Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my misses and I moved to the UK a few years ago (she's British and I'm American). We weren't sure of where we were going to settle and what our work/lifestyle was going to be so we purchased a banger of a car - a 2004 VW Golf 2.0.
Surprisingly it's been solid for what we've needed it for/price we paid, but have been more recently decided to finally join the light side and move to an EV. We've test-driven Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, BMW, and VW variants and keep coming back to the ID.3. A part of me is excited at the thought of being the first in my family and hers to adopt this kind of tech, but I wonder how practical of a choice it is (we've decided on the Max trim level). I'm nearly sold but feel a bit uneasy about the following compromises:
  • Paying £42k for a car that has cloth seats and steel wheels (we went with the Max because it at least has more than front speakers...o_O)
  • It's considerably roomie but a part of me feels like the extra space in the ID.4 may be worth the price difference (though it may just be the American/SUV-centric in me?)
  • I had an absolute nightmare with the infotainment/ID system on 2 test drives. Major lag/delays in responses, and in some cases wouldn't recognize my voice but would my wife's perfectly. I know VW has already released 2.1 software and hopefully more updates to follow (with OTA) so this is probably a null and void comment, but still shocking given the price tag.
  • Seeing the actual savings with moving to EV tech, following not only purchase of the vehicle, but the installation of a home charger and any other public charging facilities and fees.
Basically I just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake :p

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Any reason not to consider the e-Niro?

• More equipment for the money. The 4+ trim has all kinds of goodies
  • Alloy wheels
  • Pretty good sound system
  • Well functioning infotainment system
  • 7 years full warranty

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
So my misses and I moved to the UK a few years ago (she's British and I'm American). We weren't sure of where we were going to settle and what our work/lifestyle was going to be so we purchased a banger of a car - a 2004 VW Golf 2.0.
Surprisingly it's been solid for what we've needed it for/price we paid, but have been more recently decided to finally join the light side and move to an EV. We've test-driven Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, BMW, and VW variants and keep coming back to the ID.3. A part of me is excited at the thought of being the first in my family and hers to adopt this kind of tech, but I wonder how practical of a choice it is (we've decided on the Max trim level). I'm nearly sold but feel a bit uneasy about the following compromises:
  • Paying £42k for a car that has cloth seats and steel wheels (we went with the Max because it at least has more than front speakers...o_O)
  • It's considerably roomie but a part of me feels like the extra space in the ID.4 may be worth the price difference (though it may just be the American/SUV-centric in me?)
  • I had an absolute nightmare with the infotainment/ID system on 2 test drives. Major lag/delays in responses, and in some cases wouldn't recognize my voice but would my wife's perfectly. I know VW has already released 2.1 software and hopefully more updates to follow (with OTA) so this is probably a null and void comment, but still shocking given the price tag.
  • Seeing the actual savings with moving to EV tech, following not only purchase of the vehicle, but the installation of a home charger and any other public charging facilities and fees.
The ID.3s coming out of the factory now with the 2.1 software seem to be mostly fault free from what I can gather, most people who are having issues seems to be when the car is updated at the dealers from earlier versions.

It has its quirks, sure, and being so new the jury is still out on long term reliability, but there are arguably both worse and better EVs to be in.

The most important point is to buy what you like, you’ve got to live with it, not anybody else.

Personally, I’d struggle with an ID.3 at the 42k price point despite the tech, but at around £30k I think it makes a lot of sense. I’m over 10k miles in mine now, hasn’t let me down, and I enjoy driving it just as much as the Tesla we also have on the drive.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’ve got a Max, but didn’t pay anywhere near £42K, ;(well under £40k) and it’s got alloys, heat pump and metallic. Despite mine being a problem child, I really like the car.

I’ll comment on a few aspects, I feel able to do this with some knowledge as I drove a First Edition for 6 weeks before getting the Max.

I agree, it’s still a lot for the type of car, but to be honest, I’m finding the tech way better than expected - travel assist seems very clever (not intrusive) and although a nice to have, the HUD is great. I wasn’t expecting much from the DCC, but again, I’ve been pleasantly surprised, when using comfort settings the ride is definitely softer, it’s also great to be able to switch to sport and have a nice much tighter feel. Likewise, I also find the steering better, more precise. A number of people have commented that the front seats are also better - I think this comes down to the wider range of adjustment and good lumber support. One of my favourite features is the roof, that expanse of glass makes an already airy car, almost feel like you’re outside. We won’t talk about ID3 with only front speakers, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the set up in the max. I admit I was initially a little taken back with the interior, but I now find it fresh, modern and minimal - lots of other interiors now feel dated and a bit claustrophobic.

I guess it comes down to what you want from the car - I’m sure the max will devalue faster than other models, but to be honest, I don’t care.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts

• Alloy wheels
  • 7 years full warranty
Yes, it’s an SUV.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There’s a couple of VW dealers who post on the UK ID3 owners Facebook group, one of them mentioned the increased PCP contribution that VW have on the Family and Max right now, which makes up for the removal of the government grant.

They were advertising a Max with metallic paint and alloys, once all the discounts had been applied, at £35,500.

Drive The Deal have the same spec at £35,800. Have a look on CarWow as well, although DtD came out a lot cheaper for my Tour.

Definitely no need to pay £42k!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are happy with the size of the Golf then the ID3 would seem to make more sense than the ID4. As a former Focus / Astra and current Golf GTE owner the ID4 and the various SUV style EVs don't really appeal to me. The only things that are show stoppers for me with the ID3 are the lack of support for trailer / roof bars.

Worth shopping around for deals - the 'bargains' in December 2020 have gone, they may be back in December 2021 but no guarantees. Drivethedeal.com have had some good deals (no connection other than as a satisfied customer).

The infotainment system will hopefully improve but again no guarantees. If the current performance is something you can live with fine, but if it is a deal breaker I would not want to spend so much on a car in the hope that it will improve.

If the ID4 is a consideration then also worth a look at the Skoda Enyaq - same car as ID4 under the skin but different controls etc (not sure if this helps with lagginess etc of infotainment system).

·
Registered
586 Posts
The higher trim specs do seem a disproportionate price hike vs the life. Even at £34k discounted, I just can't get my head around the extras that come for a whopping £7k more than the Life Pro Performance discounted to a similar level.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
450 Posts
2.1 has largely sorted out most bugs and improved infotainment lag, although there is a bug or two to fix in that methinks. Voice control remains a joke though.
I couldn’t live with steel wheels or the cloth interior but that’s personal taste.
I would also look for new car deals on Autotrader. And maybe consider other ID3 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

• Alloy wheels
  • 7 years full warranty
Test drove this the same day as the Kona Electric. Following the initial test drive I actually preferred the Kona more, probably because I preferred the revamped exterior (2021 model) and some of the cabin layout. The sheer level of standard equipment blew me away, and made both models enticing...that is until we drove the ID.3. My wife and I found the drive on the VW not only smoother and refined but enjoyed the airiness of the cabin - we literally looked at one another and remarked at the same time.

From the Korean side of things I'm more interested in the Ioniq 5/EV6 but don't think I can wait that long :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ID.3s coming out of the factory now with the 2.1 software seem to be mostly fault free from what I can gather, most people who are having issues seems to be when the car is updated at the dealers from earlier versions.

It has its quirks, sure, and being so new the jury is still out on long term reliability, but there are arguably both worse and better EVs to be in.

The most important point is to buy what you like, you’ve got to live with it, not anybody else.

Personally, I’d struggle with an ID.3 at the 42k price point despite the tech, but at around £30k I think it makes a lot of sense. I’m over 10k miles in mine now, hasn’t let me down, and I enjoy driving it just as much as the Tesla we also have on the drive.
Yes, the VW sales agent indicated all newly ordered models are shipping with 2.1 - although I still find it odd that they are allowing demo vehicles to use 2.0 software!

As for price-point, I was only basing this off of VW's MSRP, however, the biggest incentive for the purchase is through my wife's employee scheme. Hence why there will be little to no room for negotiation on price, but the terms and monthly payments blow anything out of the water VW can provide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve got a Max, but didn’t pay anywhere near £42K, ;(well under £40k) and it’s got alloys, heat pump and metallic. Despite mine being a problem child, I really like the car.

I’ll comment on a few aspects, I feel able to do this with some knowledge as I drove a First Edition for 6 weeks before getting the Max.

