Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
And surely this is the inferior battery size driving this?
New IONIQ range is pretty good as more aerodynamic and efficient. Charging doesn't seem great but for someone who doesn't do long journeys often it looks a good deal on some PCH deals. If I didn't have Zoe I might have been tempted - range would be fine for my work use and we have Model 3 for long trips.

·
Registered
872 Posts
New IONIQ range is pretty good as more aerodynamic and efficient. Charging doesn't seem great but for someone who doesn't do long journeys often it looks a good deal on some PCH deals. If I didn't have Zoe I might have been tempted - range would be fine for my work use and we have Model 3 for long trips.
Yeah, we only have one car so need it to be able to do reasonable distance. Unless I'm mistaken, only the Kona, E-Niro, ID.3 and the Tesla 3 do this for under £40k - and the latter is pretty pricey whilst the Kona is too small really.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The new Zoe does 240 miles odd..?
Of course, forgot - have completely discounted it on being too small! Basically I need something for a family of 4 that can take a bit of luggage for the odd holiday. GTE not great of course, which is why I have had the roof box for these occasions. Father in law has the Kona and the boot looks even smaller than the GTE! So hence landing on Tesla, e-Niro or ID.3.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Of course, forgot - have completely discounted it on being too small! Basically I need something for a family of 4 that can take a bit of luggage for the odd holiday. GTE not great of course, which is why I have had the roof box for these occasions. Father in law has the Kona and the boot looks even smaller than the GTE! So hence landing on Tesla, e-Niro or ID.3.
the iD3 boot isnt much bigger than the Golf boot and the iD3 has not frunk.
Tesla Model 3 is a bigger class of car, however it is a saloon and not a hatch back. If you can live the the Saloon boot opening the Model 3 will offer more room and you get the added benefit of the Frunk.
I guess it comes down to your budget as the Model 3 ain't cheap. :(

·
Registered
872 Posts
the iD3 boot isnt much bigger than the Golf boot and the iD3 has not frunk.
Tesla Model 3 is a bigger class of car, however it is a saloon and not a hatch back. If you can live the the Saloon boot opening the Model 3 will offer more room and you get the added benefit of the Frunk.
I guess it comes down to your budget as the Model 3 ain't cheap. :(
Yep - would love the Model 3 but expensive, especially considering the entry level car comes with not fantastic range. Have decided to start a convo on the General EV forum to get as many views as possible on what I should go for :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
It appears that the iD3 Max Edition’s Interior quality / materials used don’t seem anywhere as good as my old Golf R (MK7).
It all sounds very plasticky and also looks like no vegan leather option?
For something which could end up costing up to £50k approx, I think Volkswagen have missed its mark by a long shot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I got my set 4 years ago it was £895 plus VAT. Gone up a little since. They send a diagram of the seats etc with the same panels of the orginal seats, in my case cloth. Emailed back sheet with panel colours and with details, factory in Malaysia makes seat cover kits and air freighted back to UK. Volvo use Bridge of Weir, Scotland, leather which is flown to M, then back to Sweden etc. I bought the car with the seat heater option. Lots of DK extras - piping, logos etc et but I kept it simple.
Still all a perfect fit.

·
Journeyman Human
294 Posts
It appears that the iD3 Max Edition’s Interior quality / materials used don’t seem anywhere as good as my old Golf R (MK7).
It all sounds very plasticky and also looks like no vegan leather option?
For something which could end up costing up to £50k approx, I think Volkswagen have missed its mark by a long shot.
I think the lower end interior and BMW i3 style dash along with the weird way the bonnet area has been handled using that odd looking plastic bulge along the top have been done very purposefully by VW to differentiate it from the upcoming Mk 8 Golf. They don't want this car mainstream just yet, so the Golf gets to have a beautiful integrated dash and higher end interior finish.

VW have to walk a very careful line for now, the Golf has been their golden goose car for over 40 years now. After all if the ID3 was to have a better interior and dash and less quirky styling what reason would anyone have to choose the Golf? The reality is It's technically utterly obsolete next to the ID3 so has to have something to differentiate it.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
I think the lower end interior and BMW i3 style dash along with the weird way the bonnet area has been handled using that odd looking plastic bulge along the top have been done very purposefully by VW to differentiate it from the upcoming Mk 8 Golf. They don't want this car mainstream just yet, so the Golf gets to have a beautiful integrated dash and higher end interior finish.

VW have to walk a very careful line for now, the Golf has been their golden goose car for over 40 years now. After all if the ID3 was to have a better interior and dash and less quirky styling what reason would anyone have to choose the Golf? The reality is It's technically utterly obsolete next to the ID3 so has to have something to differentiate it.
Exactly. In 2020 VW need 95% of customers to chose the new Golf NOT the ID3. They aren't even going to sell it in North America. In 2021 perhaps that will be just 90%, if they can ramp up production and get the cells they need.

All the legacy OEMs have this very difficult transition to manage which is why BMW did the weird and wacky i3. They are being more "bold" with the Electric Mini, but 3 doors and limited range will constrain sales - probably sell 10% or so, which is good of course. All BEV sales are good ;)

Incidentally, if BMW wanted to sell lots of BEV Mini they would have done a Countryman with 250 mile range. It was clearly done on purpose.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts