Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first real analyst deep-dive (certainly that I’ve seen) into the impact of the ID.3 comes out very positively for VW - share prices up considerably on the back of it.

I hadn’t realised Ford were buying into the MEB platform either.....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,534 Posts
I hadn’t realised Ford were buying into the MEB platform either.....
It wasn't widely publicised, but it was known. For me that is strange when Ford seem to have their own platform around the Mach-e... unless the Mach-e is based on the MEB?!?! :unsure:

Reactions: stu-EVs

·
Registered
502 Posts
unless the Mach-e is based on the MEB?!?!
It is indeed. Though a bit of Googling shows Ford "denied" its existence back in late 2019 before announcing it 6 months later.

Edit. Apparently I haven't yet woken up this morning. The new "mini Mach-e" will be on the MEB platform, the existing one isn't.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
The article did say Ford will be leasing the MEB platform for a compact EV in Europe?

Are we sure the Mach-e is based on it, could be Fords rest of the world platform?

Edit: There’s talk of a ‘mini Mach-e’ to be built at the Fiesta plant on the MEB platform, maybe that’s where the idea comes from?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,534 Posts
Edit. Apparently I haven't yet woken up this morning. The new "mini Mach-e" will be on the MEB platform, the existing one isn't.
That sounds reasonable.

But the whole point is that this is a huge deal for VAG and their MEB platform and will have a huge impact on making it a profitable proposition faster.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts

·
EGGY
1,561 Posts
Mate of mine works at Dunton, they are working on MEB and other platforms, It's a while off

·
Registered
161 Posts
The MEB platform deal is for next segment size down, the so-called “mini-Mach-E”.
I was wondering how the MEB platform scaled to so many different size cars. Do different sizes of the platform exist? Or are there going to be a lot of similar-sized cars coming from VAG?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,693 Posts
I was wondering how the MEB platform scaled to so many different size cars. Do different sizes of the platform exist? Or are there going to be a lot of similar-sized cars coming from VAG?
The platform isn’t a fixed size, so it can be scaled up/down for different sized vehicles. Hence the ID.3, 4 etc.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,534 Posts
The platform isn’t a fixed size, so it can be scaled up/down for different sized vehicles. Hence the ID.3, 4 etc.
As far as I know it is not only size but you can have rear-wheel or AWD as well.

So far released cars based on the MEB are:
  • ID.3
  • ID. 4
  • Skoda Enyaq iV
  • SEAT el-Born, or only Born

maybe there are others, that I'm forgetting...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts