Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in this Tesla Bjorn video where the ID.4 is up on ramps having wheels changed, and the VW Norway director talks through some of the features including the infamous drum brakes, which make sense to me on an EV but I know others aren’t so keen.

It’s good to get a look underneath and at how clean the underbody is.

He also mentioned, in Norway at least, that inspection is every 2 years regardless of mileage covered.

What are the ID.4 service intervals in the UK?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was told every 2 years for an inspection regardless of mileage, I asked if they had a price available for the service but no pricing structure was available.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,440 Posts
He also mentioned, in Norway at least, that inspection is every 2 years regardless of mileage covered.
Wow. That strikes me as odd given brake wear etc. I guess that people will have to get used to other interim work based on sensor readings for things like brake pad wear.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. That strikes me as odd given brake wear etc. I guess that people will have to get used to other interim work based on sensor readings for things like brake pad wear.
Strikes me as pretty refreshing to be honest, may as well have the brake wear sensors on board and then use them to dictate when you need to go and get friction material/discs replaced.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
It’s almost as if they might have looked at the service data from eGolfs and realised that pretty much no-one needs their brakes replaced at two years.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
Strikes me as pretty refreshing to be honest, may as well have the brake wear sensors on board and then use them to dictate when you need to go and get friction material/discs replaced.
Eventually we might get to a point where there are no fixed intervals, merely predictions based on HUMS units that anticipate failures or excessive wear.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It’s almost as if they might have looked at the service data from eGolfs and realised that pretty much no-one needs their brakes replaced at two years.
Except lots of brakes would have been replaced due to corrosion, not wear.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 2 years?

That’s one of the reasons they’ve gone with drums on the rear for the IDs, due to corrosion on regular discs.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,120 Posts
I think most people do not realize the brakes are used more often than you think in a EV.

I drove my i3 yesterday to get more use to the ACC.

The road I was on had 30,50 and 60 miles restrictions, a good try out for the ACC, I was amazed that sometimes the car told me there was a speed change up ahead, even before it could be seen (GPS maybe or Sat nav).

Back to the brakes, when going from a 50 or 60 and approaching a 30mph restriction the car would brake to slow down, the regen would not be strong enough to slow down on its own, so I don't think there will be any rust build-up on the front brakes if they are used.

The ACC is new to me!!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,440 Posts
As long as it doesn't result in unnecessary work - "those discs need changing now as they won't last two years" ... :unsure:

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes... as they said in the video, Norway have a lot of salt on the road which causes corrosion. Which is partly why the brakes are in sealed units to prevent the salt water getting in.
I think its interesting but also i also think that, for the UK, the idea of a modified MOT which goes into more detail on the wear and tear of a car and uses diagnostic informaiton to confirm its status might be an interesting way to go.... but wont happen for 20 years!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I cant see that EVs need a service as the MOT does everything that is needed. Servicing is a old concept based on greasing suspension,adjusting brakes for wear,changing oils because they were rubbish etc.

I have had to take my cars to garages but never for an item that would have been seen to on a service. Servicing is BS

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
I cant see that EVs need a service as the MOT does everything that is needed.
MOT is safety and emissions only.

It won’t do any diagnostics to tell you if a system might be developing a problem.

With EVs especially as they are newer platforms, there are more recalls associated which get done during a service. So for £90 or so might be sensible, if not essential.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Drum brakes (rear) are fine for most ICE let alone EVs which use regen and thus lower friction braking demand.

Part of the switch to discs will also have been aesthetic (you can see drums through most alloys) but EVs tend to have more enclosed wheels (better for drag, and less brake cooling required).

Drums are far easier and more reliable to connect up to a handbrake (whether manually or electronically controlled).

And when a drumbrake fails it is usually when a slave cylinder needs replaced which is a damn sight cheaper than a new caliper.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
650 Posts
The brakes on my Yaris hybrid are really quite rusty and no amount of heavy braking is cleaning up more than the outside edge. I’m going to end up replacing all four discs and pads through lack of use. Which is irritating. Rear drums would make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,556 Posts
I'm starting a book on who will start fitting non-ferous brake discs to their EVs.
Any takers?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
The brakes on my Yaris hybrid are really quite rusty and no amount of heavy braking is cleaning up more than the outside edge. I’m going to end up replacing all four discs and pads through lack of use. Which is irritating. Rear drums would make a lot of sense.
Part of the problem is that corrosion on the back of the pads, the end of the piston, the caliper fists, the caliper mounting ( sometimes ) forces everything out alignment which makes the corrosion worse, viscous cycle. ICEs are bad for this, BEVs worse, hence drums.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts