Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know the 18" rim specs for the ID.3 and whether you can mount the 18" on the Plus and Max?
I'm interested in purchasing a pair of them for the winter tyres so I don't have to (a) buy expensive tyres and (b) risk damaging the rims with swaps and winter driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As the series cars all come with 18's (steel) as standard, (except the Tour), I wouldn't think it is a problem.

18" "East Derry" alloys are the small option.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'm also interested in a set of steel rims so I can get Winter Tyres sorted for use here in UK. Visited dealer yesterday, while there went into parts dept to discuss.
Steels are the 18" size, VW part number is 1EA60102703C price £131.18 each, this includes VAT at 20%.

Rim Size is 7.5"J x 18" PCD 5x112 ET 50
Tyre Size is 215/55 R18

Presumably may need a set of bolts to match, if this is how these wheels attach. Alloys will need longer-reach bolts. If they have studs, then the nuts should cope. At the mo' I don't know which are used.

Apparently none in UK at the moment, so would be ordered from Germany & no idea what the delivery time/date would be.

FWIW I did a detailed search to see if any other VW vehicles use the same rim size, holes, offset etc, and couldn't find a single one. So it looks like this is a brand-new combination of wheel dia/width etc, and no existing ones out there already. Doubtless VW will be concentrating on making these for themselves and their own winter-tyre offerings, and we'd be well down the priority list.

I usually get winters ready-loaded onto rims from mytyres.co.uk but at the mo they have nothing suitable, unless I go for alloys (probably Alutec). Which may be cheaper than VW steels, have to think about this carefully.

I asked about a set of TPMS puncture-warning tyre pressure valves, and the parts man said VW generally don't use them. Instead they do clever monitoring of the rotation speed of the tyre (it has the ABS speed sensors in the hub) to work out if the tyre has a fault. I have no idea if he's right; he thought only the Tiguan uses these.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Pointer to another thread about Winter tyres, with details of the Alloys+Winters-of-your-choice-already-fitted package I've just ordered from mytyres.co.uk, and why I chose my combination.
Driving on snow in the ID.3
Scroll up a bit & there are videos of ID.3 being tested in the snow, all good stuff!

·
Registered
134 Posts
what about 17 inch wheels ?I have a lovely set of vow Madrid alloys that i was either going to use as winter wheels or sell.

ID3 owners : do you think 17 inch wheels will fit?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
What car did they come off? What's the PCD (number of bolts, Pitch Circle Diameter & bolt-diameter? (5 holes on 112mm circle-diameter, bolts themselves are 14mm dia on ID.3. What's the offset? What J size are they?

Unless these have been machined for the ID.3, I think it's unlikely they'll fit. When I got winters for my Fabia Mk2, the suppliers hadn't noticed the front discs were a tiny bit larger, and sold me a set for the Mk1. They didn't fit over the front discs, so had to go back for a 1" larger size to be supplied. So every chance yours will be too small for the discs, but you won't know until someone tries them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What car did they come off? What's the PCD (number of bolts, Pitch Circle Diameter & bolt-diameter? (5 holes on 112mm circle-diameter, bolts themselves are 14mm dia on ID.3. What's the offset? What J size are they?

Unless these have been machined for the ID.3, I think it's unlikely they'll fit. When I got winters for my Fabia Mk2, the suppliers hadn't noticed the front discs were a tiny bit larger, and sold me a set for the Mk1. They didn't fit over the front discs, so had to go back for a 1" larger size to be supplied. So every chance yours will be too small for the discs, but you won't know until someone tries them.
[/QUOTE

They are genuine VW wheels ex Golf mk7.5
the pcd bolt size and offset seems similar for the golf.
my main worry was more associated with:

1. Would they physically fit over the brake assemblies
2. Could I get winter tyre with the correct profile to match the wheel circumference to be close to the OEM wheels.

I will find out soon enough when my car arrives next month but they don’t fit the I guess they will go on sale on eBay and Gumtree

·
Registered
391 Posts
I asked about a set of TPMS puncture-warning tyre pressure valves, and the parts man said VW generally don't use them. Instead they do clever monitoring of the rotation speed of the tyre (it has the ABS speed sensors in the hub) to work out if the tyre has a fault. I have no idea if he's right; he thought only the Tiguan uses these.
Passat, Arteon, Touran and Toureg (and possibly others) have TPMS as an optional extra. I get the impression they only offer it on the bigger cars, and I'm not aware of any VW having it as standard.

·
Registered
134 Posts
what about 17 inch wheels ?I have a lovely set of vow Madrid alloys that i was either going to use as winter wheels or sell.

ID3 owners : do you think 17 inch wheels will fit?
I was out checking my 12V and took the opportunity to check the clearance between the brake calipers and the rim, diameter wise.
It looks about 1 inch, I have the 19. Going to 18 is obviously OK, it will then have 1/2 inch clearance, but going to 17", is risky. It may have some clearance, but it could be just a few mm or it might not have any.
Sell them and get 18. Even if 17 worked, the sidewall will look enomorous :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was out checking my 12V and took the opportunity to check the clearance between the brake calipers and the rim, diameter wise.
It looks about 1 inch, I have the 19. Going to 18 is obviously OK, it will then have 1/2 inch clearance, but going to 17", is risky. It may have some clearance, but it could be just a few mm or it might not have any.
Sell them and get 18. Even if 17 worked, the sidewall will look enomorous :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 138562
:D Thanks - Getting ready holist on eBay:D

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'm looking at PCD 5x112 57.1 wheels -Wheelfitment.eu | PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data and scrolling down there's Golf 7R (2013-) which I assume is v similar to the Golf 7.5 you mention. Offset on that is 48 mm, absolutely fine, as within 2mm of the ID.3's 50 mm. Centre bore at 57.1 is correct, as are the 5 mounting holes & bolt sizes. Possible tyre sizes shown as 205/50 R17, 225/45 R17, 225/40 R18, 235 35 R19, 235 30 R20.
By comparison they show ID.3 as 215/55 R18, 215/50 R19, 215/45 R20.
I'm no tyre expert, but these look very different to me. I suspect that the width of the rim is significantly different, or something else about the rim is.
The sort of Nokian winter tyres I can find for ID.3 all have "SUV" in the description, whereas the Nokians for my Ampera (considerably lighter than ID.3) don't have that in, and are more "saloon" sized.

I get the feeling the ID.3 is a bit of a heavy tank, and needs significantly stronger/meatier tyres than Golfs do. Your rims may fit, but I very much doubt they'll take the tyre size you need ot be using.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,481 Posts
Thinking of weight, the ID.4 is even heavier, and will probably share the same wheels.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
That v useful website shows ID.4 as taking same bolts, centre bore, offset, and these tyres:
235/55 R19, 255/50 R19, 235/50 R20, 255/45 R20, 235/45 R21, 255/40 R21
so at a guess this looks even beefier! Whether the rims are swappable I have no idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts