWD as the weight and low power output of the motor will keep the back-end firmly planted with the chances of RWD fun being hard to achieve.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You won't notice the RWD aspect too much compared to FWD as the weight and low power output of the motor will keep the back-end firmly planted with the chances of RWD fun being hard to achieve.
It may be "low power output" to you, but for a lot of people 200bhp will be the most powerful car they have ever owned!😎

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
And 200bhp through the front wheels feels a lot different to the power through the back wheels.
If you don't notice the difference that's fine, but there's quite a bit of difference between the Golf and Polo and they are both fwd.
I'm not looking to hang the back end out but I won't miss the torque steer of the e-Golf or e-Niro.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
And 200bhp through the front wheels feels a lot different to the power through the back wheels.
If you don't notice the difference that's fine, but there's quite a bit of difference between the Golf and Polo and they are both fwd.
I'm not looking to hang the back end out but I won't miss the torque steer of the e-Golf or e-Niro.
What torque steer? Can’t say I’ve noticed that on my e-Golf, or the mapped GTE before it.

A car can be setup to feel however you want it to really, my wife’s 2 series BMW (front drive) feels very similar to a rear drive 1 series with its ‘pivot around the hips’ feel?

Sure, when you start chucking a lot of power to the rear you can get it doing different things to front driver, but there will also likely be an electronic ‘hand of god’ atop the ID3 (and most modern cars) that will be another thing that alters the driving dynamics.

VW have come a long way in making their cars handle more interestingly, any flavour of Golf being one of them. I’m sure they’ll get the ID3 right.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The ID3 will have almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution due to the battery location, and will have a tight turning circle due to being RWD (no need for CV joints).

·
Registered
513 Posts
200bhp in a car that has a weight of 1350kg will feel different to a car with a 1800kg.
The iD3 won't be a drivers car as its not aimed at that market segment, it will be a capable family hatch back with good all round performance.
Out of the smaller EV's due out next year, the iD3 and Honda-E interest me the most. :) I still have a reservation down for a iD3 but originally had two pre-ordered, one has had to make way for a Model 3.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
What torque steer? Can’t say I’ve noticed that on my e-Golf, or the mapped GTE before it.
Try using all of the accelerator. I haven't driven a gte but the e-Golf does have torque steer. It isn't bad and isn't like the Niro or Kona where you have to be careful with the accelerator when overtaking on A roads in sport mode, but I expect with 200 bhp it would be similar.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Trust me, I’ve used all the pedal on both the e-Golf and the GTE, and I’ve never had what I’d describe as torque steer.

The latter had 240bhp at full chat

My brother has a 400bhp RS Focus, now that torque steers!

I wonder if your alignment is out?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Trust me, I’ve used all the pedal on both the e-Golf and the GTE, and I’ve never had what I’d describe as torque steer.

The latter had 240bhp at full chat

My brother has a 400bhp RS Focus, now that torque steers!

I wonder if your alignment is out?
I can't imagine 400 bhp, most I had was 300ish on a RWD bmw. Didn't have a problem with torque steer there, but had to be much more careful with the accelerator than I was used to.
Maybe the e-Golf is too mild in comparison to more powerful cars.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the alignment, rotated the wheels at 25k. They had worn quite evenly and still had 4-5mm of tread left.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The passage below was taken from the "goingelectric" forum pages.

It is translated by google from German, so you have to be a bit imaginative!

There are many hundreds of pages of info and speculation on there, most of it we are already aware of.

Whether this will apply to the UK?

"From 11th September to 9th October 2019 (for residential and small business owners) there will be an opportunity to sign a reservation agreement with the trading partner. With the reservation agreement, the customer has the opportunity to reserve his desired ID.3 1ST model (Line 1, Line 2, Line 3) including exterior color and interior. The reservation agreement can only be created at the specified partner company. The agreement is based on the principle "first come first serve". The binding purchase agreement for the ID.3 1 ST can be concluded from April 2020 at the respectively valid new car sales conditions. The information about the beginning of the orderability is not binding. The reservation agreement is not accompanied by a promise that the vehicle will be delivered at a certain time".

AND ALSO THIS...

"In addition to the exterior color moonstone gray | Glacier white | Manganese gray | Makena turquoise you can also choose the interior: gray / black | Gray / white | Orange / white | Schwarz Remarkable I find "orange / white". That looks like a cujamara split ice cream"

We will see!

·
Registered
472 Posts
You have to remember that the iD3 is not a replacement car for the Golf GTI / R. I would say that the Golf is a pretty decent handling / driving car, so it wouldn't be a bad thing if the iD3 did drive like a Golf.
If the ID3 were front wheel drive it’d struggle with traction, spinning the wheels and torque steering off the line like almost every other front wheel drive EV.

It’ll feel quite different to drive than a Golf with it being pushed rather than pulled by the drivetrain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
€40k euros for the midrange rear wheel drive launch version...So how's that pricing going to scale for the performance 4wd they've promised I wonder?

Anyway, that announcement's just given some of us a helping hand into the Model 3.
Tesla customer service (if that is an actual phrase!) coupled with the general condition they are churning out Model 3’s (paint missing around hinges, dust in the paint, very thin paint in areas and a lack of any sort of true PDI) is enough to put me off buying a Tesla anytime soon, will this change once the rush dies down? possibly but as Model S and X owners have also reported poor paintwork etc i’m not holding my breath.
I will wait until next weekend when I see the ID.3 in the metal before I decide if I will buy one of them.

I wonder when the pool of people keen enough to go full BEV and pay RRP will run out, and BEV purchases will become a buyers market with the haggling that brings. I know I wouldn't be in my GTE if it wasn't for the great deals they had back in late 2017, and I baulk at paying retail for anything unless I absolutely have to.
I'm less than 18 months into the 5 year factory warranty, so I can afford to play the longer game and see how this all plays out.
Don’t expect any discounts anytime soon as apparently they will be loosing money on them anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts

Re above, only VW would spin the problems they are having with the next gen Golf into "not stealing the ID3 thunder" :rolleyes: They plan to sell millions of fosil fuel Golfs worldwide in 2020 with maybe 50K (was originally 100K) MEB based cars that year.

21 - 40 of 132 Posts