Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mmmm.....I’ve had a feeling this isn’t going well from a few articles over the past few months. The lack of positive news, the UK release with zero Q&A time, all bode badly to me.
Still on the list, but on the cusp of taking the deposit back....
I don’t want to be their guinea pig!

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Having just read the article, I just can’t imagine a ‘VW Spokesperson’ as they describe them saying the things they quote.

Maybe they have latched onto a disgruntled employee, but I doubt it.

The ID.3 is going to be late, that’s for certain (Cv-19 will see to that), but they’ll get it all working. If the auto industry and suppliers are as laid up as the aerospace ones are, it’s going to be difficult to do anything for a while.

What I don’t understand is what specifically are the issues with the car software. I mean, I drive a perfectly functioning VW BEV now so it must be to do with some other feature that current VW BEVs don’t have?

The ID.3 is an important car for VW, they will get it right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the important safety critical systems aren't taking to each other, the car won't be safe to drive.

VW have offshore and outsourced software development and that hasn't worked well for them.

I am sure the cars will be available eventually and we can all fly off in Boeing 737Max flights to the new Berlin airport to go to collect them 😀

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
What I don’t understand is what specifically are the issues with the car software. I mean, I drive a perfectly functioning VW BEV now so it must be to do with some other feature that current VW BEVs don’t have?
You drive a converted ICE which has the same software base architecture.

The ID is a ground up BEV where they have started from a clean sheet. This means they have tried to have greater control of all the subsystems to allow OTA updates. However it’s not going well.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
If the important safety critical systems aren't taking to each other, the car won't be safe to drive.
Well, yes, that much is obvious.

Do we know exactly what the problem with the software is? What safety critical systems are in software?

Why do they work in an e-Golf and not an ID.3?

That’s why I was asking if it’s a new capability (self driving?) that’s the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
You drive a converted ICE which has the same software base architecture.

The ID is a ground up BEV where they have started from a clean sheet. This means they have tried to have greater control of all the subsystems to allow OTA updates. However it’s not going well.
That makes more sense, and sounds plausible.

Time to strip back the software then removing OTA updates, apparently the prototypes drove very well and functioned perfectly as cars.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Time to strip back the software then removing OTA updates, apparently the prototypes drove very well and functioned perfectly as cars.
They probably do under test drive conditions.

It’s always the edge cases that get you. Like making sure a weird combination of settings doesn’t bork the car mid drive and demand you pull over and reset the car.

Or weird behaviour with the driver assist functions, most likely.

·
Registered
338 Posts
They probably do under test drive conditions.

It’s always the edge cases that get you. Like making sure a weird combination of settings doesn’t bork the car mid drive and demand you pull over and reset the car.

Or weird behaviour with the driver assist functions, most likely.
& this is why I don’t want to be the guinea pig for their outsourced development!!
Only hanging on with my deposit for the possible option to get a later one.....but I will certainly not be taking v1 ;)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,930 Posts
Beta testers would be right. I loathe the new tendency, led by Tesla, to produce very clever computers on wheels. Complete with the IT philosophy that it's all too complicated to test properly but you can let the customers find the bugs for you.

My little ray of hope is that VW will bring forward the base model of the ID 3 earlier as it will have none of the clever bells and whistles. That's the one I want.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Beta testers would be right. I loathe the new tendency, led by Tesla, to produce very clever computers on wheels. Complete with the IT philosophy that it's all too complicated to test properly but you can let the customers find the bugs for you.

My little ray of hope is that VW will bring forward the base model of the ID 3 earlier as it will have none of the clever bells and whistles. That's the one I want.
All cars have software bugs.

Only some provide free updates that improve the product and provide you with new features.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
I’ve been so close to buying an inventory M3 the last few weeks (even without driving one), Cv-19 has stopped that for now, but I think inevitably I’ll be getting one in the absence of anything else longer range coming out from VW soon.

If I could just shoehorn a 50 KWh pack into my e-Golf though, I’d be very happy!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,930 Posts
All cars have software bugs.

Only some provide free updates that improve the product and provide you with new features.
Sorry, I can't agree with your statement.

No car I have ever owned has had a software bug. Admittedly my present car is Golf GTE now three years old nearly and the previous one was an 09 registered Focus deisel.

Arguably the Focus had no 'software' in the modern sense just an engine management system that is still going strong run by my son.

As I said, I deplore the trend towards the computer on wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,930 Posts
I don’t know what you mean. They very much run software.

Best that you buy a car with a carburettor then. :)
Quite happy with a properly tested engine management system or BEV equivalent, thank you. So no bugs.

Don't want or need all the infotainment complexity that causes the headaches.

I'd rather have something that works and keeps working than a system that can be endlessly debugged and 'improved' by remote control. I do acknowledge that it's all very clever and cutting edge - but not exciting.

As someone else very nicely put it, I want a car not a playpen.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe I am a rarity, but I would still buy the car knowing as soon as the software is improved it will be done so automaticity over the air.

Tesla are updating their software all the time, admittedly the software is completed when the car is bought and it is only improvements.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can join us Tesla beta testers if you like? :)
Perhaps I shouldn't start reading the Tesla forums then 😆 I have to admit, I am loosely aware of gripes on quality with Teslas....not read/heard much about s/w issues - no need to scare me yet :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts