·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,182 Posts
Reactions: Riz_Neo

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
305 Posts
I had a similar thought for a moment or two before getting the i3S having driven FWD all my life, but in practice it's really no issue. As others have said the traction control is miraculously effective, and even if you switch it off you'll find it's just as easy to control as FWD once you've experimented on a few quiet roundabouts...
I'm sure you've driven go-karts anyway, they're all RWD too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
And with the big slugs of torque you get with an EV, rear drive should help the front wheels to get on with just steering the car.
Hoping the ID3 will be an enjoyable thing to drive like the i3 and mini are :)

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
305 Posts
VW haven't managed to do that for a long time. I think probably since the Mk3 came out...

·
Registered
115 Posts
VW haven't managed to do that for a long time. I think probably since the Mk3 came out...
Cant agree with that. They (VW) did lose their way when it came to making cars that were enjoyable to drive but definitely turned it around with the MQB platform.
We have a 2015 Seat leon and it's great fun. Ok, the torsion beam rear end is a bit short on playfulness compared with a good multi link set up and the steering is a little numb, but it's still a hoot to hustle down the local B roads.

Will be truly surprised if most cars on the MEB platform are not a giggle to drive ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Learned to drive in RWD cars only changed to FWD due to manufactures design and packaging
RWD always felt better but I get the concern from anyone not having driven anything other than FWD
Btw all trucks and a lot of vans are RWD and they have no issues on the road with modern restrictions and tech onboard

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
305 Posts
Cant agree with that. They (VW) did lose their way when it came to making cars that were enjoyable to drive but definitely turned it around with the MQB platform.
We have a 2015 Seat leon and it's great fun. Ok, the torsion beam rear end is a bit short on playfulness compared with a good multi link set up and the steering is a little numb, but it's still a hoot to hustle down the local B roads.
Ironically the best car to drive I have is the Corrado which has a torsion beam rear suspension setup and the most boring is the MQB golf, with multi-link rear suspension.. :)
It's exactly that - numb steering - that totally kills it. The old hydraulic assist racks had a fluidity and feedback that none of the electric assisted cars can come close to thus far. Coupled with the instant throttle response of a large naturally aspirated V6 it is way more fun to drive than the turbo four pot MQB cars I've driven (even if ultimate handling grip level is not quite as high as the newer cars).

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is indeed a shame that hydraulic steering is all but consigned to history now. I had a Focus for 8 years before the Leon and the difference in steering feel is still obvious every time I drive it.
Think Mclaren are the only manufacturer still fitting fluid racks, and I can't afford one of them :cry:

Having said that, the Leon feels bloody great after I drive wifies leaf, it's the very embodiment of a slow witted numb electric tiller, absolutely horrible IMO :mad:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts