Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the official line on roof bars for the ID.3?

I seem to think I have read that they're not approved. Is it a timing thing and they will be approved at some point or is there a technical/physical weight limit or other issue.

I noted these for sale and wondered if they're a go-er... Or will I bend something or invalidate warranty.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Anyone know the official line on roof bars for the ID.3?

I seem to think I have read that they're not approved. Is it a timing thing and they will be approved at some point or is there a technical/physical weight limit or other issue.

I noted these for sale and wondered if they're a go-er... Or will I bend something or invalidate warranty.

Just like you can still fit a towbar onto a car not homologated for towing to carry a bike rack etc, so you can fit roof bars to cars not homologated for them.

I see the bars themselves have TüV approval, and as they clamp onto the pressed structure at the top of the door frames, I’d be confident they’d take the maximum load. Lots of cars are not homologated for roof racks, none of them are homologated for the rear tailgate/strap mount versions you see everywhere, which are still legal as long as you don’t obscure lights/number plate or use a lighting board.

As usual with these things, it’s your responsibility to ensure anything you’re doing with/to your vehicle is safe, and complies with rules around projecting loads etc, and I would inform your insurer too.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
From the manual:

Roof carrier
Information on the roof carrier

For technical reasons, the bodywork of the vehicle is not designed for fixing a roof carrier.
The vehicle is not approved for use with a roof carrier. No roof carrier may be used or retrofitted.

WARNING
If a roof carrier is installed on a vehicle which is not approved for use with a roof carrier, it may cause accidents or injuries.
  • Never fit a roof luggage carrier to the vehicle.
  • A roof carrier that is fitted nevertheless may become loose whilst the vehicle is in motion and fall from the vehicle roof.

NOTICE
Securing any kind of roof carrier can cause considerable damage to the vehicle.
Not sure I'd risk it!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Weeeelllllll, for the 78 kWh ID.3 they forbid tow-hitch (I think) & 5th passenger for sure, simply because the weight of the battery maxes out the rest of the suspension to the limits etc, so they'll deffo have forbidden anything extra roof-wise for that reason. Maybe it's just a CMA clause?

VWs are immensely strong at the top of the B pillar, I know that from personal experience. I believe one of the tests of a car is to drop it upside-down onto the roof, so deffo there's some real meat in that part of the shell on top.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm that's interesting re the exclusion of the tow hitch on the 77kw.

Tow/bike hitch is limited to just 56kg so seems marginal in terms of overall impact to suspension etc. (I thought the four seat thing was just a packaging issue).

Thinking about it though I suppose 56kg is a small person extra as would be the extra passenger./ If there was a 5th seat.

Wonder if that means that technically the roof is robust enough but overall you'd have to make sure you didn't have a full car of max weight adults and a full boot too and you'd be ok!.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, they're a good idea (though nearly as pricey as the tow hitch... if it can even be retrofitted (incidentally I'd seen the loom for that option if it possible to retro)) I'd considered the seasucker option but wanted to understand a little more as to why roof bars aren't currently approved first I guess.

I was also considering the use of a roof bag too maybe for the one or two hols a year. But aside from worries over scratching that glossy roof again I wanted to be sure it was a safe possibility.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Why are you concerned about whether a properly designed, manufactured and tested set of roof bars are less safe than sea suckers or a roof bag held on with straps via the door openings?

Is it because VW don’t specifically mention they’re not approved? 🙂

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, it's the whole thing really... Bars bag or sea sucker, etc. Imagine it'll be reet but the engineer in me does wonder what have I missed and why VW seem to have ruled out the use of roof bars.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
According to EV-database the Pro S is:

Weight Unladen (EU)1934 kg
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR)2280 kg

So that's just 346kg for the occupants and luggage. That's just 4 adults with luggage. You really don't need to add anything further.

A typical Golf has a payload nearer 500kg once you allow for some fuel and fluids.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah ok that's more like it I guess. Be nice if they would state that rather than no Roofbars at all.

So unless there's another reason behind it I could put two bikes on the roof on a rack and me and eldest lad could happily go out for a days mountain bike with no worries ....

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
They may be keen to not disturb the aerodynamics of the car! GM went to great lengths in Ampera to discourage any roof-rack or tow-hitch whatsoever, and even went as far as ditching the expected rear-windscreen wiper in their efforts to maximise electrical range. And this in a car with petrol on tap... !
Ioniq does the same - BEV version can't tow, and again no wiper on rear screen.

VW won't want press publicity if some family used to getting 200 miles easily suddenly have to call out the AA after 150 miles 'coz Dad put roofbars & 2 bikes on top...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
They may be keen to not disturb the aerodynamics of the car! GM went to great lengths in Ampera to discourage any roof-rack or tow-hitch whatsoever, and even went as far as ditching the expected rear-windscreen wiper in their efforts to maximise electrical range. And this in a car with petrol on tap... !
Ioniq does the same - BEV version can't tow, and again no wiper on rear screen.

VW won't want press publicity if some family used to getting 200 miles easily suddenly have to call out the AA after 150 miles 'coz Dad put roofbars & 2 bikes on top...
You could say the same of almost any vehicle designed for economy.

The Ampera has the same problem, 1635kg gross weight, payload only 365kg.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's interesting and also a bit disappointing if the issue is the overall payload.

It'd be preferable if the limit was articulated a bit more in terms of a total payload giving some scope for flexibility.

Hopefully its not just another corporate step to dumbing down the world for the lowest common denominator in avoidance of an easy lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Looking at my V5 docs, from lightest to heaviest, I have:

Hyundai Type=AE Variant=B5E11 Version=AX E11BZ1 (BEV SE 38.4 kWh to you & me)
Revenue Weight = 1626 KG GROSS (someone got this wrong; Should == Max Permissible!)
Max Permissible Mass (exc. m/c) = 1970
Mass in service = 1602 (=368 kg less than Max)

Vauxhall Type=D1JOI Variant=AAAA Version=AAAAAAAAA (Ampera Electron, actual battery 16 kWh)
Revenue Weight = (blank, not supplied!)
Max Permissible Mass (exc. m/c) = 2000
Mass in service = 1732 (=268 kg less than Max)

Volkswagen Type=E1 Variant=ACEBJC L1FX2 Version=C0M51AA (Life 58 kWh + HeatPump)
Revenue Weight = 2270 KG GROSS
Max Permissible Mass (exc. m/c) = 2270
Mass in service = 1833 (=437 kg less than Max)

So ID.3 has most ability to take more load; 4 more passengers @75Kg = 300Kg used, then 137 Kg luggage.
Ampera has least; 3 more passengers at 75Kg plus 43 Kg luggage,
Ioniq in-between; 4 more passengers at 75 Kg + 68 Kg luggage.

Will be interesting to see what the ID.3 Long Range, as well as the smaller 45 kWh one can do! Life model comes with SUV type tyres while Ampera & Ioniq have saloon-type (maybe over 2000 Kg threshold?) so will the ID.3 45 kWh, being rather lighter than the 58 kWh, come with thinner & lighter (cheaper) tyres?

Max Permissible Mass is most the vehicle can be when on the road, including loads & passengers etc.
Mass in service is the kerbweight of the car as it left the factory including a 75 Kg driver. It excludes any items added by dealer (carpets(!), maybe towbar, roof-rack, alloys replacing steels?).

Later edit: ID.3 (not the LR) has transport hitch option for up to 3 bicycles, but this is the general definition for all cars I'm trying to clarify here. Towbar weight could easily exceed that by a lot.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's not a towing hitch - its a transport hitch! That is it is not for towing, but for affixing a bicycle rack. I am still waiting for mine, and have been told it is end-Jan 2021.

There are a number of ID.3 vehicles which have a panoramic roof, so definitely no roof bars there. I wonder if the ID.4 has them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm that's interesting re the exclusion of the tow hitch on the 77kw.

Tow/bike hitch is limited to just 56kg so seems marginal in terms of overall impact to suspension etc. (I thought the four seat thing was just a packaging issue).

Thinking about it though I suppose 56kg is a small person extra as would be the extra passenger./ If there was a 5th seat.

Wonder if that means that technically the roof is robust enough but overall you'd have to make sure you didn't have a full car of max weight adults and a full boot too and you'd be ok!.
The weight of batteries for the 77kW means the payload is reduced. Hence it’s a 4 seater only. And also excludes the bike rack. It’s a trade off to get more range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked my car up today and really chuffed with it. Feels pretty nippy too and having fun playing with the toys and features.

Speaking to the dealer it sounds like VW Roofbars are in the pipeline and it's more a case of patience for their approved useage which is good to know.

It'll still be a case of managing the all up weight to keep within max payload but happy with that, so good news I think. Might even pave the way to taking the car on holidays as long as kids don't get too porky and bring too much luggage😬

1 - 19 of 19 Posts