Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1425 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my 1st Edition back with 2.1 took a day and a half. I seem to have a problem with the steering wheel heater stuck on even though it says it’s off (any thoughts??)
Also a couple of red collision alert warnings when moving passed parked cars, seems a bit more sensitive there.
Only driven it about 10 miles though so not tested it much.
There's an option in the settings (can't find it as no car atm) where it defaults to steering wheel heating on and seats - it's optional. I'll see if I can remember where it is.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a brand new golf diesel auto loaner. The interior was much more dated and probably worse in terms of quality eg. Steering wheel, indicators, plastics. Of course the haptic buttons are very similar.
Handling wise the golf felt more road hugging, less roll, with more seat side support.
Driving wise the golf had noticeable dips in getting the power down.
In short the ID3 is much superior for me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,344
Also a couple of red collision alert warnings when moving passed parked cars, seems a bit more sensitive there.
I've had this a couple of times on mine since 2.1. Have just ignored it so far as it's just been the light with no braking. If it slams on the brakes with a false alert it will be a trip back to the dealer for sure.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
5,919 Posts
You can also set up the wheel heating as a shortcut on the swipe down shortcut menu on the main screen, touch the icon to cycle through heating level 1, 2, 3 and off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I looked in both of those suggested settings places, it said the steering wheel heating was off but it was still blazing on I guess the highest setting!
Anyway after 1 hour switched off it seems to have corrected. One to watch.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Anyone else think that lane-keeping assist is much less irritating in 2.1? In fact, so much less irritating that I might actually be glad it exists now!
I don’t know about less irritating, but it somehow seems more refined now, it followed a lane the other day for me (in more idle testing!) and didn’t seem to zig zag down it like previously?

I will be very interested in purchasing aftermarket ‘Travel Assist’ if they offer that at some point, but seems that they’ve refined the standard lane assist a little.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don’t know about less irritating, but it somehow seems more refined now, it followed a lane the other day for me (in more idle testing!) and didn’t seem to zig zag down it like previously?

I will be very interested in purchasing aftermarket ‘Travel Assist’ if they offer that at some point, but seems that they’ve refined the standard lane assist a little.
In my extremely limited testing I've found that there are roads that it used to turn on in residential areas - that were always stupid places for it to try to keep you in lane - that it doesn't turn on at all anymore. And then, as you say, on faster roads it is somehow more refined... hard to explain how, but I think it is. Seems more deliberate maybe and less 'nagging' is the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Well if I ever get mine, I’ll let you know what travel assist is like - it could be a long wait

·
Registered
113 Posts
Doh!

I'd had 3 incidents of the all-out red lights on 2.0, which all disappeared almost as soon as I could look at the dash to find out why the car wanted me to stop.

Now I realise they were collision avoidance warnings... And that it ought to make me focus outside the car first rather than inside.

I really must (re-)RTFM...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m still on 0564 at the moment with my car booked in in a couple of weeks for the update. I was wondering if someone who has had the update done successfully could offer me a few crumbs of comfort about how the main screen performs afterwards. Mine is really bugging me. First I get the online/ offline message every time - I know this will be gone. Then it takes what seems like a minute before it wakes up and is ready for any interaction, then it’s really slow before it will let me into the assist screen so I can turn off the wretched lane assist. Does any of this get any better with 2.1?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m still on 0564 at the moment with my car booked in in a couple of weeks for the update. I was wondering if someone who has had the update done successfully could offer me a few crumbs of comfort about how the main screen performs afterwards. Mine is really bugging me. First I get the online/ offline message every time - I know this will be gone. Then it takes what seems like a minute before it wakes up and is ready for any interaction, then it’s really slow before it will let me into the assist screen so I can turn off the wretched lane assist. Does any of this get any better with 2.1?
I can’t speak for 2.1 (yet) but 2.0 was noticeably faster and less laggy. I had all of your frustrations and they all went away.

·
Registered
976 Posts
When you say the online/offline message, do you mean the splash screen where you can pick between offline mode and online mode? So far for me, that still comes up. I assume that's by design rather than a fault though?

In my limited experience so far, 2.1 is significantly faster than 2.0 which was, itself, significantly faster than 0564 in terms of screen lagginess. It isn't perfect yet - launching into Apple Carplay can still take a while, and it seems to be hit or miss as to whether it launches straight in or whether I have to tap the Apple Carplay button (picking between the bizarre choice still of Apple Carplay or Baidu Carlife!). Though once it has started, it is glitch free for me so far. Plus, having to press the button on screen sometimes to make it connect is still a lot easier than plugging in a cable to do wired Carplay as in most competing cars.

But in terms of general responsiveness, quite snappy so far I think. It probably still isn't at its slickest within the first 30 seconds or so of booting up, but not so bad that it prevents you from using it or doing things pretty quickly.

So, compared to 0564, an enormous improvement yes!

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
I’d agree with @loggamatt, I went from 0564 to 0792, so I got the full experience of going from from laggy to zippy! Ok, if not zippy, then more than acceptable.

You will always get the splash screen for online/offline, you can choose to travel ‘incognito’ if you like.

There is a certain amount of booting up, but it’s much reduced from 0564. The Tesla we have takes a little while to boot up as well, seems the norm for such computer based systems.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
109 Posts
I picked mine up from Lincoln 2 weeks ago. I was told I was the 11th id3 they had sold and they were doing the updates in order. 🤷‍♂️. Was told they would contact me but might email see how they doing!!
I've just phoned Lincoln to get my wife's ID3 booked in and the servcie department told me that Lincoln were not updating ID3's! They tried to get me booked in to Nottingham!

Call to dealer Principal I think as VW customer service in not open today.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’d agree with @loggamatt, I went from 0564 to 0792, so I got the full experience of going from from laggy to zippy! Ok, if not zippy, then more than acceptable.

You will always get the splash screen for online/offline, you can choose to travel ‘incognito’ if you like.

There is a certain amount of booting up, but it’s much reduced from 0564. The Tesla we have takes a little while to boot up as well, seems the norm for such computer based systems.
Yeah, try doing anything on a smartphone within the first 30 seconds of it booting, a similar lag-tastic experience usually.

That said, going from off to on is a more common thing to do in a car than with a lot of other computer devices like phones that tend to be left on all the time. So cars do need to be able to cope with that better than phones. But as you say, the ID.3 seems to be at least acceptable in that regard now with 0792 (based on my extremely limited testing!! haha).

And again, SO much better than the courtesy Golf Mk8 I had. Not sure whether this is true or not as I haven't looked into it personally, but my dealer said yesterday that VW have prioritised getting the software improved on the ID.3 over the Golfs as it is a more visible thing for them due to all the brand new model line attention it is getting. So Golf customers aren't exactly jumping for joy at the moment either!

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Yeah, try doing anything on a smartphone within the first 30 seconds of it booting, a similar lag-tastic experience usually.

That said, going from off to on is a more common thing to do in a car than with a lot of other computer devices like phones that tend to be left on all the time. So cars do need to be able to cope with that better than phones. But as you say, the ID.3 seems to be at least acceptable in that regard now with 0792 (based on my extremely limited testing!! haha).

And again, SO much better than the courtesy Golf Mk8 I had. Not sure whether this is true or not as I haven't looked into it personally, but my dealer said yesterday that VW have prioritised getting the software improved on the ID.3 over the Golfs as it is a more visible thing for them due to all the brand new model line attention it is getting. So Golf customers aren't exactly jumping for joy at the moment either!
I think you’ve driven a Mk8 Golf for longer than me unfortunately, and although my courtesy car didn’t throw any errors up in the 7 days I had it until I was driving it back to the dealer , it was clear when I’d got my updated ID.3 back that it was slicker than the Golf.

I bet the VW dealers are loving this new software interface if they’ve got Golfs to look forward to updating as well, albeit the Golf isn’t using the same underlying tech of the ID models as far as I know.

1341 - 1360 of 1425 Posts