I agree, it’s still a lot for the type of car, but to be honest, I’m finding the tech way better than expected - travel assist seems very clever (not intrusive) and although a nice to have, the HUD is great. I wasn’t expecting much from the DCC, but again, I’ve been pleasantly surprised, when using comfort settings the ride is definitely softer, it’s also great to be able to switch to sport and have a nice much tighter feel. Likewise, I also find the steering better, more precise. A number of people have commented that the front seats are also better - I think this comes down to the wider range of adjustment and good lumber support. One of my favourite features is the roof, that expanse of glass makes an already airy car, almost feel like you’re outside. We won’t talk about ID3 with only front speakers, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the set up in the max. I admit I was initially a little taken back with the interior, but I now find it fresh, modern and minimal - lots of other interiors now feel dated and a bit claustrophobic.

I guess it comes down to what you want from the car - I’m sure the max will devalue faster than other models, but to be honest, I don’t care.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you opt for the Max? We were initially sold on the Tour until we realized it changes the rear backseat configuration and lowers volume in the boot space, something we just didn't want to sacrifice. Equally, we'd be adding both alloy wheels and a heat pump. Again as an American, I'm all about cupholders and sunroofs, so I don't mind making the compromise of the ID.3 with the pano roof add-on.

Have you tested fast charging speeds? Have you been able to hit 100kwh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There’s a couple of VW dealers who post on the UK ID3 owners Facebook group, one of them mentioned the increased PCP contribution that VW have on the Family and Max right now, which makes up for the removal of the government grant.

They were advertising a Max with metallic paint and alloys, once all the discounts had been applied, at £35,500.

Drive The Deal have the same spec at £35,800. Have a look on CarWow as well, although DtD came out a lot cheaper for my Tour.

Definitely no need to pay £42k!
Cheers for the input! Unfortunately, we are pretty limited in terms of cost as the purchase will be made through the wife's employee scheme.

How are you finding the Tour? I mentioned in a previous comment we were initially interested in this trim but didn't think we could sacrifice the changes made to the rear seat and boot with the increase in batteryy size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are happy with the size of the Golf then the ID3 would seem to make more sense than the ID4. As a former Focus / Astra and current Golf GTE owner the ID4 and the various SUV style EVs don't really appeal to me. The only things that are show stoppers for me with the ID3 are the lack of support for trailer / roof bars.

Worth shopping around for deals - the 'bargains' in December 2020 have gone, they may be back in December 2021 but no guarantees. Drivethedeal.com have had some good deals (no connection other than as a satisfied customer).

The infotainment system will hopefully improve but again no guarantees. If the current performance is something you can live with fine, but if it is a deal breaker I would not want to spend so much on a car in the hope that it will improve.

If the ID4 is a consideration then also worth a look at the Skoda Enyaq - same car as ID4 under the skin but different controls etc (not sure if this helps with lagginess etc of infotainment system).
I think that's why the transition to the ID.3 appears to be more palatable for my wife than me; though I have to admit I've definitely gotten used to nipping around town in the Golf and it's been solid for parking in the most micro of spots!

I have definitely been cross-shopping the ID.4 with the Enyaq and find the price point much more appealing. In fact with a similar set of features to an ID.4 Family, I can get an Enyaq for nearly £100 cheaper a month! Only problem is no demos available yet for test driving and the fact that my wife isn't as keen on "SUV"-like vehicles.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
Yes, the VW sales agent indicated all newly ordered models are shipping with 2.1 - although I still find it odd that they are allowing demo vehicles to use 2.0 software!

As for price-point, I was only basing this off of VW's MSRP, however, the biggest incentive for the purchase is through my wife's employee scheme. Hence why there will be little to no room for negotiation on price, but the terms and monthly payments blow anything out of the water VW can provide.
If you’re buying through a work scheme, then agreed the headline price is far less of an issue. 👍

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
I can't speak to the ID.3 but our ID.4 is easily the best car purchase we've ever made. Despite its size (it is unbelievably roomy inside) it is very easy to maneuver, and the turning radius is insane (I swear its turning circle is smaller than my Zoe!). I haven't checked prices since we got ours in March, but we paid less than £42k for our ID.4 - £40,387 if I recall correctly. I would be very surprised if the ID.3 was more expensive...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't speak to the ID.3 but our ID.4 is easily the best car purchase we've ever made. Despite its size (it is unbelievably roomy inside) it is very easy to maneuver, and the turning radius is insane (I swear its turning circle is smaller than my Zoe!).
That‘s good to hear as I’m currently considering an Enyaq (iD.4 is more than I want to spend). The most likely deal breaker is that it just feels too big (coming from a Golf). Hopefully will get a test drive early next month...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts