Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
If the ID3 were front wheel drive it’d struggle with traction, spinning the wheels and torque steering off the line like almost every other front wheel drive EV.

It’ll feel quite different to drive than a Golf with it being pushed rather than pulled by the drivetrain.
Struggle with 200bhp? I personally doubt it would struggle, they went with RWD to begin with, there will be a AWD version in the future ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Struggle with 200bhp? I personally doubt it would struggle, they went with RWD to begin with, there will be a AWD version in the future ;)
Pulling away, 100% torque from standstill through the front wheels - Yes, it absolutely would struggle to put all the power down without the tyres scrabbling for traction, as does any front wheel drive EV. Ask anyone with a Kona or Leaf 40 who's planted their right foot off the line. That's partly why VW went with rear wheel drive. It's the best drivetrain layout for an EV. Front wheel drive wastes energy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks like the VW comment "about the same price as a similar spec'd Golf diesel" from the Fully Charged video was quite a way off. At 40k for the mid range Golf sized car, I'd say VW have overshot by over 10k. Perhaps he forgot about the EV tax they needed to add on?

With a high spec and the large battery I bet it will be 45k+.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We find out more details tomorrow. If my reservation is over 35k then I am out. It has to be several thousand pounds cheaper than the model 3 for the 1st edition to make sense.

I may even end up sticking with my GTE and over pay my mortgage with the new car fund.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We find out more details tomorrow. If my reservation is over 35k then I am out. It has to be several thousand pounds cheaper than the model 3 for the 1st edition to make sense.

I may even end up sticking with my GTE and over pay my mortgage with the new car fund.
I intend to judge them both next weekend at the IAA.

For me though build quality, paint finish and CS is more important than the better(?) battery tech that Tesla have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What’s the grant worth in UK? It’s €10,000 in Ireland. Means that the ID will be as cheap as most Golfs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EGGY
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
£3.5k

My problem with the ID and long range is the Ionity coverage from Calais to Genoa is pretty poor (and very little being built), which would make it impractical for that journey, in which case I might as well keep the i3. Or wait for the network to expand.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pulling away, 100% torque from standstill through the front wheels - Yes, it absolutely would struggle to put all the power down without the tyres scrabbling for traction, as does any front wheel drive EV. Ask anyone with a Kona or Leaf 40 who's planted their right foot off the line. That's partly why VW went with rear wheel drive. It's the best drivetrain layout for an EV. Front wheel drive wastes energy.
My Golf GTI Performance Edition was great in the dry putting 230hp down.
VW could have easily made it FWD if they wanted to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you were not at 6000 RPM pulling away, you were not putting 230hp down. And we all know what that looks like in any drive configuration.

HP is a function of Torque X RPM. Electric motors have a different Torque curve to IC engines - almost all of their torque is available from 0 RPM, which means its a lot easier to spin the wheels without going full 'chav' on the accelerator.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Would expect them all to have gone out yesterday even if in batches, bit late to send them out this afternoon. Maybe a spam filter.
I had the email at 3pm as well and I don't have a deposit down so not only deposit holders.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
As coda said, driving an EV is different. The e-Golf can struggle to grip with full accelerator in the dry and that's only 135bhp. My Niro isn't great in sport mode, and traction control isn't responsive enough in either to deal with it well.
I'm sure VW could make it work as a fwd car but they would probably have to restrict the power delivery a lot more than they will being rwd. They have chosen rwd for a reason.

41 - 60 of 132 Posts
About this Discussion
131 Replies
43 Participants
SJF73
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing