Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1425 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've just phoned Lincoln to get my wife's ID3 booked in and the servcie department told me that Lincoln were not updating ID3's! They tried to get me booked in to Nottingham!

Call to dealer Principal I think as VW customer service in not open today.
I tried to get mine booked in at Lincoln as they are my nearest dealer. You have to call Vertu HQ somewhere in the north east to book it in and the guy there told me Lincoln were booked up for ID3 software updates as far into the future as his system would let him go (three months). He said the best he could do was to keep checking as slots became available on a rolling basis and get back to me. I must be honest and say that sounded a bit fishy to me, but I agreed. That was 10 days ago and still nothing more heard.

I wasn’t waiting 3 months for the update so I trawled around to find my next nearest dealer, which was JCT600 at Boston. They booked me in with only a three week wait and this was largely because I wanted a loan car rather than the ongoing calamity that Vertu seem to be having.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’d agree with @loggamatt, I went from 0564 to 0792, so I got the full experience of going from from laggy to zippy! Ok, if not zippy, then more than acceptable.

You will always get the splash screen for online/offline, you can choose to travel ‘incognito’ if you like.

There is a certain amount of booting up, but it’s much reduced from 0564. The Tesla we have takes a little while to boot up as well, seems the norm for such computer based systems.
I was sure I read somewhere on here that the online/offline thing goes away with 2.0 and 2.1. Must have been a brainstorm. Having said that I don’t see why it can’t be made a persistent setting - why should it need confirming every trip?

The real kicker for me though is how long will it take me from getting in the car to being able to turn the lane assist off? I can’t get going until I have. I live in the wilds of Lincolnshire and every journey I make is on 40/50/60 limit single carriageway country roads with poor line markings. I’m sure lane assist is great on motorways and DCs, but on the roads I use it is an accident waiting to happen - tugging at the steering wheel, bongs going off, warning messages popping up. Madness.

I‘ve been thinking back and I reckon I had 4 cars prior to the ID3 that had lane assist (Skoda Superb, 2 x VW Tiguan and BMW 320i). In each one it could be turned off and it would stay off. Happy days.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
5,919 Posts
I was sure I read somewhere on here that the online/offline thing goes away with 2.0 and 2.1. Must have been a brainstorm. Having said that I don’t see why it can’t be made a persistent setting - why should it need confirming every trip?

The real kicker for me though is how long will it take me from getting in the car to being able to turn the lane assist off? I can’t get going until I have. I live in the wilds of Lincolnshire and every journey I make is on 40/50/60 limit single carriageway country roads with poor line markings. I’m sure lane assist is great on motorways and DCs, but on the roads I use it is an accident waiting to happen - tugging at the steering wheel, bongs going off, warning messages popping up. Madness.

I‘ve been thinking back and I reckon I had 4 cars prior to the ID3 that had lane assist (Skoda Superb, 2 x VW Tiguan and BMW 320i). In each one it could be turned off and it would stay off. Happy days.
Blame NCAP for the chore that is switching it off, a car can’t get a 5 Star safety rating without it now, and it has to default to on, and be more than a one click switch off.

I live in the wilds of Lincs as well, the 0792 implementation of lane assist seems to be better, less false alarms, but the tugging at the wheel has never been that severe, it’s easily overridden.

I used to turn it off in the early days, but now just leave it alone and I get very few nags.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Blame NCAP for the chore that is switching it off, a car can’t get a 5 Star safety rating without it now, and it has to default to on, and be more than a one click switch off.

I live in the wilds of Lincs as well, the 0792 implementation of lane assist seems to be better, less false alarms, but the tugging at the wheel has never been that severe, it’s easily overridden.

I used to turn it off in the early days, but now just leave it alone and I get very few nags.
That will be good news if it works the same with my driving style. I’d much rather not have to go through the rigmarole of turning it off every time if it will behave itself. I can live with the occasional nag, like the false alarms from the collision warning system, when I know the guy in front is turning off the road ahead and will be gone before I get there so I don’t need to brake, but the car is convinced disaster is imminent. When my son is in the car and this happens, I quote Darth Vader to the warning: “I find your lack of faith disturbing” How we laugh.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It is much better, I live in the lanes of the Cotswolds and it used to bug me on 0564. Its much better now on 2.1 but not great but it only irks me to the point that it only gets turned off on longer journeys. The shorter ones are fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to turn it off religiously, now on 2.0, I tend to forget - only sometimes being reminded by a tug of the wheel.... Not so invasive I feel, roll on 2.1.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used to turn it off religiously, now on 2.0, I tend to forget - only sometimes being reminded by a tug of the wheel.... Not so invasive I feel, roll on 2.1.
I don’t mind the tugs (fnarr), it’s the beeping and messages to take ‘control of the car’ I can live without.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
81 Posts
Got my 1st Edition back with 2.1 took a day and a half. I seem to have a problem with the steering wheel heater stuck on even though it says it’s off (any thoughts??)
Also a couple of red collision alert warnings when moving passed parked cars, seems a bit more sensitive there.
Only driven it about 10 miles though so not tested it much.
I noticed the steering wheel heating and seat hearing on after the 2.1 update (on a cold morning), which I had not set before. I went in and adjusted the climate settings again and now its been behaving. No issues with collision warnings recently. For me the lane assist is much improved, to the extent that I leave it on now, before it used to winge for me to take over steering and beep etc. when I had my hands on the wheel !

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
74 Posts

I saw Battery Life Chris mention in one of his earlier videos that he expected 2.1 to get rid of the online/offline start-up screen, but his 2.1 upgrade video showed it was still there.

I'm on 2.0 and don't seem to get any bongs from the lane keep assist, just road marking lines on screen showing in orange instead of white and sometimes messages or tugging on the wheel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw Battery Life Chris mention in one of his earlier videos that he expected 2.1 to get rid of the online/offline start-up screen, but his 2.1 upgrade video showed it was still there.

I'm on 2.0 and don't seem to get any bongs from the lane keep assist, just road marking lines on screen showing in orange instead of white and sometimes messages or tugging on the wheel.
I have been hanging out with Chris, so maybe that’s where I saw it.

I do get bongs so I wonder if that is just with 0564? The message on the driver’s screen is something about ‘take back control of the car’. I thought this was a follow-up to the lane assist steering wheel intervention temporarily taking control. I’m definitely not driving it hands-free.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
109 Posts
I tried to get mine booked in at Lincoln as they are my nearest dealer. You have to call Vertu HQ somewhere in the north east to book it in and the guy there told me Lincoln were booked up for ID3 software updates as far into the future as his system would let him go (three months). He said the best he could do was to keep checking as slots became available on a rolling basis and get back to me. I must be honest and say that sounded a bit fishy to me, but I agreed. That was 10 days ago and still nothing more heard.

I wasn’t waiting 3 months for the update so I trawled around to find my next nearest dealer, which was JCT600 at Boston. They booked me in with only a three week wait and this was largely because I wanted a loan car rather than the ongoing calamity that Vertu seem to be having.
I got an email from the Lincoln Dealer Principal who said he was going to have a word with the service department when they open after the weekend closure and see what can be done. He said that they booked 2 cars in a week for the update - not enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The online thing will never go away, it's data protection and VW can't make the same assumption the same driver will always be driving the car. It clears after a few seconds anyway.

I have also noticed that the 2.1 upgrade has also introduced a sticker the sun visor that reads broadly along the lines of 'read the privacy policy at the following link or in the cars manual, if you don't agree, don't drive the car'.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been hanging out with Chris, so maybe that’s where I saw it.

I do get bongs so I wonder if that is just with 0564? The message on the driver’s screen is something about ‘take back control of the car’. I thought this was a follow-up to the lane assist steering wheel intervention temporarily taking control. I’m definitely not driving it hands-free.
After another journey earlier and paying a bit more attention to the message that pops up when the gong sounds, I’m now wondering if I am falling foul of travel assist rather than lane assist, specifically the bit where it detects if your hands are not on the steering wheel and it tells you off. I think mine may be a bit sensitive and it is kicking off if even one of my hands strays from the wheel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
After another journey earlier and paying a bit more attention to the message that pops up when the gong sounds, I’m now wondering if I am falling foul of travel assist rather than lane assist, specifically the bit where it detects if your hands are not on the steering wheel and it tells you off. I think mine may be a bit sensitive and it is kicking off if even one of my hands strays from the wheel.
Then again, it seems my Family trim does not have travel assist, so perhaps not.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,780 Posts
I still don't like lane assist. My wife had the ID3 for the day yesterday and said it was giving her messages about keeping in the centre of the lane and she's a much more careful driver than I am.
I still turn it off when it tugs at the wheel and I'm too inpatient to wait until the car has fully booted up to drive off so do it on the move.
That makes it more unsafe than not being able to have it default to off as its usually after several minutes that I notice it tugging at the wheel or putting up messages about taking control of the car or keeping in the centre of the lane, and switch it off.

It's just a PITA and should be removed

·
Registered
242 Posts
You're making the decision to turn it off on the move, surely that makes you the cause of the increased danger and not the car?

1361 - 1380 of 1425 Posts