Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that my ID.3 is finally (touch wood!) working as VW intended, I'm appreciating more and more that VW really thought through the little details extremely well with it.

I love how easy it is to just get in and drive. Walk up to car, it unlocks itself as you get near, sit in the seat and clip your seat belt in, press the brake pedal, put it into drive, move away. Don't need to bother taking your phone out of your pocket or tapping anything on the screen, it just boots itself into Wireless CarPlay and starts playing the last song you were listening to. Even the heated seats and steering wheel turn themselves on when it is cold if you've enabled that in the settings.

In cars of old you'd have had to get your keys out of the pocket, taken your phone out, plug it in, etc. Even on other cars with keyless entry, you'd still have had the additional step of pressing starter buttons.

Now, of course, none of this is life changing - pressing starter buttons isn't hard - but it's just nice how VW thought about how to make it so that you do the fewest amounts of steps possible before moving off.

Much as it is annoying that it took VW a while to iron out the initial problems (and for a few owners they still haven't), once you finally have an ID.3 that's working properly you do find yourself thinking quite a lot that VW made a lot of clever design and interface decisions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In fact, there may be an update tomorrow.

The cars consumed enough power to go 200 miles since it went in on Thursday and as far as I know it’s not left the workshop.

The apps final report showed about 8%, since then, it’s been offline.

I‘m really unsure how I feel anymore, it’s like a rollercoaster - I kind of want it back, but at the same time, I’m not sure I’ll ever trust it to behave.

It’s my Birthday on Wednesday, which coincides nicely with my Polestar test drive. I’m hoping I don’t like it 😂

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In fact, there may be an update tomorrow.

The cars consumed enough power to go 200 miles since it went in on Thursday and as far as I know it’s not left the workshop.

The apps final report showed about 8%, since then, it’s been offline.

I‘m really unsure how I feel anymore, it’s like a rollercoaster - I kind of want it back, but at the same time, I’m not sure I’ll ever trust it to behave.

It’s my Birthday on Wednesday, which coincides nicely with my Polestar test drive. I’m hoping I don’t like it 😂
Maybe they're running their microwave from it in the workshop 😂

I can understand not trusting it anymore, as I felt like that about mine at one point. I'm still not sure I'm at the point that I 100% trust that nothing else will go wrong, but I can say that mine has now been working for a good few weeks without even the tiniest of faults, and it was a former problem child. Admittedly, it was never went off the rails quite as badly as yours did, but hopefully it gives you some hope that ID.3s can reform and turn their lives around!

And also that I can confirm that once it is working and you stop being irritated by errors and faults, you really do start to notice all the nice little touches that VW put into it more and more.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
177 Posts
It's a brilliant car, the more you drive it the more you realise why so much is buried in menus - absolutely no need to use most of it. Just open the door, sit down and go. I leave all the assist systems on and don't find them annoying at all, quite the opposite. Travel Assist is very good for what it is - we're finding it even works around here where there's lots of narrow roads with parked cars on both sides. On motorway it comes into its own.

Clever little things like climate going into Eco mode if you don't have a passenger are a nice touch. Boot door clears the boot completely and makes it really easy to get awkward things (dogs) into it - no awkward lips. Even little details like the charging port cover angling upwards to make sure it doesn't stick out too much.

The big thing that is missing is driver profiles - seems bizarre to have electric seats, adjustable HUD, 2-zone climate and no driver profiles.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
DO all ID3's have wireless carplay as standard?

·
Registered
227 Posts
One important note - the UK ‘1st Edition’ doesn’t have wireless charging, all the other versions do. It still has wireless CarPlay though, but you’d have to plug your phone in if you didn’t want it to drain, rendering it somewhat pointless.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
One important note - the UK ‘1st Edition’ doesn’t have wireless charging, all the other versions do. It still has wireless CarPlay though, but you’d have to plug your phone in if you didn’t want it to drain, rendering it somewhat pointless.
Noted! Will stay well clear of the 1st edition there sounds like all sorts of niggles like that.

Currently weighing it up vs an eniro

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
Noted! Will stay well clear of the 1st edition there sounds like all sorts of niggles like that.

Currently weighing it up vs an eniro
Wireless charging is a very easy retrofit though, I’ve done it as have a few others on here.

I wouldn’t let it dictate my choice of model, put it that way.

A 1st Edition on the latest software is the same as a factory model on the latest software, that’s to say, some will be flaky but most will be fine.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
314 Posts
CarPlay only causes a noticeable phone battery drain on a long journey.

I'd rather have a lot of the other equipment on my 1st than have a lower spec, plus for those long journeys I added a wireless charge pad for less than 15 quid anyhow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts